The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
Skunksmash

Prep concrete for tile, after linoleum?

Hi all. I know this isn't a DIY home improvement forum, but I know a lot of you guys are big DIY'ers. I took the old linoleum off my bathroom floor. And I am getting ready to lay tile. So here are a couple of questions and pics.

1. How exactly do I prep the floor for tile? Seeing as how there used to be linoleum. As you can see from the pics, the old linoleum glue is still there. Should I somehow sand that off? Or put some kind of chemical on there?

2. I'd like to use some self leveling compound on the floor, if it turns out its necessary once I check with a straight edge. But there is already some old leveling compound on the floor, where someone else did it. Its somewhat broken up though, which happened when I was taking up the linoleum. Can I just pour new compound over the old stuff? And what kind of edge will the compound leave? I wouldn't want my tile to be unlevel.

Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
Indian113

Re: Prep concrete for tile, after linoleum?

If it was me I would put a new under layment down. You could use a product called duroc or use a luan board. Sanding off that glue is a pain in the azz.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I would assume this is going over a plywood sub floor.. I Would scrape up as much of that as I could there is a product you can buy that will allow the self leveling concrete to adhere better id paint that on then throw a thin self leveler layer then id do the cement board down Durock make sure you glue it and screw it down make sure you hit the joists and use lots of the correct screws then the ceramic tile Id also pull the bowl sink and tub out and make sure the tiles are sitting under there and all

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
kingsolver72
10/30/19

I wouldn't try to install Luan or durock over concrete. Doesn't look like the old adhesive was a cutback.Cutback is black. If it was a cutback I would use Shurlock or an encapsulator that is self leveling. Pretty expensive though. You have to use a primer also. The encapsulator is to prevent the black glue from rising up between vct..but if youre using ceramic tile with grout i dont think you need to worry about it. If the floor doesnt have asbestos in the old mastic, I would use a self leveling patch.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by kingsolver72; 09-15-2013 at 10:33 PM.
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
Skunksmash

Yeah its concrete not wood. So basically, I don't have to sand that glue off. I need to get the right chemical and put that on there instead. Then, primer, then thinset. Does that sound about right?
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:43 AM   #6
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

kingsolver is the man!!
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote