The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
kopfjaegger

Fixing up my 69 K20

So I have another build thread elsewhere in this forum. I had to stop my build on my '70 since my father took a fall and I'm his only care provider. He's been in recovery since and now in a retirement home. Since then I decided that I didn't have time to build very fast so I'm shifting gears on it. However, since I do need a truck, I recently acquired a '69 K20 and decided to work on it since I can leave it running while I work. I will still work on my 70, but I'm going to keep this one going as well.

So, what we have here for 1500 bucks is a running 1969 K20. Everything works and she runs really well. A PO already did the change to front disc brakes and the interior has a Ford seat with the center console. The bed is wood but it was definitely terribly put together and was allowed to rot. The wiring is less than perfect, but I'm taking care of it. She has an as yet unidentified Edelbrock carb with matching air cleaner. So far I've had to replace the battery and the alternator. The alternator went bad and I took the opportunity to swap it out for a 95 amp one with the internal regulator. The swap turned out awesome!

I hope the pics upload well, if not I'll probable have to get a photobucket or something.

Hope you guys enjoy and I'll try to keep up with updates. Of course, any ideas and tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking...

Jorge
kopfjaegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
kopfjaegger

Re: Fixing up my 69 K20

Here are a couple of pics of the truck. These uploads are taking a while, so I'll do them as I can.

jorge
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
msgross

not a bad start... which alternator did you use?
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
kopfjaegger

Hi Mike,

I used a 85 Buick Riviera 5.0L (307Y engine). It's working great. It is enough for my application, anyway.

I have more pictures but I'm having a hard time uploading them. I'll do it as I go.

Jorge
Old 08-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
msgross

I like using photobucket to post pics. I can dump 20 pics and then just copy and paste the IMG links into the message area (10 max per message)
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #6
kopfjaegger

It seems like it's less of a hassle. I'm going to try that today, I think. Maybe that way I can put a bunch of pics.

J
Old 08-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #7
madmopar
This guy has got to be stopped

Nice truck. What are the plans for it?

Photobucket is definitley the way to go. So much easier.

1970 4x4 LWB project: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415134
madmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #8
kopfjaegger

Well, since you ask...

It's a drivable truck, so for now, I'm not going to make the mistake of taking her all apart and redoing the whole thing as a rebuild and being without a truck for months. She's in reasonably half decent shape that I fix/upgrade some stuff and still maintain her driveability. Basically, she'll be a toy. Eventually I want to go on trips out into the desert in it without fear of getting stuck or stranded somehow.

Specifically:

1. Remove/replace suspension bushings/components, they look worn.
2. Replace windshield
3. Replace the wood bed with either wood or metal, haven't decided yet
4. Fix the wiring, currently it looks like it's held together with duct tape or just twisted together.
Service transmission, differentials, x-fer case, etc. I don't really know when it was last done, or if ever.
5. Do some body work, currently there are four spots with cancer. Not to bad, though.
6. Install an underframe fuel cell. It has the original behind the seat one.
7. Install some floor insulation and a rubber floor mat to keep it from rusting in the future.
8. Install a tow hitch.
9. Switch tires to 16's.
10. Apply black primer, the gray that's on there now is old and rubbing off on clothes. I guess one of the guys before me liked that shade of gray.
11. I may install another battery since I would like to have it. Depending on what I hear from folks here on the forum, I may or may not do it.

I hope that it goes without saying that I'm going to clean up the engine bay since it's pretty dirty and greasy. Overall, though, she hasn't let me down yet. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

This is a list of short term goals. There will probably be more added or some taken out as I go along. I will still be working on my 70 so as I get more experience I'll change around.

Thanks for looking at my post.

I'll post pics on photobucket. I just go me an account but only had pics of my bikes here at work.

j