The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2015, 03:35 PM   #51
imjeff

Re: Truck Fire!!!

Somehow I didn't get the pictures when I posted. Did you have an air cleaner? You could have hung a float and been puking gas out the overflow. The brake side doesn't look like the source. It points to the carb.
67 Chevelle 396, 4 speed
74 FXE
08 Tahoe
imjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:52 PM   #52
Chevy 350 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjeff View Post
Did you have an air cleaner? You could have hung a float and been puking gas out the overflow. The brake side doesn't look like the source. It points to the carb.
Yes I had an air cleaner it burned. it definitely started on the passenger side. I don't think the gas line came off I had a hose clamp on it. as for floats sticking its possible I suppose. it did have and edelbrock 4 barrel carb on it. Those floats like to stick I've been told.
Chevy 350 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:11 PM   #53
Chevy 350 Fan

Now lets discuss drivetrain. Theirs a few different routes we can go here. 1: I can put a new distributor and carb on it paint it and drop it back it. 2: I could do more work on the motor. I was thinking vortec heads and maybe a cam. 3: a friend of mine has a built 350 vette motor. It was built at a race shop in Texas. It makes 450 HP he said he'll sell it to me for $1500. My only concern is it breaking my drive shaft and maybe rear end. It broke the yoke and then rear end on his Jeep which it is in now. Ill probably need a new tranny. for that kind of power. Ill need to contact AAMCO (they built my trans) and see if they think it'll handle 450HP. 4: My buddy's dad has a SB 400 block that I could build. but ive read 400 arent really that desirable. 5: I have an 80's corvette 350 motor sitting in my back yard. I pulled it out of a wrecked corvette at a junk yard a few months ago with the intensions of turning it into a 383 yea that never happened. That motor did not turn when we pulled it but it had definitely rolled so I hoped it was just hydro locked. I was too lazy to pull out spark plugs though. So that motor I would get rid of its rather interesting TBI system and probably put a Holley DP on it with a performer intake. Maybe a cam and drop it in. But if its actually seized I really don't have time nor the desire to build a motor right now so if that's the case im leaning towards 2. then someday ill turn that corvette motor into a 500 hp 383 and put in the C20. let me know what you guys think. keep in mind im a Jr. in high school so money is hard to come by. Thanks!
Chevy 350 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:04 PM   #54
Advanced Design

I vote option 1 so you can drive the truck rather than having it down for an extended time. While you are driving it you can plan and save for the next steps on the truck.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:17 AM   #55
Dave K.

I don't agree with the response to the firemen but I also don't agree with the attitude of the one poster commenting "their efforts are dependent on attitude". Wow, nice attitude--volunteer doesn't mean you have that right to determine your level of response based on what the owner is saying or how he is acting! Most fire scenes are highly emotional if the owner is present, you probably need some sensitivity training or a change in volunteer professions.

Good that you went over and spoke to the firemen. Most of the firemen nowadays don't know much about older vehicles so I would give them a break. Not all firemen are car guys either so a car is a car is a car to a lot of them.

Note that I put a couple of small swivel ports in the side of the hood of my 72 in the event these was a fire--on either side towards the back. Simple. Carry the fire extinguisher, swivel the port open and spray inside. No need to open the hood and it will suppress the fire such that you can then open the hood I would guess--okay, I'm hoping!

Good luck with the rebuild.
Dave K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:32 AM   #56
sduckworth13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post
I don't agree with the response to the firemen but I also don't agree with the attitude of the one poster commenting "their efforts are dependent on attitude". Wow, nice attitude--volunteer doesn't mean you have that right to determine your level of response based on what the owner is saying or how he is acting! Most fire scenes are highly emotional if the owner is present, you probably need some sensitivity training or a change in volunteer professions.

Good that you went over and spoke to the firemen. Most of the firemen nowadays don't know much about older vehicles so I would give them a break. Not all firemen are car guys either so a car is a car is a car to a lot of them.

Note that I put a couple of small swivel ports in the side of the hood of my 72 in the event these was a fire--on either side towards the back. Simple. Carry the fire extinguisher, swivel the port open and spray inside. No need to open the hood and it will suppress the fire such that you can then open the hood I would guess--okay, I'm hoping!

Good luck with the rebuild.
I haven't been a firefighter for ten years but I can guarantee you that there is not any fire depts that operate the way the poster who is a volunteer described. I wouldn't give that statement a second thought.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:14 AM   #57
snipescastle2

Talking Re: Truck Fire!!!

I am restoring my '71 shortbed fleetside right now, the wiring was fine, but I wanted ti use modern ato blade type fuses. Speedway Motors has a 20 circuit universal harness that I incorporated into my trucks wiring. basically, I used the firewall fuse block mounting block (rear half of the fuse block) attached all the correct wires for the front engine harness and light harness, so I could use the original underhood wiring harnesses and keep it as authentic as I could, but still have the modern fuses and functions of the original wiring, plus, I now have lots of fused connections for accessories, electric fans, power seats, electric fuel pump relay connections, cruise control,etc.... not that I am going to use them all, but nice to have them available. the kit has the correct wiring connectors and blades, same as original, (the name escapes me at the moment) but, using the factory wiring schematics as a guide, it was relatively easy to convert it to a modern fuse setup, and it cost me $164.99 for the harness! so, if you want stock wiring harnesses, give Randy (Teeitup) of Mike Castillo ( Cash3481 ) a call, or anyone of the other forum members on the parts forum a call or message, they can help you out getting the pieces you need to get it back together!
Good luck!
Ben

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedw...ess,42872.html
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:10 AM   #58
slikside

[QUOTE=imjeff;7149238]Incorrect. Look up at your engine bay from the bottom. Wide open, right? Except for where the fire usually is. Now imagine getting under there as flaming fuel is dripping on you, bumper impact absorbers, hood shocks and batteries are exploding. It's unpleasant to say the least. Firefighters dont sniff toxic gases to establish what is burning. Not opening the hood is exactly how to burn a truck to the ground, particularly on a gas fire, which I suspect this was. Just a matter of time before its in the cab.

Understood. But the larger point I was trying to make is.....If you DO NOT HAVE a fire extinguisher, don't open the hood. Seems to me, it can only get worse if you lack the means to extinguish it.

And you're right...I would never go out of my way to sniff the fumes, but I would think that if the vehicle you're driving is on fire...you MIGHT be smelling it at some point weather you wanted to, or not.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:23 AM   #59
sboris

Had a fire in ol green years ago that looked very similar. The wiring harness straight above the distributer shorted and dripped on the distributer igniting it. Thus igniting fuel..
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:28 AM   #60
snipescastle2

Talking Re: Truck Fire!!!

"Packard" type connectors was the name of the connections that are in a stock fuse block.....
Ben
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote