The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2017, 02:17 PM   #1
gee-haw

70 lwb stepside

Hey guys, I'm from TN and new to the board. I've always been a Ford man but bought a GMC Duramax last fall. Now my son, who is about to be twelve, is wanting to get started finding him a truck to drive when he turns 16. Due to me buying the aforementioned GMC,he's decided that's what he wants instead of a real truck (Ford). It'll be his so I'm not putting up a fuss about it. I also know that there are tons more aftermarket parts for GM products than Ford. Interchangeable parts between model years factor in also. He wants an old truck, so I happened to run across a 70 GMC long wheel base stepside that is in excellent shape for the most part. 59K original miles, one owner truck. The owner is older now and it hasn't been driven in four or five years and only a handful of times in the last 15 years. Plain Jane, six cylinder, three speed on the column. My question is, what is a fair price for both of us? It will be a project truck to be his daily driver come his sixteenth birthday so we'll have a lot to do to make it dependable, safe, and roadworthy. Thanks in advance for any help and he and I both have thoroughly enjoyed this website so far. Have a great day and be careful!
Posted via Mobile Device
gee-haw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:04 AM   #2
In The Ten Ring

Re: 70 lwb stepside

We'll need pics and more info.

Am I safe to assume 250 engine and no power anything? Painted bumpers, bench seat, and wood bed floor?

We want pics or at least a good description of cab corners, cab floor, door bottoms, rocker panels....front end areas such as cups of outer fenders and where inner fenders attach to the radiator core support. In short "all the common rust areas."

The lwb hurts value a bit so that's a plus for you. (Personally I hope you keep the lwb and 3 speed on column, those are pretty rare these days and will really set the thing off by the time he starts driving it).
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:39 PM   #3
gee-haw

Ten Ring, thanks for replying. The deal fell thru though. The first time that I stopped to inquire about it, the older gentlemen was not available but his daughter assured me that he would sell it. No doubt about it, it is just sitting there in the shed taking up space she said. Well I went back by there yesterday and talked to the owner himself, and he informed me that it WAS NOT for sale and it was just sitting there in the shed not bothering a thing! I talked to him a while as we both are railroaders and he told me to stop by from time to time in case he changes his mind. So there may be hope yet. Also stopped to inquire about a 69 lwb stepside, but it wasn't for sale either. Anyway, thanks again and have a great day!
gee-haw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:38 PM   #4
In The Ten Ring

No problemo mi mano.

I am a hard core stepside man, I think fleetsides are boring and everywhere. The stepside allows you to put a spare tire on the side, easy to reach when needed.

A lot of guys can't let go, I have seen this many times myself. Keep after him, see him from time to time, always be polite. Become friends with him and he may see you are "OK to take her."

Myself, I like stock, even 3OTT, and it may help if you are too. I'd hate to see my truck chopped up into something no longer recognizable....

Good luck.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote