The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2020, 06:59 PM   #1
'68OrangeSunshine

Radiator Overflow Reservoir

After getting a tip from a completely different thread -- that Radiator overflow bottles from a Mid-'70s Nova fit inside the fender well of the '67-'72 truck's doghouse -- I bought one from Jeg's. Now I'm getting the other needed fittings to complete the mod.
The cap for the bottle is a Dorman part, but I didn't see it on the HELP shelf in my local Auto Zone. Tubing I can get from Ace Hardware.
The real question is what radiator cap do I use? I have a Stant 16 PSI with the red plastic sefety lever. It's so old, it was made in the USA. [Remember them?] I have heard comments that the plastic ''safety lever'' can break off -- leaving the cap stuck on the filler neck at the worst time. Never happened to me, but there's always a first time. Also the Prestone people tell me [on the side of the jug of anti-freeze] that the cap should be replaced every year.
Next item: Is 16 PSI too much for a 292 L6 w/o A/C? I used to run 13PSI, but last time I needed a Radiator Cap STAT, I grabbed the new one. It was 16 PSI.
Radiator is copper/brass 3-Tier core and is the wider V8-type for this vintage.
[The narrower L6 radiator shapes were no longer available. I only had to move out the radiator brackets to the wider position. Hoses were flexible enough as to not be a problem.] Not at all a disadvantage, since in Arizona, especially in Summer, more surface area is better.
Application is a '68 Chevy C/10, 292 L6.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:29 PM   #2
68Gold/white

Re: Radiator Overflow Reservoir

Run a 16 lb cap, no doubt, The old Stant "Lever" caps had metal levers, of course, they only make plastic levers, now.
THe more pressure you run in the cooling system, the more capacity you have to remove heat. THe 292 can generate plenty of heat.
Junker ford stuff ran 12 lb caps, for years. I think it was because they weren't capable of engineering ANYTHING correctly.

Show us the Nova coolant bottle!!!
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:56 PM   #3
'68OrangeSunshine

Well, I bought a 13 psi. No lever. Some generic brand from ORAP of Mexican origin. I think I'll hunt down a fresh Stant 16 psi tomorrow. Got the Dorman reservoir cap at O'Reilly's. Only $2 bucks and change.
If I shoot pix tonight, I'll have them developed tomorrow. [Just kidding.]
Here ya go:
Attached Images

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 07-31-2020 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:30 PM   #4
'68OrangeSunshine

Here's another. System chokes when I try to upload 3 pix at once. Even though it's set up to take five. IDK. Damn devilboxes.
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2020, 11:37 PM   #5
'68OrangeSunshine

And this is the hole it fits into. Battery on left, fender inside on right. Bright green spot is green Chromakey gaffer tape over lamp sockets in Side Marker Reflector. '68 = no bulbs.
Not bad for a blind snapshot. I had to hold the camera by one hand in front of the hood hinge and one hand from back of hood opening. I guessed on zoom angle.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2020, 03:06 PM   #6
Axle

Having had a '76 nova, I hated that overflow bottle with a passion. Near impossible to fill without a funnel. If you got the room, do yourself a favor and tilt it up on the neck side just to make filling it easier.
When I added an overflow to my '73 nova I got one out of a toyota pickup truck and mounted it to the rad support. I did not want to put up with the in-fender overflow ever again. =-)
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:16 PM   #7
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
Having had a '76 nova, I hated that overflow bottle with a passion. Near impossible to fill without a funnel. If you got the room, do yourself a favor and tilt it up on the neck side just to make filling it easier.
When I added an overflow to my '73 nova I got one out of a toyota pickup truck and mounted it to the rad support. I did not want to put up with the in-fender overflow ever again. =-)
Thanks for the heads up.
I was going to mount it today. I'll have to pull the battery anyway, since it went flat last night. Then the batt bracket. If I can get any down angle on the bottle, I'll do that. I do have a small-but-long funnel for the purpose already.
One concern is that this item will block access to the very tip of the fender bottom. Where slipped 1/2'' wrenches all go. Also, if left undisturbed, packrats can leave a nasty surprise from cholla and prickly pear thorns. I guess I can fish with a magnet-tipped tool picker.
Does the system suck coolant back into the radiator if it's low? Or is it simply to keep it from splashing out under the engine when it overheats?