The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #1
72'FleetcydeENVY

1972 fleetside bagged longbed project

Just getn into this chat/ forum stuff. Not startin out to possitive?? U can post this,but not that? Dont get it? Wont have laptop for a week or so? Hard to figure this out on a phone?? Anyways im putn an airbag system in my 72 chevy. Got all the front end stuff figured out,decided i dont want to hack my classic truck to pieces for this build. Or to lay frame an be all fancy hittin switches going down the road. Just kinda feelin out my options for whatever i decide to replace my leafsprings with? A 4 link from the place im getn my air ride setup from? Either triangulated,or parallel?? Original plan was to just make a simple an strong arm setup that is welded to the rear axle and kinda angles up to attach at the stock leafsprings front hangers?? I havent been able to find a good example of what id like to do though?? At least not less expensive than buying the bars and rod ends to just make a 4 link?? Notch is bein made,an im running outta time to find an example of the semi-simple arm setup id like to make?? Id hate to rush into makin a crazy 4link when im not climbin rocks,an im not getn jiggy with it? Just want the truck to go up and down?? Set a low cruize hieght and roll without losing my exhaust,or tailgate,or whatever?? Old heavy duty custom rear Barders bumper and gear is coming off,so is the under bed spare tire holder,an the big ol dog eared rearveiw door mirrors are removed and put up. Will try to post them for sale soon,in case someones building the opposite way than myself and can use those items?? And a bench seat that needs some love but is original?? Ill try to post em when itll let me? Not sure how much. I know that stuffs worth somethin,but its more bout helpin out?? If anyone can point me in the right direction to see different home suspension builds id appreciate it? Will start my own build log when i dont have to do it on a phone? Good day chevy truck lovers.
72'FleetcydeENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:03 PM   #2
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: 1972 fleetside bagged longbed project

www.porterbuiltfabrication.com
Convert your truck to trailing arms for a super nice ride!
Attached Images

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:03 PM   #3
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Welcome to the site. Easiest way to figure out the do and dont is to read all of the global announcements.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:50 PM   #4
72'FleetcydeENVY

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
www.porterbuiltfabrication.com
Convert your truck to trailing arms for a super nice ride!
Thats a beautiful comfy lookin setup. I might be a ways off from getn to that point? It is kind of a future goal. Right now my budget is broken up between,some important tool, a smal amount of mechanical issues,ie,tune up,gas tank swap,possible radiator swap,small steering issues(bad rubber here and there), all of thats half done,and not taking a huge chunk of my budget. Im getn an ok price on my whole air bag set up,so no complaints at all there?? Another chunk is goin to some old fees. I have been searching for awhile for those old style trailing arms,but its just not affordable right now?? I have a welder and could make some,but some old ones off a chevy truck would be more to my liking?? I also have a friend an fellow club member thats offering to build me a 4 link at work if i just buy the ends?? I just hate feeling like i owe someone even though he offered? But he is also making my notch. Now the notch isnt major,but i dont want him to get fired takin bars or whatnot from work?? So,if i cant find a way to make some kind of link for my rear axle that connects at the front leaf hangers,im gonna have to let my friend that knows plenty bout em,make my 4link pieces like he wants me to do,or get the bars,ends,and brackets an do it myself,or pay a lil extra for a 4 link built for my truck,that id still get the pleasure of measuring,cutn and assembling myself too?? Its a tough decision,but DIYer in me leans towards the last two options. Unless i can find an example of what id like to do for now,which is arms connecting to my existing hangers? I know its not practical,but its not uncommon either. I read about it plenty of times,just havent seen clear pics. Cartoonish diagrams,but no poor mans goood example?? I guess ill start searchin again. One day soon i hope to have a clean setup like ur trailing arm setup. For now im just under pressure to make up my mind?? Maybe ill flip my leafs,bolt it back down,weld the stack together and to the axle,then cut the other half of the leafs of at the rear of the axle and id kinda have what im lookin for???? Hhmmmmm.........and no. Fun fun cant wait to be done. Itll work out. One way or the other im getn it done. Thanks man. That is clean.. a goal to work towards.

Last edited by 72'FleetcydeENVY; 02-15-2014 at 07:52 PM. Reason: add pic..
72'FleetcydeENVY is offline   Reply With Quote