The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2020, 01:03 PM   #76
derotoreut
Roto Reuter thats the name...

Re: Hooker Blackheart 1967-72 C10 Truck LS/LT Swap System Info Thread

I wish they had this system for the SWB K10 4WD. I'd be all over it.

1970 SWB Fleet K10 4X4, 5.3L LM7, 4L60E, Dakota Digital RTX, Vintage Air, Ididit tilt
1971 SWB Fleet C10 - Original SWB Arizona truck, new custom restoration project

"Kick out your motor and drive while you're still alive - kick it out!" - Heart 1977
derotoreut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:06 PM   #77
EddyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddoky View Post
The inlet end is 21” and the outlet end is 21.5”.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks Toddoky. What is the length of the H-pipe assembly (inlet to outlet)?

Thanks again!
Eddy
EddyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:27 AM   #78
toddoky

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyC View Post
Thanks Toddoky. What is the length of the H-pipe assembly (inlet to outlet)?

Thanks again!
Eddy
Roughly 27-1/2".
toddoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:17 AM   #79
EddyC

Quote:
Roughly 27-1/2".
Thanks again. After seeing the Ideaman's pics and taking several measurements this weekend, I verified that this system will NOT work with the ECE transmission crossmember without extensive modification. I decided to go with a custom exhaust system. Thanks again for all of the information.

EddyC
EddyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:22 AM   #80
toddoky

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyC View Post
Thanks again. After seeing the Ideaman's pics and taking several measurements this weekend, I verified that this system will NOT work with the ECE transmission crossmember without extensive modification. I decided to go with a custom exhaust system. Thanks again for all of the information.

EddyC
No problem, good luck to you.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:03 PM   #81
Jason Banks

Sure would be nice if the instructions:
https://documents.holley.com/199r11655.pdf

Listed the part number for the spacers for the different transmissions. It was by dumb luck that I discovered the 11/16 spacer for the 4L60 is PN 71223012HKR. I figured they might be included with the crossmember. But, for $30+ I'll be machining my own spacer.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:16 PM   #82
toddoky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Banks View Post
Sure would be nice if the instructions:
https://documents.holley.com/199r11655.pdf

Listed the part number for the spacers for the different transmissions. It was by dumb luck that I discovered the 11/16 spacer for the 4L60 is PN 71223012HKR. I figured they might be included with the crossmember. But, for $30+ I'll be machining my own spacer.
The part number listings for the crossmembers are currently incomplete and only the base crossmember as used for the T56 is listed. Other crossmember part numbers will be getting released that include the spacers for specific transmissions in them, which is why the instruction sheet reads "Depending on which crossmember you order, there will be a supplied spacer for your specific transmission". I know it is slightly confusing at this time for those of you on the user end of things as the final complete system landscape is not yet visible. If you can machine the spacer yourself and save the $30+, I think that's great.

Last edited by toddoky; 01-13-2020 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Information update
Old 01-06-2020, 07:24 PM   #83
Jason Banks

Hey Todd I asked these questions in post 71
-----------
I have a question about which Holley pan will be even with or above the engine crossmember? 302-2 or 302-3 ... what would be the main differences in the pans?

I also notice the recommended bolt kit for the engine mounts 71223015HKR says they are 150mm long and the recommended bolts according to the instructions are 140mm long. which is correct?
---------------

I think I have figured out the pans, but what gives with the 10mm difference in bolt length?
Old 01-06-2020, 08:13 PM   #84
toddoky

Quote:
Hey Todd I asked these questions in post 71
-----------
I have a question about which Holley pan will be even with or above the engine crossmember? 302-2 or 302-3 ... what would be the main differences in the pans?

I also notice the recommended bolt kit for the engine mounts 71223015HKR says they are 150mm long and the recommended bolts according to the instructions are 140mm long. which is correct?
---------------

I think I have figured out the pans, but what gives with the 10mm difference in bolt length?
I had to read the product listing on the Holley website to see what you were referring to. The140mm call-out is something that was carried over from previous applications that were listed before the Hooker Blackheart bolt kit existed. Errors and/or inclusions like this happen sometimes from miscommunication between the engineering and marketing departments. You can consider 140mm the minimum length you would need if you were buying the bolts through another supplier.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by toddoky; 01-13-2020 at 04:48 PM. Reason: information update
Old 01-10-2020, 05:19 PM   #85
Spun Bearing

toddoky

I see that it was briefly touched on, but will the mounts and transmission crossmember work on a '64 shortbed? I understand maybe the header and exhaust layout might be different.
If unsure - would it be possible that I purchase the mounts and crossmember and if it doesn't work return for a refund?
Spun Bearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 02:40 PM   #86
toddoky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spun Bearing View Post
toddoky

I see that it was briefly touched on, but will the mounts and transmission crossmember work on a '64 shortbed? I understand maybe the header and exhaust layout might be different.
If unsure - would it be possible that I purchase the mounts and crossmember and if it doesn't work return for a refund?
No, they won’t fit as currently designed. We have a 64 C10 in the engineering lab now that is going through the mock-up and evaluation process and I’ll post the results of that exercise here once it has been completed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-11-2020, 04:02 PM   #87
Spun Bearing

Quote:
No, they won’t fit as currently designed. We have a 64 C10 in the engineering lab now that is going through the mock-up and evaluation process and I’ll post the results of that exercise here once it has been completed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Great - thanks for the response.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:52 PM   #88
toddoky

The two other part numbers for the transmission crossmembers for this application were released today. As I mentioned in my answer to post #82 above, the main crossmember assembly is the same in all three crossmembers, the two new ones added today just come pre-packaged with specific spacer blocks that are used to accomodate the transmissions they are listed for use with.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:00 PM   #89
Jason Banks

Hey Todd,

Just a little product feedback. I got my BHS511 motor mounts and 71222024HKR Crossmember today. Everything fits great. The only thing strange is the bolts provided for the motor mounts have a very small head. I'm not using them anyway but they are definitely not appropriate for the job. I do appreciate the flange nut and bolt, but the flange on the 3/8-16 x 1 bolts is too small.

Old 01-13-2020, 06:23 PM   #90
toddoky

Quote:
Hey Todd,

Just a little product feedback. I got my BHS511 motor mounts and 71222024HKR Crossmember today. Everything fits great. The only thing strange is the bolts provided for the motor mounts have a very small head. I'm not using them anyway but they are definitely not appropriate for the job. I do appreciate the flange nut and bolt, but the flange on the 3/8-16 x 1 bolts is too small.

I appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback. I'm going to have someone look into the specific hardware as I don't believe that is what is called for on the BOM for those brackets. Update: I've confirmed that the type of bolts packaged with the kit you received are not what was intended to be used by Holley engineering and the supplier has been notified that a correction is needed on future production runs.

Last edited by toddoky; 01-14-2020 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:26 PM   #91
Jason Banks

Thought I would update with some pictures of my test fitting. This is a stock 5.3 as pulled from a 2003 suburban with the truck oil pan and stock AC brackets. I thought it was interesting that the pan and ac compressor fit. I'm not using the factory AC brackets but the main part was still on the motor so I thought I would throw the compressor on to look. You would have to cut out part of the frame for the lines to be able to hook up as I have seen others using the low factory bracket have done.

This last photo shows how I had to cut a tab off the Anchor 3064 rubber mounts. I only had to cut it on the drivers side.

Old 01-18-2020, 07:05 PM   #92
Spun Bearing

Jason - can you post a picture of the pan in relation to the crossmember?
I'm interested how low, if at all, it hangs below the crossmember.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:12 PM   #93
Jason Banks

Quote:
Jason - can you post a picture of the pan in relation to the crossmember?
I'm interested how low, if at all, it hangs below the crossmember.

I'm kicking myself because I knew someone would ask this. I didn't take any pictures of it and took the engine out right after I took these pictures. It hung down 2 to 2 1/2 inches below the crossmember. It had plenty of clearance everywhere else on the crossmember.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:10 AM   #94
Spun Bearing

Quote:
I'm kicking myself because I knew someone would ask this. I didn't take any pictures of it and took the engine out right after I took these pictures. It hung down 2 to 2 1/2 inches below the crossmember. It had plenty of clearance everywhere else on the crossmember.
Good to know - need to use a shallow pan.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:21 PM   #95
toddoky

Quote:
Good to know - need to use a shallow pan.
As a point of reference, the bottom of the Holley 302-2 and 302-3 oil pans reside about 1.5” above the bottom of the engine crossmember when they are used with the Hooker Blackheart engine mounting brackets.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2020, 06:46 PM   #96
LS short box

Toddoky,

Can I ask why you kept your oil pan 1.5 inches off the front cross member? The reason I ask this question because when I was running a T56 magnum to keep the engine angle to a minimum I had to trim the upper trailing cross member pass thru hole to clear the drive shaft.
Seems to me the engine could be lower maybe an inch? I am running 6" drop in the back. On my 68 C10 LS I'm running a F-body oil pan. With just using my calibrated eye ball (and a tape measure) the drag link is a bit higher than the top of the cross member.
Not saying your engineers haven't done their home work just asking.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:53 PM   #97
toddoky

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
Toddoky,

Can I ask why you kept your oil pan 1.5 inches off the front cross member? The reason I ask this question because when I was running a T56 magnum to keep the engine angle to a minimum I had to trim the upper trailing cross member pass thru hole to clear the drive shaft.
Seems to me the engine could be lower maybe an inch? I am running 6" drop in the back. On my 68 C10 LS I'm running a F-body oil pan. With just using my calibrated eye ball (and a tape measure) the drag link is a bit higher than the top of the cross member.
Not saying your engineers haven't done their home work just asking.
If you are referring to my previous post, you misinterpreted the reference to the 1.5”. That is the amount by which the bottom of the sump area of the Holley 302-2 and 302-3 oil pans tuck up above the bottom surface of the engine crossmember, it is not the distance between the front ends of the oil pans and the top of the cross member. The Hooker Blackheart engine mounting brackets and transmission crossmember keep both the engine oil pan and a 4L60e or 4L80E trans pan tightly tucked to the underside of the frame rails. The bulbous rear extension housing of a T56 transmission dips slightly below the bottom frame plane. If you are lowering a vehicle by 6” and need to trim a stock part of the vehicle to make possible, I would consider that an acceptable requirement. I've added the attached image so those interested can see the height of the front of the engine relative to the steering center link with the Holley 302-2, or 302-3 oil pan being used.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Last edited by toddoky; 01-24-2020 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Added information
Old 01-21-2020, 05:22 PM   #98
LS short box

Thanks for the reply. I did misunderstand. Thanks for the for pic.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:12 PM   #99
72MARIO

Ahhh I hope my ctsv pan will clear the front crossmember and center link. Should have my parts next week.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:21 AM   #100
Snowman34

Our son and I are working on a '72 C10 Fleetside that we've completely redone virtually all of the front end on, Wilwood disc brake conversion, RideTech StreetGrip install, and new steering set-up incl. a new Borgeson steering box. Next up will be a new exhaust system once we get a few wiring items straightened out.

Our present set up is a 1st gen 350 w/TH350. Has a carb w/headers. Exhaust comes out directly in front of the rear wheels. Gas tank has been relocated to the rear. Previous owners put Cherry Bomb Extreme's on. The drone is excessive and wears on us after 10 minutes or so.

Our eventual goal is a daily driver. An exhaust system is next up for us. Just found the Blackheart system and we're very interested & looks like this could very well be a potential option for us. Since we have a 1st gen SBC w/headers, we are uncertain if this set up would be compatible with what we have. We are interested in the Borla S-Type exhaust as well, due to presumably having "no drone". We'd prefer to have the exhaust come out the back, but be nearly hidden, perhaps just seeing the tips below the rear bumper.

Do these mufflers have any drone?
How do they compare to the Borla S-Type?
Are you able to purchase this system, if it could work with our 1st gen set-up, without the mufflers that come with it?

Two pics included which are from when we originally purchased the truck in October.

Appreciate any input you all might have!
Ryan D.
Orlando, FL
Attached Images

Snowman34 is offline   Reply With Quote