The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
6.7l

radiant heat troubles?

hi guys i just picked up a 68 c10 lwb 396/air truck but its only a custom while trying to tune the carb i bought a fuel pressure gauge (marshall liquid filled) i noticed buy accident when truck runs for 15 plus minutes it loses fuel pressure. it had a clear filter before the carb next to the head , and when it gets warm it stats pumping bubbles and filter has no fuel but truck still runs! yesturday i replaced the holley 80gph pump with a new edelbrock 110gph changed the feed line to carb from pump to alum and wrapped it with heat barrier tape, moved filter under truck between cab and frame lines filled tank in truck and same problem. i also bought a laser thermometer when i was out to try to carify the problem, it showed after 10 minutes of running (idle)header tubes near heads were 480-500 deg collecters were 400deg, and frame rail fuel line is on from inner fender read 140deg and thermostat housing was only at 130deg.

i removed headers and am painting them with cermic header paint and ordered dei titanium heat wrap for them and also a therm sleave for the fuel line i noticed a 200deg reduction in exhaust tubing 1" past collecter with the bull **** cermic paint so i figured its worth a try.

sorry for all my rambling i appoligize the trucks motor is a 72 402 thb code 210hp, has i think hedman headers, 241 heads, comp solid lifter cam large but dont know specs(280) range truck dosent idle nice, comp springs, pushrods, roller rockers. old edelbrock? ( id ground) mid rise holley 3310 flamethrower 2 dist and coil.

i guess im wondering is there anythink else im overlooking. dose this sound like tippicle vapor lock issue? heres some pics

6.7l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: radiant heat troubles?

So what are you trying to fix?
You said it runs good. Maybe you need to just ignore what you see in the clear filter. My 65 was the same. Six banger, no extra heat near the lines. Kept on ticking. I just learned to ignore it. The air bubbles you see are because fuel is oxygenated (contains air) and the air seperates as it flows. If you get a little air into the carb so what! It's vented for that reason.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
6.7l

i can under stand your point but this is not just bubbles theres only about 10% fuel in filter almost if fuel is only coming in vapor form truck does run but idles i'm not driving it. its not a problem yet but its not that hot here yet and while im a little worried for when temps hit 90's of it going to die. forgot to mention it also has a non clutch flex fan on it and all this has been happning with runin the a/c wich would increase underhood temps
6.7l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
leftybass209

I can see you trying to head off a problem before it becomes an issue, but as you said, you aren't driving it. The engine isn't under a load at idle, so the fuel pump isn't creating more pressure. I'd take it for a drive and see if it's causing some type of driving issue. I can't see the engine getting that hot during idle in only 15 min. The only problems left could be clogged lines, junk in your tank, the sock that slips over the fuel pickup in the tank, or some type of obstruction in the carb, giving you the impression that it's vapor lock.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
cdowns

what could be a big problem down the line is rubber hose sprins a leak and truck burns to the ground
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote