The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2018, 09:27 PM   #1
ronm69c10

cfm quadrajet?

i need to buy a new quadrajet to replace one that is cracked and old.I found an 800cfm quad at a good price.My question I have a stock 454 out of a p3o with headers.I have no ideal what was done during rebuild 5000 miles ago but motor seem's to be stock.numbers on bad carb. are 17080212. Is a 800cfm. a good choice. Also turbo350 trans,373 rear in truck. RON
ronm69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:38 PM   #2
harpo231

Re: cfm quadrajet?

650 for stock
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:57 PM   #3
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Big inch Pontiacs have been fitted with 800 CFM Q-Jets. Your 454 counts as big inch. If it were up to me, I'd be calling Cliff Ruggles for information. The removal of some of the venturi material to accomplish that kind of air flow makes these carbs a little touchy to make idle right.

https://cliffshighperformance.com/

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:59 PM   #4
mike16

and buicks from the early 70's
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:18 PM   #5
Coley

Smile Re: cfm quadrajet?

New internal kit will get you there
....new jets, rods, spring, float etc.
This upgrade will give you greater flow for the bigger cubes.

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:19 PM   #6
Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Big inch Pontiacs have been fitted with 800 CFM Q-Jets. Your 454 counts as big inch. If it were up to me, I'd be calling Cliff Ruggles for information. The removal of some of the venturi material to accomplish that kind of air flow makes these carbs a little touchy to make idle right.

https://cliffshighperformance.com/
Cliff is “the” guy for quadrajets, he literally wrote the book on high performance modifications. but he can get pretty far behind if you want him to build a custom one. Last year about this time he told me he had a 6 month wait, everyone sends him stuff as spring gets near. I didn’t have that kind of time so I tried quadrajetpower out of Texas, after a couple of long conversations with them. they built a 800 cfm that’s on a 467 Pontiac in my wife’s 69’ firebird. I wouldn’t hesitate to go with them again, they did a nice job.
Problems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:22 PM   #7
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo231 View Post
650 for stock
All Quadrajets were rated a minimum of 750 CFM; there are no 650 CFM Quadrajets.

The Quadrajet will work on almost any size motor because of the way it is designed. GM used them on engines from 283 cubic inches to high-performance 455s and Cadillac 500 cubic inch engines. As long as it's in good shape, that carb should work fine on your 454.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:22 AM   #8
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Problems View Post
Cliff is “the” guy for quadrajets, he literally wrote the book on high performance modifications. but he can get pretty far behind if you want him to build a custom one. Last year about this time he told me he had a 6 month wait, everyone sends him stuff as spring gets near. I didn’t have that kind of time so I tried quadrajetpower out of Texas, after a couple of long conversations with them. they built a 800 cfm that’s on a 467 Pontiac in my wife’s 69’ firebird. I wouldn’t hesitate to go with them again, they did a nice job.
Multiple responses here-

Yes, Mark is another good source for Q-Jets.

I'm going to have to say that I've never seen a 283 with a Q-Jet, though. I HAVE seen them with 4GC Rochesters.

Whether you go with Mark or Cliff, make sure to give them the number off the side of the carburetor as well as the intended application, which includes cam, trans, etc., if you buy a kit. You might try Ken at Everyday Performance as well; depending on where you live, he might be closer. I rebuild my own, though. There are many parts in a carburetor that aren't in a regular kit, like the cam that pulls the secondary metering rods out of the jets when the secondary air valve opens. Cliff's kits supplies them, but I haven't bought kits from Mark or Ken, so I can't say one way or the other, with them.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 03-21-2018, 09:45 PM   #9
mike16

Cliff did not write "the book". Doug Roe wrote "the book" back in '81. and it has gone through several editions. Doug Roe's book, "used", sells for more than Ruggles does new. Roe's book covers an enourmous amount on the Q-Jets including alot more on mods than Ruggle's does and he research it himself. If your going to build a Q-Jet Roe's book is still hands down the best origonal source. I bought a new copy of Ruggles book for less than 8 dollars while Roe's book, 35 years later sells for about 20 dollars. It is truly the diffinitive source.

Last edited by old Rusty C10; 03-23-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:43 PM   #10
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
All Quadrajets were rated a minimum of 750 CFM; there are no 650 CFM Quadrajets.

The Quadrajet will work on almost any size motor because of the way it is designed. GM used them on engines from 283 cubic inches to high-performance 455s and Cadillac 500 cubic inch engines. As long as it's in good shape, that carb should work fine on your 454.
X2

The stock carb on a '83 Z28 with a boat anchor 305 is 800 cfm. In the late 70's most quadrajets being made were 800cfm carbs, but the metering for smog and emissions control made them less desirable carbs.

Like truckster said, don't get too hung up max cfm. A stock peanut port 454 isn't going to need the full 750 or 800. The earlier non emissions 750's are fine for most engines 95% of the time. The straight inlet early 70's Buick 755 carbs are great if you happen to find on, but they need the throttle bracket changed up if you running an auto trans.

For s stock or mild 454 you'd be better off looking for a early 70's 402 or a early to mid 70's 454 carb if you just want to put a kit in it and run it. They will be metered pretty close to what you want as they are.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:49 PM   #11
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike16 View Post
Cliff did not write "the book". Doug Roe wrote "the book" back in '81. and it has gone through several editions. Doug Roe's book, "used", sells for more than Wiggles does new. Roe's book covers an enourmous amount on the Q-Jets including alot more on mods than wiggle's does and he research it himself. If your going to build a Q-Jet Roe's book is still hands down the best origonal source. I bought a new copy of wiggles book for less than 8 dollars while Roe's book, 35 years later sells for about 20 dollars. It is truly the diffinitive source.
The price of a book means little for the value received. I've bought many new books for less than used books, on Amazon. Can you point me to a failure on the part of either author on making a recommendation of carburetor work? Have you made a "better mileage or best of drags ever with a Q-Jet" comparison? Please let me know.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 03-22-2018, 12:17 PM   #12
suville

I've used SMI Sean Murphy Induction and was very happy with the carb. He worked for the "Carb Shop" before opening his own
suville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:03 PM   #13
Alex V.

The Quadrajet was only made in 2 CFM's: 750 and 800. The vacuum secondaries make it, in a way, a variable CFM carb. because when adjusted properly the secondaries only open as far as engine vacuum will pull them open. Many factory small blocks came with Q-jets - 650 is a good minimum for a stock big block but when speaking of a Q-jet it won't be "too much".

1985 GMC C3500 SRW, Sierra Classic, 454/TH400, white/blue.
Alex V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:23 PM   #14
mike16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
The price of a book means little for the value received. I've bought many new books for less than used books, on Amazon. Can you point me to a failure on the part of either author on making a recommendation of carburetor work? Have you made a "better mileage or best of drags ever with a Q-Jet" comparison? Please let me know.
I have not made a better mileage or best of drags ever with a q jet comparison. why reinvent the wheel. It does not increase credability do do what others have already done, unless your audience does not know that. Thats why Roes book remains the best source on the Q Jet.

But I do make choices based on moral and ethical grounds. Does that Count? I have a Dyno App so I could have lied and say yes I did. It does not take more than a few questions to find out if someone is fibbing.

Hands down Roe's book is the better value. think about it.... a 35 year old used book on the subject going for more than a new one. The old one covers alot more.

And ultimatley.... I'm giving credit where credit is due. It avoids the issue of plagerism if you can reference your sources. But standards vary. No Chewing Gum or pencils. But now that the word is out on Roe's book. I'll buy a few and watch their prices rise.

all kidding aside it was stated that Cliff's book was "the book". It is not. Roe's was, is, and always will be. I like to set the two side by side and let others make an informed choice.

Last edited by old Rusty C10; 03-23-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:28 PM   #15
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike16 View Post
I have not made a better mileage or best of drags ever with a q jet comparison. why reinvent the wheel. It does not increase credability do do what others have already done, unless your audience does not know that. Thats why Roes book remains the best source on the Q Jet.

But I do make choices based on moral and ethical grounds. Does that Count? I have a Dyno App so I could have lied and say yes I did. It does not take more than a few questions to find out if someone is fibbing.

Hands down Roe's book is the better value. think about it.... a 35 year old used book on the subject going for more than a new one. The old one covers alot more.

And ultimatley.... I'm giving credit where credit is due. It avoids the issue of plagerism if you can reference your sources. But standards vary. No Chewing Gum or pencils. But now that the word is out on Roe's book. I'll buy a few and watch their prices rise.

all kidding aside it was stated that Cliffy's book was "the book". It is not. Roe's was, is, and always will be. I like to set the two side by side and let others make an informed choice.
I'm just wondering why you feel the need to belittle the guy by calling "Wiggles" and "Cliffy". Cliff Ruggles is very knowledgeable and also a really nice guy. He's answered phone calls for many of us on this board and given his advice free of charge. I don't think belittling someone like that is what this board is about.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:50 AM   #16
brown7373

I have both books and use them both. As truckster mentioned, you can call and talk with Cliff. You can discuss anything and everything about your carb issues or questions. And, he can supply complete quality parts and rebuild kits, which run circles around generic parts store kits. Do they cost more? Yep, but I have found they are WELL WORTH IT!
brown7373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:06 PM   #17
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown7373 View Post
I have both books and use them both. As truckster mentioned, you can call and talk with Cliff. You can discuss anything and everything about your carb issues or questions. And, he can supply complete quality parts and rebuild kits, which run circles around generic parts store kits. Do they cost more? Yep, but I have found they are WELL WORTH IT!
I have both books as well. There are some things in both books that are not in the other, so they both have value, IMO.

I can't say which guy is the best, but I can say if you go to any BOP event that has drag racing it's amazing to see how fast some of the cars are with Cliff's Q-jets.

My trucks

Old 03-23-2018, 03:10 PM   #18
leddzepp

Who are Ruggles and Roe?

Bob Stone is the man when is comes to Q-Jets

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:40 PM   #19
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Who are Ruggles and Roe?

Bob Stone is the man when is comes to Q-Jets
Toe-may-to, toe-mah-to and tomate in a Mexican standoff!

Simi Valley, CA
Old 03-23-2018, 03:44 PM   #20
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:

Well technically that isn't true. Due to internal GM rules and issues there were Quadrajets that left the factory as 650 cfm units. Most notably the 400 ci first gen Firebirds. The exact engine in a GTO made 350 HP but in the Firebird it made 335 HP. The carburetor was the same on both engines with the exception that the secondary throttle shaft was limited to prevent full throttle. So yes both throttle bodies were capable of 750 cfm but unless you modified the secondarys you wouldn't be getting 750 CFM. There are more strange exceptions but none of the are very common. Like a Q-jets on 230 ci engines. To run them on these small cubic inch engines there are physical internal differences from the large cubic inch engine carbs that relate to idle quality and low rpm throttle response. It is easier to find a carb that started life on a similar sized engine unless you are aware of the challenges you are facing. In your case the 800 cfm units came on 454's from the factory. In fact I believe it is the most common application of the 800.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

Last edited by HO455; 03-23-2018 at 03:45 PM. Reason: -2 grammar
HO455 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:45 PM   #21
67 chevelle

Thumbs up Re: cfm quadrajet?

Quote:

True
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:55 PM   #22
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

lets not get into name calling here this thread is a good source of info and in some instances user opinion of which we all have one, and one is not to be bashed for theirs

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:03 PM   #23
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Well technically that isn't true. Due to internal GM rules and issues there were Quadrajets that left the factory as 650 cfm units. Most notably the 400 ci first gen Firebirds. The exact engine in a GTO made 350 HP but in the Firebird it made 335 HP. The carburetor was the same on both engines with the exception that the secondary throttle shaft was limited to prevent full throttle. So yes both throttle bodies were capable of 750 cfm but unless you modified the secondarys you wouldn't be getting 750 CFM. There are more strange exceptions but none of the are very common. Like a Q-jets on 230 ci engines. To run them on these small cubic inch engines there are physical internal differences from the large cubic inch engine carbs that relate to idle quality and low rpm throttle response. It is easier to find a carb that started life on a similar sized engine unless you are aware of the challenges you are facing. In your case the 800 cfm units came on 454's from the factory. In fact I believe it is the most common application of the 800.
Many 455 Firebirds had the 800 CFM carb as well.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 03-23-2018, 06:51 PM   #24
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Again, the majority of Q-jets, on most everything made after 1976 was M4M casting 800 cfm carbs. Most carbs on everything after 1976 had the same 1 7/32" primaries as the Super Duty 455 carbs from '73-74. 800 cfm Q-jets are not rare or uncommon by any stretch. The HP versions are, not an 800 cfm capable CFM carb.

My trucks

Old 03-23-2018, 07:33 PM   #25
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_C-30 View Post
Again, the majority of Q-jets, on most everything made after 1976 was M4M casting 800 cfm carbs. Most carbs on everything after 1976 had the same 1 7/32" primaries as the Super Duty 455 carbs from '73-74. 800 cfm Q-jets are not rare or uncommon by any stretch. The HP versions are, not an 800 cfm capable CFM carb.
Just to clarify, you mean 1 7/32 primary Venturi and not primary throttle size.
Is that correct.

FWIW I thought the last 800 came from the 80 T/A with the 301 turbo. 750 cfm after that.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote