The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2016, 11:45 PM   #1
Montanak5

replacement fuel tank

I've seen a couple of post about replacement fuel tanks for 1972 blazer, I had to buy new replacement tank account my original tank was to far gone no wrecking yards around that had parts blazer.

I bought a new fuel tank from LMC, no instructions. In LMC cataloge it states that modifications taking to old filler neck off and placing it on new tank.

Who has done this w/o taking to radiator shop etc? I know they solder these on, new tank ok old tank taking it off not so fun.

Has anyone found a hose to replace the old neck, someone cut old neck off put rubber from that to the to the new tank.
New tank neck-rubber hose old tank filler-back to old hose.

I'm going to make this work not buying another tank etc. yes the straight neck from the new tank hits frame etc, thats why old tank has the curve.
Attached Images

Montanak5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:09 AM   #2
tjsblazer

Re: replacement fuel tank

Honestly if that is your tank in the picture and you have the correct filler neck I would go through with it have the radiator shop swap it. I don't understand the advantage to not doing that.

I think you have it backwards also. Old tank coming off is just solder so it is easy removal. That straight stub on the new tank that needs to be removed usually has braze on it so it requires more heat and / or grinding.

'72 Blazer K5

"Camshaft opinions are like belly buttons; everyone has one and no two are alike"

My Blazer Build:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=626752

My Engine Build:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=637336
tjsblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:51 AM   #3
jaros44sr

just don't use a torch to remove solder, I used a chisel and snips to get the old filler neck off, then you can use heat

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:07 PM   #4
brwn70gmc

I'm having the same issue with my 72 burby. The LMC replacement tank filler neck is too short and the rubber line kinks if installed. I may end up swapping old neck onto new tank...
brwn70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:14 PM   #5
tmontg01

LMC did sell a factory replacement with the correct filler neck. My brand new one I got was the same filler neck in pic 1, it they sold out after I bought it earlier this year. Idk if they restocked or not
tmontg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:00 PM   #6
pound41

You can get a hose but it has to be a hose with metal in it to keep it from collapsing
I got some years ago for a sqaurebody stepside before they repo that hose. I got a hydraulic hose I think also I think there is a marine grade hose that will work. I have a 71 that the PO put a hose on it has a slight crease in it. Takes for ever to fill the tank. I took my other 71's tank to the radiator shop. Was fairly cheap and a easy swap
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote