The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
trlrider77
Out of money

Need a little help!

I need some help. I have finally got my 69 back together and tried to start it with no luck. I'll first explain what I did then tell you what is happening. I pulled the motor and did a complete rebuild. The only thing that is different is I went with a HEI setup instead of points. The power wire is spliced in to a wire that is hot when the key is on. I got a new big block starter and switched the head from my small block starter. Well we tried to start it and the starter just spun. Took it off looked at it and tried it again. It didn't spin this time but it did start turning over real slow. The ground on the battery also started smoking and getting hot. I tuned the key off and pulled it out but the motor was still turning over real slow. I don't know what to do. I have all this money and time put into this thing and now its just sitting there. Could it be the ignition switch that has gone bad or what. I really appreciated any help. Thanks!
trlrider77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:28 PM   #2
Bruce88

Re: Need a little help!

You didn’t say what engine you where running so I’m guessing that it’s a SB Chevy.

First I would call up a parts store and find out if they have the capability to test your starter motor and solenoid then take your starter down there and see if it has an internal short. You could have welded your solenoid circuit in the closed position

Second is to check your wiring, there are 3 terminals on your starter solenoid. The larger terminal for the battery cable, one of the small ones is for the starting circuit, and the other small terminal is for back feeding the coil power circuit during starting. (Having the two small terminals hooked up backwards could cause your continuing to trying to start aft the key is turned off and removed.

Not that this is a direct cause to your problem but you said that you switched to a HEI distributor and spliced into a 12 volt power source when the key is in the on position. First not all circuits that are powered with the key in the on position are powered when the key is in the start position. Recommend that you cut out the resister wire out or remove the inline resister in the old coil wire circuit (depending on how it's configured) and splice into this wire to supply power to your HEI distributor.

Hope this helps