The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2002, 02:38 PM   #1
treefrog

Bed Liner

Can you help me with a recommended liner? Rhyno uses a cold process in colors. Line-X uses a hot process, 190 F, but black ony (my truck is white). I need to protect from the shoes of Grandchildren, plus errands she-who-must-be-obeyed strongly requests. Your input appreciated. TF
treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 03:36 PM   #2
hughnews1

bed stuff liner

go to NAPA and get the roller and bush stuff. very good and about $60
I used it on the 2000 GMC 1/2 sB with NO prob .2 years and snow . good luck
hughnews1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 03:43 PM   #3
dbenamati

I used the Duplicolor brand from the local Walmart. It was only $30 for a gallon and a coulple bucks for the textured rollor and a chip brush. I got the stuff because I wanted to paint over it to match the truck. I considered the Hurculiner roll on and emailed both companies. Only the Duplicolor company said that their's can be painted over so I got it, rolled it on and let it cure. I then did a test patch and mixed up enamel paint, hardner and shot the test patch. Covered nicely!! For the price and the application I give it an " A", as far as it will hold up with paint on it only time will tell but I can always repaint it if it looks like crap, right?
Old 06-02-2002, 06:54 PM   #4
Brian19692

All I know is Line-X STICKS. I started putting a boxside on a truck with Line-X on it. I had to peel it all off with a hammer and chisel. It sucked!

Des Moines, Iowa
Brian19692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 07:10 PM   #5
mikep
Used to have a truck

I know a guy who rhino'd his entire truck. It was a new dodge ram. Looks like hell now. I dont know why people do stuff like that. Personally I dont see much use in the stuff. I mean if you are worried about scraping your bed up then why cover it up with rubbery goo? To protect the resale value? Do it the day before you sell it then.
Old 06-02-2002, 07:58 PM   #6
Grim Reaper

I have done a good bit of reasearch on this stuff.
Find another Line-X dealer. The ones around here can and will do colors. Hit your local Auto motive paint suply house. There is some stuff available in colors. It's to be applied with a under coating gun.
The reason Duplicolor can be painted over is because it is paint. It's just a thick paint and not the plastic type stuff the others are. It doens't hold up near as well as the others but it is cheap and it easy to repair.
One thing I found out is a lot of this stuff will not stick to rattle can paint. It reacts to the solvent used in rattle can paints and will peal off.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 08:11 PM   #7
kirsten
need i say more

All in all, I believe that a removable liner would be best; you're not screwing up the truck and it is safe from errand stuff and shoes.

Besides, those are forever options and nice paint looks so good... you won't be stuck with it if you get a removable liner.

Just a thought!

*big block environmentalist-HA*
seaangel@shaw.ca

the creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
kirsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 09:09 PM   #8
Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally posted by kirsten
All in all, I believe that a removable liner would be best; you're not screwing up the truck and it is safe from errand stuff and shoes.

Besides, those are forever options and nice paint looks so good... you won't be stuck with it if you get a removable liner.

Just a thought!
They have a whole list of their own problems. Water and dirt gets under them. The dirt grinds through the paint. The water sits there and breeds rust. Not enough aire flow under there to dry it back out. There there are the instances where static electricity will build up on them and ignight gas fumes as your filling gas can should you try to do so with the gas can sitting in the bed.
A properly aplide spray in bed liner will prevent rust and preserve the bed. The water and dirt can't get under it. They are repairable should it get scuffed up. Down side is they can be expensive.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote