The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2019, 02:24 AM   #1
phraza

Rear tire rub after lowering

Hey all,
Installed my rear drop this weekend. Loving the new height.

6" springs, trailing arms, shock relocators.

Now my rear tires rub on the inner guards (both sides). I'm still using the stock panhard bar as I haven't got an adjustable one yet, will that make a difference? See below pics.

My tires are: 255/70r15 on 15x8 rallys

Has anyone folded in the inner lip from the guard? Or cut it out? Or do I have to go thinner tire?

Any advice? Thanks in advance!
Fraser
Attached Images

1964 Chevy C10 Stepside
350 V8

Build thread here

Last edited by phraza; 08-04-2019 at 03:09 AM.
phraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:47 AM   #2
Katrina/10

Re: Rear tire rub after lowering

I was running the same tire size, same wheels, same problem. I decided to try 235/70 tires, and got no rubbing. Didn't really want to downsize or cut fenders, but they look ok. There's just not a lot of room in there.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:53 AM   #3
The Rocknrod

If you get wheels with correct back-space it wouldn't rub. Which is good news for you as you can tell the wife you need new wheels.
Stock rear end housing, 64 stepside backspace measurements I took had 6" inches on each side of the wheel mounting surface. Although I think I remember having the body shop remove a little lip from the inner fender maybe?
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:25 PM   #4
MusicMan70

Back in the old days I recall guys used to take a bat and slowly roll the small end across the top of the tire, inside the fender, for that extra room.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:09 PM   #5
phraza

Thanks for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina/10 View Post
I was running the same tire size, same wheels, same problem. I decided to try 235/70 tires, and got no rubbing. Didn't really want to downsize or cut fenders, but they look ok. There's just not a lot of room in there.
It is pretty tight in there, the thinner tires sounds a good quick fix. The decrease in overall diameter of the tire didn't change the height of the drop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
If you get wheels with correct back-space it wouldn't rub. Which is good news for you as you can tell the wife you need new wheels.
Stock rear end housing, 64 stepside backspace measurements I took had 6" inches on each side of the wheel mounting surface. Although I think I remember having the body shop remove a little lip from the inner fender maybe?
Haha, might get thinner tires as a temp fix, then be on the look out for some new wheels. Dropping the front in a couple of weeks, so will see how that goes too (2" springs plus drop spindles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan70 View Post
Back in the old days I recall guys used to take a bat and slowly roll the small end across the top of the tire, inside the fender, for that extra room.
Yea I've been searching fender rolling and seen people do that! Might be a last resort

1964 Chevy C10 Stepside
350 V8

Build thread here
Old 08-05-2019, 04:24 PM   #6
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan70 View Post
I have tried rolling my fender once and I bent the wheel well. I tried making the fenders wider by extending the fender braces and ended up cracking the paint. If you have room in between the bed side and tire I would try new wheels.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:19 AM   #7
Cohi

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
I have tried rolling my fender once and I bent the wheel well. I tried making the fenders wider by extending the fender braces and ended up cracking the paint. If you have room in between the bed side and tire I would try new wheels.
Yep. Increase backspacing.
'66 C10 on GSI Bagged Chassis - in progress
'12 FLHR
'11 Custom Homebuilt Chop/Softail
Cohi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:17 PM   #8
demian5

what diff is in this truck?
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:41 PM   #9
forestb

The new panhard bar will not make a difference for the problem you are having if it is happening on both sides. But you will still need to get one because it will cause problems. Have you tried driving it yet? Are you bottoming out with a 6 inch drop in the rear?
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:25 PM   #10
phraza

Quote:
Originally Posted by demian5 View Post
what diff is in this truck?
Just got the factory diff whatever that is (12 bolt?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
The new panhard bar will not make a difference for the problem you are having if it is happening on both sides. But you will still need to get one because it will cause problems. Have you tried driving it yet? Are you bottoming out with a 6 inch drop in the rear?
Yea rolling the guards is prob a last resort. I've been looking it over and I think slightly smaller tires would make it work. Looking at the 235/70/15 size.
Bump stops have about 2-3 inches of travel before hitting the axle. I never haul anything in the rear.

Have only driven it in and out of the garage (rubbing noise is horrible haha). Installing the front drop in the next few weeks when the weather improves, so will see how that sits

1964 Chevy C10 Stepside
350 V8

Build thread here
Old 08-07-2019, 11:22 AM   #11
scoot_mcgrute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phraza View Post
Just got the factory diff whatever that is (12 bolt?)

Yea rolling the guards is prob a last resort. I've been looking it over and I think slightly smaller tires would make it work. Looking at the 235/70/15 size.
Bump stops have about 2-3 inches of travel before hitting the axle. I never haul anything in the rear.

Have only driven it in and out of the garage (rubbing noise is horrible haha). Installing the front drop in the next few weeks when the weather improves, so will see how that sits
When I lowered my truck 7", I had 235/75-15s on Rally wheels and had to roll the passenger side fender even with an adjustable panhard bar. We used a piece of scrap tube laying around and when I went to 275s on different wheels, I ended up having to roll both sides and they still rub on hard corners.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:58 AM   #12
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by phraza View Post
Yea I've been searching fender rolling and seen people do that! Might be a last resort
I wouldn't try rolling the lip of the rear fender on our trucks...the compound bends and a horizontal lip do not lend themselves well to rolling outward like the early gen. Camaros and Firebirds that have a smoother radius arch opening. Go with wheels that have more backspacing.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:27 PM   #13
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: Rear tire rub after lowering

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin63 View Post
I wouldn't try rolling the lip of the rear fender on our trucks...the compound bends and a horizontal lip do not lend themselves well to rolling outward like the early gen. Camaros and Firebirds that have a smoother radius arch opening. Go with wheels that have more backspacing.
If your 8-inchers give problems on only 1 end, it may be quicker & cheaper to find 2 newer wheels from a van--like a G-20--there are many different width wheels in that style; and the vans have identical ones except some whose width is 7". This lets you keep your fatter tires but also gives some relief between both sides of the mounted tires. I'd say those wheels come in at least 3-5 different widths. When beauty rings are on, the diff. between 7" and 8" wheels doesn't show all that much. Lastly, you could get 4 rally wheels w/all being 7 inch. **Watch this: my '66 truck would not clear using your same size tires mounted on 8-inch rally's like yours; but it got happy with the 7" X 15", circa 89-92/454 stock Chevy "SS/Dale Earnhardt" chrome wheels: the ones having 5 holes with center caps held on with inner- and outer-threaded lug nuts and black plastic center cap retainers.
Good luck,
Sam

Last edited by luvbowties; 08-07-2019 at 08:42 PM. Reason: added more info
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:50 PM   #14
demian5

And you have no spacers bolted to the drums? This is totally odd. 8" fit, unless these were reversed or are 10"... but I put a set of 22" transports under a 60 step and had to run 1" spacers to get them to fit right and they have 1" front and 2" rear space.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:22 PM   #15
phraza

Thanks for the advice guys, I managed to borrow a 8" rally with a 235-70-15 tire on it and it fits like a glove.

So will get a set of those tires and sell my 255-70-15 (near new).

Think i'll slightly bend the inner lip of my guard a couple of mm just for piece of mind. mainly to take the sharp edge away

Cheers!

1964 Chevy C10 Stepside
350 V8

Build thread here