The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2015, 02:10 PM   #51
clemsonteg

Re: Heat sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67c20 View Post
So let me get this right, no insulation, current temperature of about 25 deg, with a high of around 50 deg. First off air is a poor conductor of heat. With that said, the warm air, cause that's about all your getting at those outside air temps, is mixing with the cold steel and air contained near the floor, causing you lower extremities to feel cool, which in turn sucks the heat from your core body temperature, which eventually makes everything feel colder. I would suggest getting some type of carpet, even if it is only one of those carpet squares that have some insulation on the bottom, as a temporary measure to make things feel warmer. From reading the thread, it seems your system is working properly, but you not only have mother nature against you, but also air fighting general issues with air. Just me 2 cents.
I would tend to agree. I guess my concern is that the air blowing from the vents is not very warm, especially when moving. It's apples to oranges, but my daily driver puts out extremely warm air once the vehicle is up to operating temp. I will need to put a temp gauge on it to provide a more accurate reading.
clemsonteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:39 PM   #52
Lee H

That's where my gauge reads even when hot, and a mechanical gauge reads at 190-200.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:42 PM   #53
my67c20

5 bucks says your daily driver has insulation, which goes up the inside of the firewall, where your truck is a big hunk of cold steel with a heating system that is almost 50 years old. Put a thermometer on the floor, the seat, and the headliner and see how much of a variation in temperature there is, then do this to your daily driver. Think the results might shock you.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:57 PM   #54
clemsonteg

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67c20 View Post
5 bucks says your daily driver has insulation, which goes up the inside of the firewall, where your truck is a big hunk of cold steel with a heating system that is almost 50 years old. Put a thermometer on the floor, the seat, and the headliner and see how much of a variation in temperature there is, then do this to your daily driver. Think the results might shock you.
I doubt it would shock me. I said it was an apples to oranges comparison when I mentioned it. I also have the ability to recirculate the air in my daily driver which I don't have in the truck.

I have insulation on the firewall of the truck. Floors are bare since I just painted them. The plan is to put down sound deadening mat followed by insulation and carpet.

I guess my main point was the heat sort of works when sitting still, but the air temperature of the heat coming from unit cools off when moving. I guess I will find out Saturday morning when I take it for a drive and determine if any of m y changes improved the situation.

I don't particularly care about my comfort, but my 2 year old son loves riding in "his truck" and I want to make as many memories as I can with him.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:38 PM   #55
Boog
laying low

Have you checked the cowl air intake door to see if its working? It's been a long time since mine was on the road so memory is questionable on this. It is vacumn operated. That cowl door when closed will allow the fan to pull air from inside the cab to recirculate it thereby warming the cab better.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:54 PM   #56
clemsonteg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Have you checked the cowl air intake door to see if its working? It's been a long time since mine was on the road so memory is questionable on this. It is vacumn operated. That cowl door when closed will allow the fan to pull air from inside the cab to recirculate it thereby warming the cab better.
I am not aware of any vacuum operated door. Doesn't mean I don't have one, but I have never looked for one.

I have also read that the fan should be multi speed. I have never tried the air fan control lever in different positions, only all the way right or all the way left.

Are either of those items factory installed on a non-ac truck?
Old 02-19-2015, 05:13 PM   #57
Boog
laying low

Oh. I assumed you had an air cab. For sure the air cab has that cowl door but a heat only cab may not. And you definitely have a multi speed fan even on your setup.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:26 PM   #58
clemsonteg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Oh. I assumed you had an air cab. For sure the air cab has that cowl door but a heat only cab may not. And you definitely have a multi speed fan even on your setup.
That is certainly a point to check then. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:35 PM   #59
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: Heat sucks

No cowl vent flapper on non AC trucks. No need for it.I think we have figured it out though. You are just not able to over come all the cold metal for these kinds of temperatures we are having right now.
Are you planning to come to the breakfast saturday by chance?

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:04 PM   #60
clemsonteg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
No cowl vent flapper on non AC trucks. No need for it.I think we have figured it out though. You are just not able to over come all the cold metal for these kinds of temperatures we are having right now.
Are you planning to come to the breakfast saturday by chance?
I am Andy, which is exactly why I want the heat to work I still don't think the cold temps and too much metal explain the low air temp directly from the vent even when idling in the driveway. I may try the cardboard trick and brave the cold tomorrow morning to see if any of my changes made an improvement.

I did discover that the multi speed function actually works, so I may experiment with a slower air speed so the air is in contact with the heater core longer
Old 02-19-2015, 08:12 PM   #61
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Heat sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonteg View Post
I am Andy, which is exactly why I want the heat to work I still don't think the cold temps and too much metal explain the low air temp directly from the vent even when idling in the driveway. I may try the cardboard trick and brave the cold tomorrow morning to see if any of my changes made an improvement.

I did discover that the multi speed function actually works, so I may experiment with a slower air speed so the air is in contact with the heater core longer
Which way you going? My daughter and I are going to. We could meet and drive together. I'll be going through Easley to 153 out to 85. I'll bring my temperature gun with me also so we can see what it's doing.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:49 PM   #62
clemsonteg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Which way you going? My daughter and I are going to. We could meet and drive together. I'll be going through Easley to 153 out to 85. I'll bring my temperature gun with me also so we can see what it's doing.
I'm off exit 27 (or 34 depending on my route) on 85, so I planned to head up 85 the whole way.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:09 PM   #63
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Heat sucks

OK, I was just looking at the weather and it looks like snow and rain for Saturday so I want be in the truck. I'll drive the Tahoe!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club