The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2020, 07:24 AM   #1
basstracker98k

Accelerator Pedal

Does anyone know of anyone who makes a steel or aluminum gas pedal that works with the original linkage? Maybe on a hinge that just bolts to the floor board. Or anyone with a machine shop interested in making one?
basstracker98k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:34 AM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Accelerator Pedal

Many people use the 72 pedal and a cable. I havnt seen a re-pop of the original yet. FYI there is a place called Aspen in Arizona I'd call and see if they have one. https://www.aspenautoaz.com/60-66-ch...uck-parts.html
72 use - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...00#post1383300
I "think" the 67-68 standard gas pedal linkage is similar to ours in that it uses a rod. The attachement to the firewall is probably different. - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604264
And here is a real good thread on our series stock units - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=601904

Last edited by The Rocknrod; 06-04-2020 at 08:42 AM.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:24 AM   #3
cwcarpenter98

I have not heard of anyone making one out of steel or aluminum. Page 40 of Truckandcarshop's catalog has both 60-63 and 64-66 counterpart replacement pedals.

On my 63, I used a squarebody pedal. I had to bend it a bunch to make it work, and I'm still not too happy with the placement of it. The 71-72 pedal is a much better option, so at some point, I will switch over to that one. It is because of the way the squarebody pedal kicks back towards the trans up rather than going straight down like on the 71-72s

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:24 PM   #4
forestb

I bought one a while back for my 62 that was mettle wrapped in plastic. It did not have a hing though. I can't remember how it pivoted.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:33 PM   #5
ACK

I was toying around with the idea of making an aluminum gas pedal last month. Yes, would need a pivot point where it joins, probably 8-32 shoulder bolts, plus set screws to secure it to the pins on the floor. If I get around to making one, I'll follow up if there isn't a reply to your post from anybody that's created one.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:59 PM   #6
AcampoDave

Did you know the pedal from the big ol' 70's Caddys fits our trucks without any modifications? The earlier ones are the most attractive because they have a rubber skirt on the bottom that keeps dirt from getting under them. Later ones look the same but lack the skirt. They have a nice stainless insert on them which trims out a ribbed rubber foot pad. https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...MygGegUIARC_Ag this one is what I'm referring to, but it's the kind without the skirt at the bottom. If your truck has ball studs they fit right over them with a shot of Windex in the holes to kinda lube 'em up a bit. It you have a 60'63 you'll need the ball studs. Try to get the hardware from the Caddy as I think it will fit, otherwise LMC or whatever has probably got you covered for those.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 06-04-2020 at 08:15 PM.
AcampoDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:04 PM   #7
basstracker98k

Thanks for the ideas I just don't like the cheap plastic pedals that they sell. They just seem well cheap. I would like to use the original linkage just because it works and why change it all, right? I mean I can its no problem but all I really need is a good pedal. I figure a flat piece of aluminum or stainless with a hinged piece at the bottom that I can just bolt through the floor with some tapered head allen bolts. Can you picture it? Seems like a guy with some simple machine shop equipment would be able to make it pretty easily. I could probably make something myself but it would be a bit crude without the machining tools
Old 06-04-2020, 08:20 PM   #8
AcampoDave

Here's one with the skirt. https://www.ebay.com/itm/65-66-67-68...wAAOSwilVbrFb9 i wouldn't pay what they are asking because now and then they still show up in the junkyard. That's where I got mine.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:36 PM   #9
basstracker98k

Thanks for the info Dave, that isnt bad at all. You say you used that setup? Do you use the ball studs then?
Old 06-04-2020, 11:54 PM   #10
AcampoDave

I've used that set up with and without factory ball studs. In the Caddy they mount on a metal bar with the ball studs attached. I simply removed the whole bar, studs and all (it just bolts to the floor) and put the whole deal in a '61 truck. My '66 has the ball studs already so I just popped it on. Presently however, I went back to stock for a more factory look. Edit: I think it worked best when I used the whole mounting bar from the Caddy so get it if you can. The reason I say that is because the Caddy pedal has a smooth plastic patch on the backside which rides on the linkage rod. When popping the pedal directly on the c10 ball studs the plastic patch is not quite centered on the linkage rod. It still works, but it sits a tad low. Using the bar from the Caddy elevates the pedal and centers the plastic patch over the linkage rod just as it is in the Caddy.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 06-05-2020 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:16 AM   #11
oldtrux

scotts hot rods makes a bolt in one,but ouch$$$
oldtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:42 PM   #12
64shortbox

I also know a 72 Toronado gas pedal is the same as the Caddy if that helps.
64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote