The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2007, 02:25 PM   #51
70rs/ss

Re: Escalade 6.0????

I bought mine from Schram Auto on ebay 5 miles looks like the above 6.0 from a van, 6.0/4l80e trans and all the wiring, exhaust, etc. Looks like I need to call them up and try to get the fuel pump assembly if it has the regulator on it as well. Shipping was a little high but I have a new engine not a used by who knows who with a lead foot.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:23 PM   #52
68 short step

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHART View Post
Also make sure you get the Painless Wiring kit ... i wouldnt recamend trying to be a hero and wiring it all yourself.
its not too bad if your good with scymatics and wiring...
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:15 PM   #53
shifty
Questionable

I would skip painless and go with Speartech's setup

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:10 PM   #54
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss View Post
I bought mine from Schram Auto on ebay 5 miles looks like the above 6.0 from a van, 6.0/4l80e trans and all the wiring, exhaust, etc. Looks like I need to call them up and try to get the fuel pump assembly if it has the regulator on it as well. Shipping was a little high but I have a new engine not a used by who knows who with a lead foot.
Schram's is a BIG junkyard North of Detroit. They specialize in GM stuff. From what I remember when I lived out there is that they have the contract with GM to take units that get damaged in shipping in the area. Meaning they get a lot of low mileage NEW stuff. Back in 2000 or 2001 a train leaving the Pontiac East Truck plant derailed and flipped dozen or more rail cars loaded with trucks from that plant. Schrams got every one of them that they totaled IIRC.

They were a pretty honest place to deal with, just way steep prices.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:33 PM   #55
WorkinLonghorn

The last I heard,in California you can put a larger engine in a 1966 or newer vehicle only if it was listed as an option for that model,that year.
>>>Edit: OOPS I got to the end of page one and thought the thread was ended,so this comment looks a bit nonsequitur.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.

Last edited by WorkinLonghorn; 04-09-2007 at 06:40 PM.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 06:49 PM   #56
Thealien

Anyone putting the whole 4X4 driveline in their trucks?
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 06:29 PM   #57
Dano69c10

In Cali, pre-1976 vehicles are not smog tested (exempt). We renew by mail without any type of inspection.
There is a law that you must put a newer (year-wise) replacement engine in all vehicles. So technically my '69 chevy must have a replacement motor from 1970+ with all emissions equipment from that engine year.
Since the DMV never looks at our vehicles you only have to watch out at CHP "smog" roadblocks, but they just seem to check for closed PCV systems.
Dano

It ain't yours, if you didn't build it!
Dano69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:48 PM   #58
BustedTruck

Absolutely do it you will not regret it. The 5.3 out of the 05 tahoe I purchased had only 1 fuel line going to the rail. The Escalade & Denali both had a 4l65E which is built with beefier parts from the factory. I might suggest getting a performance servo to firm up shifts. Other than that you will be fine. DO IT!
BustedTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:44 PM   #59
lazybra1n

Dont know if you need the servo. All of that can be done through the ECM when reprogramming it, which will have to be done. This is all that I used on mine (LS1/ 4L60E):

I used Painless part #60509-an extra length harness that gives you the option of mounting the ECM inside the cab- also comes w/ a diagnostic port and "check engine light" wired in- which was not provided with the factory harness).

I used the adapter plates from Advanced Adapters, Energy poly mounts and tubular perches from Brothers. I ended up having to pull the motor/ trans back out and move the perches back approx 1" to provide clearance for the oil pan. Your situation will vary depending on what your motor comes out of. The factory trans mount worked fine and had to be moved back a little- dont remember exactly how much though.

All of the PCV/ EGR system and emission controls came off of the LS1 (the Painless harness does not come with provisions for that but they are available if you want to run it that way). I drilled and tapped the appropriate spots for an oil pressure line and a VDO temp sending unit (more on that later). NOTE: I was able to sell everything that came with the motor that I didnt use on Craigslist.org - factory harness, drive shaft (minus yoke), fuel pump, air pump, evap cannister, fuel lines, cat. converters, cross members, dual elec. fans, factory motor mounts, etc... All of this money (about $500) went back into the conversion, of course.

The ECM was mounted behind the seat w/ some custom made brackets and the wiring run into the engine bay through a 1 5/8" hole that has to be cut out of the firewall. Two switches have to be purchased (part #'s are in the Painless installation manual) that do not come w/ the harness; a brake light switch and a gear selector/ neutral safety switch. Those were bought and installed- relatively easily too. The other necessary connections under the dash were made- I think 7 total.

I bought a new stock style (copper/brass) 4-row radiator and an electric fan assembly made for 67-72 trucks from Old Air prod. The factory Camaro fans didn't cover as much area as I would have liked and mounting would have been awkward- I didn't want any cooling problems.

I ordered a new stainless fuel tank w/ the pump inside, from Brothers (I don't reccomend ordering from them. My initial wait time for the tank was 4 weeks... ended up being 9 weeks!). When I finally did receive the tank; the bed came off, a cross-member had to be moved back and the tank was mounted.

I ordered a Corvette style fuel filter/ regulator(single line to the fuel rail), braided stainless line for the fuel rail, EGR block off plate, throttle cable & cable mount from Street and Performance (they also have a lot of useful information on this swap! www.hotrodlane.cc).

I had custom PS lines made for it to run the new pump with the old box. I was able to use some nice braided line and AN fittings so it looks nice and doesnt leak.

Three months after the head gasket blew on the old 283, all of these parts came together and the LS started on 6-8-07- actually rather unexpectedly. I really didn't expect it to start as easy as it did- I was just seeing if it would crank. With 16" of straight pipe on the bottom of open manifolds it was quite a surprise to my neighbors also! But, damn it sounded good!

The only issue I had- I thought- was a cooling problem. It turns out that the VDO sending unit that I used was not compatible w/ the stock temp gauge. It seems that nobody makes a sending unit small enough to use on an LS so I bought a cheapie mechanical gauge until I can figure something else out.

I just got done having the ECM reprogrammed and all of the emission controls disabled. The programmer also made a couple of minor adjustments and pulled about another 30hp out of the motor- now up to about 350. Changed all of the fluids (oil, tranny, PS) and filters, and serp belt. I replaced the sending unit in the tank- Brothers sent me a sending unit for a pre-'67 (0-30 ohm instead of 0-90). It's almost a daily driver again. I've driven it 50 miles round trip to work 3 times w/ no problems and with 3.08 gears in the diff. the mileage is pretty good- it'll also roast one tire pretty good!

Keep in mind that this was for an LS1, but i'm thinkin alot of the parts would be the same. If you need any pic's let me know. I can get 'em.
lazybra1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:51 PM   #60
bld2186

bld2186 is offline   Reply With Quote