The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2010, 09:12 AM   #1
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Cam for my 6.0 swap

Its time for me to order up my cam so I can start to put my motor back together and get her into my 66.
Right now im on a mostly stock 2003 6.0, with a swap oil pan and it will have some swap headers. I've been looking at a few cam kits from Texas Speed, but I have a number of cam options; I've looked at the Texas Speed Tsunami, Torquer v3 as well as a couple of the Magik Stick cams.

I will be upgrading the springs and push rods to accomodate the new cam, and I may consider upgrading the intake manifold to a FAST model. My only other performance adder may be a small spray for track days.

Anyone used Texas Speed cams? Any recommendations on which of these I should lean towards?

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
85burb

Re: Cam for my 6.0 swap

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...est/index.html

Here are some comp cams test runs.
91 chevy c10 suburban Lsa 5.3/4l60
2017 Silverado whipple 5.3
1964 Vw beetle
1974 vw beetle
85burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:13 AM   #3
MONTEZ

Call Damon Sampson at MASTMOTORSPORTS. They have an awesome cam for the 6.0. Just a cam and springs plus a good tune will get you in the 500hp range easy.

Last edited by MONTEZ; 09-23-2010 at 07:15 AM.
MONTEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
Shon

What is your plans for the truck? Any towing? if not, then it opens up the cam selection and what torq converter you can run.
I have a used FAST 90mm intake and NW90mm TB (cable style) for sale $950 shipped.
As for the TC, if you do not plan on towing get a 3k-3600 from Yank, Vigilante, or Circle D.
If you do not change the heads then you can get about any cam to fit but if you change heads or mill the current 317s you need to check Piston to Valve clearance just to be sure!

If you decide to go with a Comp Cam let me know and I can price you out the 'stuff'.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
Shon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONTEZ View Post
Call Damon Sampson at MASTMOTORSPORTS. They have an awesome cam for the 6.0. Just a cam and springs plus a good tune will get you in the 500hp range easy.
is that at the crank?! or wheels?? going to take more than a cam and tune to get 500 to the wheels, think a good set of heads:

www.advancedinduction.com for the heads!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
MONTEZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shon View Post
is that at the crank?! or wheels?? going to take more than a cam and tune to get 500 to the wheels, think a good set of heads:

www.advancedinduction.com for the heads!
Crank. I never give wheels estimates.... to many variables per vehicle. I would stick with the truck intake or go with a ls2 factory intake to put the money else where.

Last edited by MONTEZ; 09-23-2010 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Replied to the wrong thread :/
MONTEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
Shon

Quote:
Originally Posted by montez View Post
crank. I never give wheels estimates.... To many variables per vehicle.
10-4
Old 09-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

vehicle will not be towing ANYTHING EVER . Its a fun truck, only going to be used as a street machine with occasional track days. Heads are stock and will probably remain so, at least for a good while. I'm looking for something fairly aggressive, and I'm probably looking towards a 110-112 LSA as the lope of the cam doesn't bother me, and I'm running no vacuum accessories right now. I do plan on running spray on this motor for the occasional track day/grudge race,

I may upgrade to the ls2 intake if i can find one for the right price.

Texas speed has a deal for any cam from them, their pushrods and PRC dual springs for $680 shipped. I'd like to order everything together, so I know that my combo of springs/rods/cam is compatable.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #9
MONTEZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post

Texas speed has a deal for any cam from them, their pushrods and PRC dual springs for $680 shipped. I'd like to order everything together, so I know that my combo of springs/rods/cam is compatable.

At least call MAST before you pull the trigger.......

They even have a ls2 intake they used for dyno testing that is just collecting dust now, they may sell it too... Wouldn't hurt to ask.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:18 AM   #10
Shon

Why go with the LS2 intake? It sux, the LS6 or FAST is a way better option.
yeah you get a 90mm opening but the runners are not worth it.
If anything look at a TBSS intake so you do not have to move anything and get the 90mm opening but a LS2 car intake sux.

Dont overlook the lifters when going to the dual springs, I suggest getting new ones.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #11
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I actually did mean ls6, but thanks for the info montez. I'll talk to those guys before ordering anything. Is the truck intake really only good to 5500rpm (that was a consensus heard at ls1tech)?

Shon, why lifters? I really don't want to pull the heads at this point. Most of the info I've seen seems like the stock lifters should work fine with upgraded pushrods and a bigger cam. I may want to do the needle bearing upgrade on the rockers tho.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #12
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONTEZ View Post
At least call MAST before you pull the trigger.......

They even have a ls2 intake they used for dyno testing that is just collecting dust now, they may sell it too... Wouldn't hurt to ask.
I didn't call them yet, but the website only seems to list cams for the Ly6 trucks, and I'm not using the vvt thing. I assume they offer much more?

Old 09-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #13
Shon

Quote:
I actually did mean ls6, but thanks for the info montez. I'll talk to those guys before ordering anything. Is the truck intake really only good to 5500rpm (that was a consensus heard at ls1tech)?

Shon, why lifters? I really don't want to pull the heads at this point. Most of the info I've seen seems like the stock lifters should work fine with upgraded pushrods and a bigger cam. I may want to do the needle bearing upgrade on the rockers tho.
Truck intake is going to flatten out about 5500-5800 depending on a few things. How much higher you want to spin it? once you get up into the 6500+ range you will want to look at rod bolts possibly.
As for why lifters...cheap insurance while you are putting it all together....
its all up to you.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:09 PM   #14
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Gotcha. Not planning on spinning much north of 6k, doubt I'd spin over 6500 (intentionally).

After a number of phone calls yesterday, I still wound up with Texas Speed. Mast doesn't offer cams for the genIII motors, and the guys at TSP were able to spend a few minutes going over the combination and goals with me. Going with a TSP Tsunami cam, tsp rods and prc dual springs.

Shon, thanks for the offer on the FAST manifold, but I'm on a DBW TB, so I don't think it would work.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:02 PM   #15
Shon

Quote:
Shon, thanks for the offer on the FAST manifold, but I'm on a DBW TB, so I don't think it would work.
It works perfectly, 4bolts and its on the intake.
If you want the LSxRT (ie the FAST 102mm TRUCK intake) let me know, we ship those out for $840.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #16
MONTEZ

Quote:
Mast doesn't offer cams for the genIII motors.

Sorry I wasn't thinking the other day. I forgot that I was gonna be able to run the gen IV cam in my gen III engine because I would have the MAST controller. Good luck with the swap and keep us informed on how it turns out.