The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
Big Pete

My introduction and '53 3100 project

Hi everyone, I'm Pete from CT. I live in central CT and have been looking for a 48-54 truck for quite some time. I'm very much into motorcycles and have owned and built many, ranging from turbo Hayabusas, to a 100th anniversary Indian Chief to Harley Shovelheads, and everything in between.

My search hasnt been an easy one. I've gone to look at multiple trucks in the past months trying to buy before the snow started to fly. I am somewhat picky on what I was looking for, which was tough considering what I wanted to pay. Some of the trucks I've looked at were nice, some not so nice. I have a good friend with a car trailer and big ol' diesel truck who offered to help with transport if I found the right deal. I recently delivered my Indian (after I sold it) to Ohio, so I started checking craigslist and Ebay there. I didnt find anything I loved, so I kept searching around, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Mass, RI, New Jersey, PA, all of which produced nothing that I was looking for in my price range.

I Finally found something that peaked my interest in the Richmond, VA craigslist and called the gentleman selling it. This was on a Thursday, and I had to leave a message because he didnt pick up. The ad was posted days before, so I figured it sold. I got a call back the following Sunday and he said he still had it - I asked a few questions, and with my previous search resulting in nothing, I offered to buy it without seeing more pictures and said I'd send a money order overnight, the next day. I sent the money order, talked to the guy when he received it, and was set to pick it up that Saturday. The first 4 pics are from the original Craigslist ad, the next 3 are what I was emailed after I sent the money order, and the next are from when I actually owned it (the trip home, and how it looked today with some snow on it).

This all happened over the last 2 weeks. The trip was just over 1,000 miles, took 19 hours and a few hundred dollars in fuel and tolls, AND I had to fly to the west coast for business all week monday morning after doing this whole thing that Saturday - but it has all been worth it... I LOVE the truck...

I'll update this with progress as I slowly go through the truck - right now it has a 350/350 combo (not the best work) with no wiring. I'll go through everything, and get it all in good mechanical order for spring. Next winter I'll probably do the cosmetics - thats the plan for now at least...

From what I was told, the truck is an original CA truck for the first 50+ years of its life, then was relocated to VA and garaged where the owner had the 350/350 swapped in to "Hot Rod" it, but it was never finished. The chrome bumpers, grill, trim is all new, the bed wood is in VERY good shape and the undercarriage is in very good shape.

I'm really torn on what route to take, like I mentioned, with it being a CA truck, it is in VERY good condition underneith, BUT, I have a 2000 S-10 Xtreme donor truck I already own, so I'm not sure what to do.. I like the idea of the newer, upgraded xtreme chassis, but the og one is so nice... we'll see how the next few weeks go....

Craigslist ad pictures...

Additional pics I got through email... I have my work cut out

When we got there...

Loaded up, ready to go...

And how she looks today.. I'll have room in the garage Tuesday night to get her out of the elements..

Big Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #2
itstheshu
Account Suspended

Re: My introduction and '53 3100 project

Looks like a good start.
itstheshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:51 PM   #3
oldman3

Doesn't look bad now, let us know when you start looking it over good....Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Larry Lindley

Wow looks good I can see what your talking about,which way to go.
Larry Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
OrrieG

Good starting point.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:18 AM   #6
Maximus

Beautiful truck! If I started out with that much truck I wouldnt know what to do with myself! then again, my truck started out a $400 parts truck, lol...

Obviously, its your truck, but if your looking for suggestions, I would say DONT swap it to a S10.

All your truck needs is a Subframe swap or Mustang II suspension install... But your truck is so complete it seems like it would be a waste not to use the original frame. As a bonus, you won't have to hastle with VIN issues having a later model frame...

again, just my 2 cents. regardless of what you do, AWESOME truck!
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote