The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2009, 07:11 PM   #1
grady5

not a chevy question but i really need help

my 97 dodge ram keeps cutting off and starting back instantly without me doing anything about a year ago it did this and i cleaned the battery terminals and it quit now its back i just replaced the ground cables and no luck. i know this is a chevy forum but there are alot of knowledgable people on here so any help is greatly appreciated
grady5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
mclairmo

Re: not a chevy question but i really need help

Check for trouble codes.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
cableguy0

Is it loosing all power? lights go off gauges die etc? the first place to look is to make sure the wiring harness or wires arent melted on the exhaust or rubbing through and randomly grounding out somewhere. some more details will help narrow it down
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
chevyboy55

Here's a great site for Dodge help. http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/tech.php
Old 08-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #5
grady5

it happens so fast its hard to tell what all goes off its really like less than a second it cuts off and starts back i do know the dash lights all come on then go right back out and the ac will stop blowing actually it sounds like its still blowing but not out of the vents. it does it while coasting or accelerating and sometimes backfires if im on the gas which i guess is expected when it shuts off
Old 08-19-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
cableguy0

its got to be a shorted wire to instantly drop and come right back. no one component controls everything that could cause everything to shut off all at once. any particular time it does it?
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #7
grady5

all the time i live 3 miles from work and it does it at least twice from here to there
Old 08-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #8
cableguy0

its possible its a bad ignition switch. play with the switch while the truck is running and see if you can get it to shut off just be careful not to turn the key off
Old 08-19-2009, 08:29 PM   #9
grady5

thanks ill try that i also read it could be weak battery so i"m going to let it charge overnight but the battery is only a couple of months old
Old 08-19-2009, 08:35 PM   #10
cableguy0

the battery does nothing but start the vehicle. i wouldnt worry about charging it. the alternator runs the electronics while the vehicle is running but still wouldnt cause the truck to cut out like you describe. if the alternator was bad the truck would run until the battery finally died
Old 08-19-2009, 08:40 PM   #11
grady5

thanks tomorrow i will play with the switch and check for any signs of a shorted out wire thanks for your help