The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
Cannonball1

Restraint Systems

I'm looking to put a driver restraint system in a '71 C10 for my 16 y/o son. Something like a four point mount racing style belt system, although I'm not sure I'll use the sub belt. Has anyone done this in theirs? I've been looking online and I'm not sure how/where the shoulder harnesses would mount. Is there a style/brand that has them long enough to mount to the floor? It still has the stock gas tank location behind the seat, at least for now.

Any recommendations?
Cannonball1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
406 Q-ship

Re: Restraint Systems

I would just put in a regular 3 point retractable belts from somewhere like Julieanos. To mount racing harnesses, you need to build a harness bar (like the roll bar) inside the cab of the truck. I guess you could reinforce the sheet metal of the back of the cab, then mount the shoulder belts to it rather than a harness bar. You can NOT run the shoulder belt to the floor of the cab, the angle will be incorrect and will cause a spinal injury if your son was involved in a inncident. Go to one the websites like Simpson and look at the angle of how the shoulder harnes has to be installed to not cause more damage to the wearer. Plus the sheet metal is NOT strong enough to hold the belt mounting without some kind of reinforcement. There is more science to seltbelts than most understand.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
hayhauler71

Here is a pic of mine they are mounted to the floor but do not use them since the research on spine injury i will make a bar behind the seat if i use them again
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
cdowns

best restraint system for a teenager is a gaspedal that does not go to the floor
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
Cannonball1

Thanks for the replies.

406 - I actually went to Simpson's site just after I posted this and saw their mounting recommendations and read about the 40 degree angle requirement. This must be somewhat recient because I had a set in my '65 Mustang that mounted to the floor but that was back in the mid '80's.

cdowns - the truck is a project that we bought and are putting together so I haven't heard it run yet, but it seems to be a semi-hot 350 with an eaton 4.10 posi, so I may have to mount a wood block to the floor.
Cannonball1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
best restraint system for a teenager is a gaspedal that does not go to the floor

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
Heavy return springs on carb. (my friends dad did that to her car)

A 3 point would be fine they are super easy to install in the factory locations i did some in my wife's 67 recently. She bought the non retractable and they fit fine, but you can get the retractable too and other options.

she got them from http://www.seatbeltplanet.com lots of colors and styles and USA made
Attached Images

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
kcsa75

I bought mine from Beams in Midwest City, OK. Found out later, they are also Seatbelt Planet.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote