The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2021, 11:02 AM   #1
jfnar

GMC Canyon 3700, 5 cyl low oil pressure

I recently bought a 2010 Canyon with the 5 cyl engine, 113000 miles. Shortly after I got it the engine light came on. Code P0014, camshaft position. A few miles later the oil light came on when I stopped at an intersection. Haven't driven it much since then but it seems to happen about half the times I stop and the engine idles. I've read that the P0014 code can be caused by low oil pressure. I know that replacing the oil pump is going to be expensive. I've been told $1500 to $2000. I've read on the net that low oil pressure could be caused by sludge restricting the oil pickup tube. Are there any tricks that I can try to clean out some of the sludge to increase oil flow? Maybe Sea Foam or some other additive? Any suggestions will be appreciated. I really don't want to spend $2k on this truck. Thanks.
jfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:39 PM   #2
Redneck Rydes

Re: GMC Canyon 3700, 5 cyl low oil pressure

Years ago,the old guys would dump in a quart of trans fluid before a oil change,don't know if I would do it with a newer engine that would use synthetic oils,but they said it would clean off some of the gunk
Redneck Rydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:12 PM   #3
jfnar

I got good news and terrible news. The good news is that I changed the oil with an engine flush and the oil pressure light hasn't come back on. I changed the exhaust cam solenoid and fixed the P0014 code. But I had a mechanic check it to see if the timing chain needed to be changed due to a slight rattling noise and he called me and said the inside of the engine was dirty and rusty and wasn't worth fixing. He recommends replacing or overhauling the engine, both options are too expensive, $6-8k. I can get a used engine for $2500 and pay about $1300 to have it swapped. My thoughts are to go ahead and replace the timing chains, clean it up as much as possible, and just drive it. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2021, 01:13 AM   #4
1slo64

I'm not really seeing any rust issues in those pictures.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:39 AM   #5
Redneck Rydes

I noticed a bit of rust and wear on the cam lobes, looks like it has some miles on it and lack of maintenance, but have seen a lot worse,maybe add some sort of oil additive and drive it?
Redneck Rydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:08 AM   #6
jfnar

It was definitely neglected at some point before I got it. I'm also thinking I should just fix the timing chains and drive it as is. If it starts smoking or knocking I can start looking for a replacement engine. If I can get a year or two out of it it won't be as painful. Thanks for the replies.