The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2024, 09:26 AM   #1
gerretw

loose bolt on power steering pump

I have a 68 c20 and while replacing my power steering box I noticed a loose bolt on the bottom of the power steering pump. When I tightened it, I found it was stripped. I was wondering if I should replace the PS pump, or put a small spot of jb weld to keep the bolt from touching the pully wheel?

Why am I replacing the box? I bumped a curb trying to pull into a tight gas pump line to gas up my truck, and afterward the steering was suddenly sloppy. N/t to do with the ps pump.

G

Name:  bolt.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  31.7 KB
gerretw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 11:14 AM   #2
PbFut

Re: loose bolt on power steering pump

How long has bolt been that way? What do you use the truck for? If you do not rely on it for income than the stipped bolt hole is probably fine and can be repaired when needed. There is likely enough meat around the bolt hole to simply go up one size by drilling and tapping. Way cheaper than new pump. As for the box. You sure you didn't damage linkage joint, rag joint, or other weaker part? A steering box seems odd.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 11:27 AM   #3
gerretw

When I jacked up the front end, there was no play in the linkage, so that leaves the box. At low speed it's fine but the faster I go the worse the play, the more it wanders. True, I didn't check the alignment to see if that got knocked out. Perhaps I should reinstall the box and take it to an alignment shop.

What do I use the truck for - hauling stuff - a while ago I filled the bed with mulch. I am retired from construction, but want to build a green house and I can use it to haul construction materials.

I have no idea how long the bolt has been that way. It was unscrewed and rubs against the pully, which to me, isn't ideal.

G
Old 05-20-2024, 11:41 AM   #4
mr48chev

The preferred fix would be to put a heli coil in it but that might be a real challenge with a blind hole that isn't very deep.

I would not suggest drilling and tapping to an oversize to use a larger bolt simply because you would also have to drill the bracket for an oversize bolt and if you ever needed to replace the pump you would have to hunt down another bracket.

Rock Auto shows a new Larea 12009 pump without reservoir for 118.79 You would also have to buy a seal kit so you could swap the canister over.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 12:15 PM   #5
gerretw

I checked the steering box - it has slop in it. When I twist the input a little (about 3/8 or 1/2" of rotation) I get no response from the output. I have had bad luck using reman steering boxes in the past, so I want to get a new one. What's a good brand that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

As to the PS pump - as long as I am in there getting dirty, I might as well replace it.

Thanks

G
Old 05-20-2024, 02:12 PM   #6
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerretw View Post
I checked the steering box - it has slop in it. When I twist the input a little (about 3/8 or 1/2" of rotation) I get no response from the output. I have had bad luck using reman steering boxes in the past, so I want to get a new one. What's a good brand that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

As to the PS pump - as long as I am in there getting dirty, I might as well replace it.

Thanks

G

I replaced my pump recently thinking it had shaft play and was making a racket. The pump that went in was from SummitRacing and was inexpensive however, once installed, my steering feel is quite a bit stiffer than before. I thought it would lighten up but alas, no. Just FYI.

-Kevin
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM   #7
70STOVEBOLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerretw View Post
I have a 68 c20 and while replacing my power steering box I noticed a loose bolt on the bottom of the power steering pump. When I tightened it, I found it was stripped. I was wondering if I should replace the PS pump, or put a small spot of jb weld to keep the bolt from touching the pully wheel?

Why am I replacing the box? I bumped a curb trying to pull into a tight gas pump line to gas up my truck, and afterward the steering was suddenly sloppy. N/t to do with the ps pump.

G

Attachment 2362591
You might want to check your ball joints. Worn/bad ones can cause wandering. also, and you may have damaged one when you bumped the curb.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks
Sniper EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23 lowered 2" front & rear