The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2015, 01:57 PM   #1
Crash_OK

Crash's 1997 Lexus LX450 build

Hello,

Time for the next victim.. I just purchased a 97 Lexus LX 450, before you start with the pink panty jokes just know I was looking for a Landcrusier, and ended up with this. The LX450 has 165000 miles and a bad engine. I had a chance to drive the LX450 about 12 miles before I started my tear down. Very loud knocking noise in the engine, it actually sounded like it was up high on the engine, but not sure. Everything else worked perfect.

As you can see below… I am planning on installing a LS based engine… This ties into my evil plan to LS power as many vehicles as I can before I die… lol

I currently have a few other Toyota’s… 2006 4 door, 4wd Tundra, stock except for a leveling kit (Struts), I bought it new.. it has 175000 miles on it now.. my wife has a 2014 FJ Cruiser, all stock.. so far… and I have a 88 FJ62, DD, that has been modified somewhat see my build http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/mark...-build.806082/

.. I had at one time a 69 Chevy K10 that I completely went thru.. It was more of a restomod project.. late model 5.3 and 4L60e.. if you are ever bored you can find the build to it here
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=494599
.. lots of pictures… be warned.

Back to the Lexus, my plans for the Lexus are very similar to the FJ62.. Build a daily driver that I can go almost anywhere in… Below are my plans for the LX450
Drivetrain
Engine: 5.3 or 6.0
Motor mounts Marks4wd
Wiring Modified Factory Harness
Exhaust Manifolds Block Hugger headers?
Exhaust Custom
Fuel pump ??
Regulator Corvette Fuel filter
Fuel System AN hoses and fittings
Cooling Stock radiator with electric fans
Intake Stock intake tied to LX450 Air Filter
Transmission 4L60e or 4L65e
Shifter Modified LX450 and cable shift
Transfer case HF2
Trans to Transfer adapter Marks4wd
Lift
2.5" or 4" or 6"
Manufacture ?
Armor
Front Custom
Rear Custom
Sliders Custom
Wheels
Stock? Powder coated Black
Tires
295/75/16 Nitto?
Audio/Video
2DIN Nav system ?
Backup camera
Storage
Rear Custom 2 drawer..
Inverter ?
Lockers
ARB Maybe.. Someday

I will be documenting my build here, I am looking forward to hearing from other members of the forum on what I am doing right and what I am do wrong..

Here we go..

First day home..

Second Day

My son brought his trailer and we moved the Lexus to the Shop.. (on Lake Eufaula, about 140 miles from my home).

Later that evening I started on step one.. cleaning up the interior. Looked like a lot of cokes and coffee may have been dropped on the carpet..

Day 3: After the cleaning.. There were still a few stains.. but it is now clean.. turned out very well.. I used a strong power washer to clean the carpet.. I did the same with the FJ62 and it turned out nice as well.

I decided to go ahead and pull the drivetrain as well.. Wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.. took a about 3 hours by myself.. Tip: if you are pulling the engine, transmission, and transfer case as one unit, be sure and remove the transfer case shifter from the top of the transmission before you start the pull.

I have parts ordered from Marks4wd.. I ordered the
4L60E 6 bolt to LandCruiser 4-speed auto HF2A Transfer Case MFK1195AE6
And
Engine Mount Kit - LS Series V8 to LandCruiser 80 & 105 Series MFK1765EM

It was expensive, but with the current exchange rate I got it all shipped for right at $1300..

Still working on getting the engine and transmission. I have a guy that I have purchased the last two engine swaps from, so he is looking to see what he has…

Also looking for a lift kit.. anybody have a ideas on where I should go to get a lift kit?

Have a great day
Mark

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Crash's Roof over Lake Home

Crash's 1988 Land Cruiser Build
Crash_OK is offline   Reply With Quote