The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2018, 09:26 PM   #1
Cbo68

Engine mount concern

New member here even though I’ve google enough questions about my project that always leads me here so I decided to join up. I’m nearing the end of my full restore project and starting to have some questions/concerns

Has anyone seen this style of engine mounts attached to the crossmember. My truck is a 1968 4x4 3/4 ton. When I bought it the owner told me it originally had an I6 installed and I could drop a v8 directly on the the current mounts. I did this and first ran into some clearance issues with my big cap hei distributor so I changed it to a msd ready to run hei with an external coil. It fit but the plug wires do ride the firewall a bit. Now I’m noticing I can’t even drop the oil pan or even remove it because it hits the cross member before I can slide it out. Is there anything I should be concerned about with this current setup? I’ve attached some pics.

Thank you for your help and hopefully I’ve submitted this in the correct location
Attached Images

Cbo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:00 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Engine mount concern

That's how they fit. The stock mounts through 72 are different from the clamshell type mounts used from 73 up.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:03 PM   #3
mike16

Looks good to me. I had to lift my 307 (72c10) about 8 inches at the front of the motor and at the bell housing to drop the pan.

My current truck is also a 68K20 so your in good company.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:17 PM   #4
Cbo68

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
That's how they fit. The stock mounts through 72 are different from the clamshell type mounts used from 73 up.
Ok just wanted to make sure this wasn’t some rigged up job from the guy I bought it from. Everything I’ve looked at has had mounts that attached to the holes in the top side of the frame and you could move them fwd or aft depending on the v8 or I6 config. I’m ok with the clearance on the firewall because I don’t want to get into driveshaft lengths and all that. This has been a heck of a project and wanted to make sure this is good to go. Thanks !
Old 03-22-2018, 10:20 PM   #5
Cbo68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike16 View Post
Looks good to me. I had to lift my 307 (72c10) about 8 inches at the front of the motor and at the bell housing to drop the pan.

My current truck is also a 68K20 so your in good company.
Awesome man I appreciate the reply. I’ll move on to worrying about something else with this thing haha. Here’s the truck. First full restore and paint job.
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2018, 10:23 PM   #6
randy500
Account Suspended

Put the correct crossmember in it...get one off the parts board that one is the worst I have ever seen. Why would someone cut off the upper frame mount portion?
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:34 PM   #7
Cbo68

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
Put the correct crossmember in it...get one off the parts board that one is the worst I have ever seen. Why would someone cut off the upper frame mount portion?
Not real sure. When I picked up the truck it was just a chassis and the cab and bed were off. I didn’t pay much attention to the mounts and cross member until I ran into the clearance issue with the distributor. Started doing some research and realized my mounts didn’t match up with what I was seeing on other 68s and here I am.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:37 PM   #8
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
My apologies. The motor mount is correct, but after reading Randy's post I took a closer look. What he's referring to is the area circled in red in this picture. It looks like it's been cut off. It should extend to the upper frame and have bolts through the holes circled in yellow.
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2018, 11:53 PM   #9
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Here’s a reference picture from my 72 K20. Your cross member should looks similar to thisskrry my iPhone posted it sideways
Attached Images

‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:03 AM   #10
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

As far as the removal of the oil pan... ALL 67-72 trucks have to have the engine hoisted up a bit to get the oil pan out with the engine in the rig.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:23 AM   #11
Cbo68

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
My apologies. The motor mount is correct, but after reading Randy's post I took a closer look. What he's referring to is the area circled in red in this picture. It looks like it's been cut off. It should extend to the upper frame and have bolts through the holes circled in yellow.
Makes sense. I went and looked at a few trucks and they all had mounts that bolted to the top side of the frame where mine didn’t. I didn’t even think about someone cutting them off. I thought maybe it was the I6 config. Looks like I’ll be getting new mounts.
Thanks again
Old 03-23-2018, 12:25 AM   #12
Cbo68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
Here’s a reference picture from my 72 K20. Your cross member should looks similar to thisskrry my iPhone posted it sideways
Thanks it’s hard to find pictures that show this. I ended up just going to car shows and looking at what other peoples looked like and they all looked different than mine. Should have joined this forum a while back lol.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:28 AM   #13
Cbo68

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
As far as the removal of the oil pan... ALL 67-72 trucks have to have the engine hoisted up a bit to get the oil pan out with the engine in the rig.

Gary
Good to know. Thanks !