The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2020, 02:15 PM   #51
caseyjones

Re: 1964 C10 Survivor

Nope-I’m saying that the CPP channels were fine, but that there was enough clearance in the fit of everything at the joint that some adjustments were needed. I basically recreated the Brothers kit components except for the template. If I had done the brothers kit I imagine I would have run into the same issue.

If you aren’t taking the truck down to a bare frame and building a fixture, I would recommend welding the frame back together only after putting the bed back on so that the body line alignment can be checked.
caseyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 05:21 PM   #52
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjones View Post
Nope-I’m saying that the CPP channels were fine, but that there was enough clearance in the fit of everything at the joint that some adjustments were needed. I basically recreated the Brothers kit components except for the template. If I had done the brothers kit I imagine I would have run into the same issue.

If you aren’t taking the truck down to a bare frame and building a fixture, I would recommend welding the frame back together only after putting the bed back on so that the body line alignment can be checked.
Good to know. I was thinking because of how tight a fit it was, and the length, that it would hold the frame straight to where it belongs. So yeah, maybe put the bed and cab back on, straighten everything up, and tack it.
Thanks for the heads up.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:37 PM   #53
caseyjones

Things have escalated a bit in the truck...I decided to pull the engine out now to reseal it while I have the trans out too. I cannot believe the amount of dirt and grease caked in the engine and the front of the frame. I’ve spent all day with scrapers and a scrub brush to try to clean it up. The balancer was completely packed full of gunk!
My flywheel is glazed over, so I got a new NAPA clutch and will get the flywheel resurfaced this week. I’ll need to borrow a puller to get the balancer off too. This engine better not leak after all of this or I’m ripping it out and buying a crate motor with a one-piece rear main seal!
Old 11-26-2020, 01:33 AM   #54
caseyjones

The 292 lives another day! I took my time, cleaned everything really well, and apparently used enough RTV to keep the oil inside.

New clutch installed, new rear motor mounts and now it's ready for the transmission. My buddy just finished the bearing retainer and I have speedometer gears on the way. I'll finish going through the seals (I had the side cover off already and the trans looked perfect inside). Picked up my driveshaft last week...should be driving it next weekend if the mail arrives on time!
Old 11-26-2020, 10:36 AM   #55
cwcarpenter98

Sweet! You did a great job on cleaning it up

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:52 PM   #56
LostMy65

When you get a chance, check and see if your flywheel bolts are 1/2" or 7/16".
see: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...el#post4275206

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 12-03-2020, 02:02 AM   #57
caseyjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
When you get a chance, check and see if your flywheel bolts are 1/2" or 7/16".
see: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...el#post4275206
It’s all put back together but I’m pretty sure it’s got 7/16” bolts.

And, I drove it! Got the trans put together with new seals and gaskets and stabbed it in. Pulled the shifter apart to clean and grease it, too. Had to adjust the new clutch a little. No weird noises from the trans, shifting is smooth, it’s great! Still no leaks from the motor or transmission...hallelujah!

I’ll get to do some highway miles with it soon. Just driving around the neighborhood it feels pretty similar to how it drove with the SM420. Feels good to be driving it again.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:22 PM   #58
LostMy65

It's always a great feeling taking our trucks for a spin, but even more so after we've got it back together again.

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 12-05-2020, 09:55 PM   #59
caseyjones

Been driving the truck to work and we took it on a little trip out of town to the tree farm today. It's been running and driving great. I'm still getting used to the new shifter but the OD transforms the truck on the highway. I feel that the shorter wheelbase makes the truck so much easier to live with in the city too. Overall I'm really happy with the changes and now I'm starting to plan the next project(s) on the truck.

Old 01-18-2021, 02:29 AM   #60
caseyjones

Been doing small stuff on the truck lately.
  • I spliced a little bluetooth receiver into the radio using the instructions on the board for adding an aux input. Probably one of my favorite little mods...everything still sounds like it's coming over AM radio but it's "my" music now.
  • I cut holes in my cowl to get access to clean up and reseal the seams that were leaking under the dash. I also resealed the roof skin seam. That stopped the water coming in from above.
  • Rewired and replumbed the windshield washer pump (from a 60's big Mopar...the original probably failed early on)
  • Put a set of 2" blocks in the rear. I'm at a 4.5/6 drop now.
  • I picked up a set of the Civic door seals today and popped them on. Amazing that they fit so well.
  • Milled my bed wood. I'm going to paint it black, just need to find the motivation. I really dislike painting
  • Ordered the patch panels to fix the floors and kick panels.
  • Found a set of 4-nub steelies, and ordered a pair of matching 8" wide wheels for the rear, right after Christmas. Been delayed twice, now expecting to ship in mid March. Gonna run 66 Chevelle dog dish caps.

Otherwise I'm just driving it when it's not pouring rain.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:57 PM   #61
LostMy65

Quote:
Been doing small stuff...

The last few days have been nice driving weather.

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 01-20-2021, 10:43 AM   #62
88Stanger

Quote:
Been doing small stuff on the truck lately.
  • I spliced a little bluetooth receiver into the radio using the instructions on the board for adding an aux input. Probably one of my favorite little mods...everything still sounds like it's coming over AM radio but it's "my" music now.
  • I cut holes in my cowl to get access to clean up and reseal the seams that were leaking under the dash. I also resealed the roof skin seam. That stopped the water coming in from above.
  • Rewired and replumbed the windshield washer pump (from a 60's big Mopar...the original probably failed early on)
  • Put a set of 2" blocks in the rear. I'm at a 4.5/6 drop now.
  • I picked up a set of the Civic door seals today and popped them on. Amazing that they fit so well.
  • Milled my bed wood. I'm going to paint it black, just need to find the motivation. I really dislike painting
  • Ordered the patch panels to fix the floors and kick panels.
  • Found a set of 4-nub steelies, and ordered a pair of matching 8" wide wheels for the rear, right after Christmas. Been delayed twice, now expecting to ship in mid March. Gonna run 66 Chevelle dog dish caps.

Looks great!
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:59 AM   #63
SCOTI

It does look great. Good to see these types of builds being done where you get to be out enjoying them 'as-is' after upgrades that better suit your tastes.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:57 PM   #64
The Rocknrod

Nice truck. I love the engine.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:28 PM   #65
caseyjones

Thanks for the kind words everybody. The attaboys feel good.

Next big project is patching up the floors and fenders. I've been dreading this because I don't want the truck to be down for long and I feel like this is where projects can snowball.

I bought a full complement of outer floors/rockers/a-pillar extensions/kick panels and made sure they arrived in good shape before I started dissecting.

The truck doesn't look bad from a distance but the floorboard holes are going to force me to peel the onion all the way back.

I made it as far as pulling off the outer rocker and drilling spot welds for the kick panel last night. there was more rust than I expected, so I'm at peace with having to dig so deep now.

That pile of rust and dirt came out of the lower a-pillar. That's bare clean metal on the rear pillar where the rocker was up tight against it. The inner rocker is actually really solid, water just sat in the wiring channel and ate it up.

The toeboard from the floor pan seam up to the fusebox is full of pinholes. i really wish there was a patch for that, too. There are some complex shapes in that panel. I'm contemplating just smearing epoxy around on the inside to fill in the holes...seems less than ideal, but it would look better than my metalforming would...

Last edited by caseyjones; 01-25-2021 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:11 PM   #66
jkeating1

Quote:
....I'm contemplating just smearing epoxy around on the inside to fill in the holes...seems less than ideal, but it would look better than my metalforming would...
I'm ok with that. And it's not irreversible.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:15 PM   #67
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeating1 View Post
I'm ok with that. And it's not irreversible.
x2.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:46 PM   #68
SkinnyG

But you know you'd be happier buying some sheet metal tools and doing it proper
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 01:13 AM   #69
caseyjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
But you know you'd be happier buying some sheet metal tools and doing it proper
If I had your shop's square footage I'd be happy to buy those tools

Spent this evening cutting and fitting until I ran into quiet hours. And I need to take a break from it so I don't rush and make a mistake. Still needs some grinding to slide in further and fit flatter against the front cab brace, and I need to cut and bring the front flange out to meet the original toeboard flange.

Old 01-26-2021, 01:18 AM   #70
SkinnyG

Spray everything inside everything with either etching primer or epoxy primer so you're not there again in a couple years. Looks good so far.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 01:17 AM   #71
caseyjones

Got the driver's side mostly done this weekend. Need to finish up the pinch weld under the outer rocker and grind everything smooth. I decided to not let perfection get in the way of done - I have no intention of ever putting real money into paint on this truck, and I find inconsistent door gaps to be charming. I drilled 1/8" holes through the hinges into the a-pillar so I could get the door back to where it was and hung the fender back on it and things seemed to line up like they did before. I was pretty frustrated when I put the new rocker up and saw a big mismatch to the inner rocker, but I found where a few guys have pie-cut the front end cap of the outer rocker to bring up the bottom to match the inner rocker. I did the same and it turned out fine. And i doused everything in self-etch primer

Old junk:

New stuff:

I think i'lll do the inner door bottom next while I have it all apart.

Last edited by caseyjones; 02-01-2021 at 01:32 AM.
Old 02-01-2021, 08:15 PM   #72
LostMy65

Good work..
I'm with you, I want the rot gone, but I'd rather see original paint with character, than a show queen.

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 02-02-2021, 01:29 AM   #73
caseyjones

Thanks! I can appreciate the work that goes into perfect trucks more than ever.

I took a photo of how I had to modify the end of the rocker, in case it might help anyone out there.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2021, 11:32 AM   #74
caseyjones

I started on the door bottom repair. The 64-66 inner door bottom patch does not fit at all. Seems like there are a bunch of examples of the 60-63 door bottoms being replaced on here...anyone know if the part of that panel below the rib would work on a 64-66 door? I just think by the time I get this patch sorted out I'll be money ahead by buying a better fitting panel.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:57 PM   #75
Duncan K

I got sold the wrong door bottoms, got the 60-63 instead of the 64-66. I cut it off below the rib. They didn't fit great like most replacement panels. I made a bunch of relief cuts and added some metal here and there to make it work. Turned out just fine