The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
BHRS

Modern Technology 101

I just spent 3+ hours working on my wife's '03 GMC Yukon. I tried to fix it myself and save some money... Well, I did-sort of. On these modern electronic pieces of junk all the gauges are electronic and have known defects ( I learned after the warranty was up). They have little stepper motors which fail causing the speedo to show 110 mph when you are going 20 mph. I researched the "Yukon Forum" to find that this is a known issue and I can buy a set of updated "stepper motors" for $50.00.

I pulled the cluster out and found basically a mother board on a computer. There were more gizmos and solder than gauges. Anyway, to replace the speedo motor I had to pull the needles for all the other gauges and disassemble everything. Since all the gauges use the same motor, I decided to replace them all and be done with it-sounds like a good idea right???

Using the solder gun I heated and removed the speedo motor-simple. I popped in the new one and resoldered it. Next was the tach-this is where I should have just walked away and put it back together... I heated the solder around the four pins bouncing back and forth and pulling on the motor to pull it from the circuit board-it doesn't want to move. I keep heating and pulling until it comes off. Well, I guess I used too much heat for too long and where I needed to solder the new motor to and it melted away. Now the circuit is buried in the plastic of the board. I tried everything I could to fix it, but now the tach doesn't work.

I did heat and remove all the other motors and installed the new ones with no other issues. I put the plastic mess back together and everything works except for the tach. It isn't the end of the world, but I like everything to work right.

Then my wife comes out to see how "her" car is coming. I explain the situation and she tells me "See, this is why I'd rather pay to have someone fix things." I told her we should sell it and buy a '72 Suburban to match my truck then I can work on it. Well, now I am upset with her, the Yukon, and it's raining...

I think I am going to head back to the garage, listen to some country music, and drink beer...

1972 Cheyenne C10
Unrestored Original-3 Owner-RUST FREE Texas Truck
Big Block-TH400-PS-PB-AC-AM/FM Radio
BHRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
airdale94

Re: Modern Technology 101

It must be the body style, I know the Escalades are the same way. Just tell your wife that's "her toy" and if she doesn't want something "sensible" like a 72 Burb., she can pay to have it worked on. No shame in not wanting touch a mess like that.
airdale94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

Many-moons ago, about 480 of them, in fact, when I was a twenty-something fresh out of school, I went to work for Union Carbide Corp - a plastics films & resin manufacturor.

One of the old-timers had a rating-system for stuff we were testing:

"CPS" in his ratings stood for cheap plastic s _ _ _.

(I'll leave the fill-in the blanks to your imagination).

Took me a while of being there before anyone clued me in.

Sounds like that dash unit would qualify for a definite "CPS" rating.

Last edited by 68shortstep; 11-28-2008 at 07:46 PM.
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:01 PM   #4
dailydragger03

I think I am going to head back to the garage, listen to some country music, and drink beer...[/QUOTE]

I feel your pain. Just went through the same ordeal. Only I took mine apart and decided not to screw with the motors and I have a friend at the dealership who hooked me up on a new one. Don't sweat it the country music and beer will help.