The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
69chevytruckin

Non relavent question

This has nothing to do with our year trucks or vehicles in general but how many of you guys are electricians, Union prefered but it doesnt matter at all. i'm curious because it is a field i want to get into and i would like a little insite on the job duties.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:05 PM   #2
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Re: Non relavent question

moved to general discussion
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Depending on the type of electrician you are you could be doing a number of things.
1.Wiring houses,easy repetetive work with not much challenge
2.Working for a power company-don't know much about that one
3.Plant electrician-they do a lot of standing around scratching their heads and calling tech support.
Is there any particular reason for your intrest in the electrical field?
One of the most needed areas I find in the electrical work is the ability to program and troubleshoot PLC's and Inverter style drives.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:32 PM   #4
BarryB

residential and commercial are the easiest fields in my book. Industrial, There's alot to know when you get into that field. Learning the PLC ,and controls for CNC machinery will put you into most any factory. I'm doing just residential because I do remodels, But I've been around it all for a few years.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:40 PM   #5
byrd
Union Electrician

IBEW local #369 member here

I have been in since 95' and have loved most every minute of it.
When I started in the trade I worked industrial work mostly at chemical plants, plastics manufacturing,Ford, Toyota assembly plants for my first 3 years. Then a state covention center project that lasted the last two years of my apprenticeship training. I mostly do small (30-100 K) commericial projects for the company I am with now.

My duties entail just about anything you can think of, from diging a ditch(when I was an apprentice), welding brackets,setting switch gear, building 30,000 amp services, working on a power plant stack(350' up, changing BIG light bulbs), working in all kind of lifts to get the job done,pulling wires, wiring up transformers, installing and hooking up different machinery you have never seen or heard of and are expected to make it all work just as planned, fixing or trouble shooting anything form a simple light fixture to a complex conveyor system at UPS, running all different kinds, and sizes of conduit in all conditions, hot, cold, wet,dry, high up in the air, underground, above drop cielings, to terminating fiber optics.

There are so many sub-fields you can get in to within the electrical trade, and you are limited only by your work ethic and you ability to apply the craftsmanship you have learned thru your apprenticeship.

I have learned that this type and all constructions jobs as based on the economy and when it tanks like it is now, then our work dissappears. When you get your Jouneyman ticket you can work at any local in the country that is hiring if there is no work where you live. I have been lucky and not had to travel, but a few days here and there, but a lot of guys do it all the time, it is fun when you are young and not tied down and you can make some big $$$ on the road to boot.

I have babeled on enough....
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:42 PM   #6
69chevytruckin

Thanks so much Byrd i really dont want to go to college so heard to have a trade in mind the electrical, HVAC, and surprisingly plumber have my attention i just wanted to know the job duties. THANKS
Old 10-14-2008, 02:04 AM   #7
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

3 guys are drinking in a bar.Do you know how to tell which is the plumber?
>
>
>
>
.>
>
>
>
>
He's the one wearing his wristwatch above his elbow.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote