The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2015, 04:49 AM   #726
RockinKees

Re: 1957 Chevy truck re-rebuild

Masterpiece!!

1959 Chevy Fleetside Longbed
My build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=643426
Kool Guyz CC
Instagram: _King_Kustom_
RockinKees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:01 AM   #727
63chevyll
gets board easy.......

Looks great. Love what you did with the taillights
63chevyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:52 AM   #728
greystoke

I love how you did the stripes, looks awesome. Great job Jim!!!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=305629
greystoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:55 AM   #729
Stepside Jim

Wow, I want to give everybody a big "Thank you".

I still have many odds and ends to do, one being painting the tailgate and the filler panel I made between the rear bumper and the bed.

I have a little work to do on the bed wood also.

I was talking to a fellow worker yesterday on how cool it would be to be able to follow the lives of these trucks from now, then back to the assembly line or better yet, from the assembly line to now.

I know this truck had three overhauls over it's lifetime. Best I could gather was one around 1982, then again around 1986. Each time it took one person to step up and do their magic to get it to the next overhauling.

I'd be curious as to it's life from 1957 to 1980.?

Fortunately for me it was a Texas truck, rust wasn't a huge issue, but with that, I felt more responsible to get this truck done right to show my gratitude of being lucky enough to work on such well preserved and original steel body that has survived nearly 60 years.

I still have work do to, more pics to come and I'd like to start gathering pics together for some before, during and after views of the project so far.

Once again, thanks for all your support over the time of this build project. Jim
Old 06-06-2015, 10:33 PM   #730
Stepside Jim

Update on where we are.....

I had Friday off, and also the next 2 weeks, back to Friday though.

The truck not being totally done yet, but all the needed lights, horn, wipers ect, are working. I got up early and did the nutin and boltin to make sure nothing falls off as I drive it to town, checked the fluids, ect.

Made it to the inspection garage, I know the owner, it went well. Of course, spent more time talking about the truck than actual inspecting. lol

Then to the licence and title place, I had a couple of issues with my paperwork but after some fancy dancing I got what I needed, new license plates. These are marked 31 years after the last set were issued, fantastic, another old truck brought back to life again.

Friday I only put about 10 miles on it, I had a couple of bugs to work out of it.

Made some adjustments and headed out again this morning, found a couple more bugs but got about 20 miles on it this time.

I made few more adjustments and went back into town tonight to a cruise in where car guys gather on the first Saturday of the month. Truck went over fantastic, started to make all the work worth while.

Sitting at the license place for an hour worked well, I had a couple of guys say either a wife or a friend said they saw a beautiful Chevy truck in town and explained it to them. They said news travels fast.

I haven't opened the throttle much yet, but have had fun playing with the exhaust cut-outs. Got it up to about 60 and drove perfect, very relaxing, even over occasional bumps there was no wander at all.

Oh, stopped at McDonalds tonight, mainly because I wanted to use my new cup holders. lol

Still on the do-do list....paint tailgate, rear bumper filler panel, paint seat support frame work in the cab, finish sound barrier in cab, finish wrapping the wiring....well, I guess there is still a lot of odds and ends, but I now know what I'm working for.

I also learned, be ready to discuss the truck where ever you go, and don't think you'll know who will strike up a conversation, anybody young or old, male or female has had comments so far.

I tell this story for all you who are still working on your projects, "your gonna have to have plastic surgery to remove to smile of your face"

That last line was from Vacation, Chevy Chase used a phrase I couldn't use here, but I'm sure most of you remember to movie.

Thanks everybody for following along my build thread, I'll get back to work and get more pictures too. Jim
Old 06-06-2015, 11:03 PM   #731
apache200

Congrats and hope you have many more great memories in the truck
Old 06-06-2015, 11:27 PM   #732
Kim57

Sounds like it's all working out real well.
Kim
Old 06-07-2015, 03:30 AM   #733
RockinKees

Congratz!

I enjoyed you build very much!
Hope you make many fun miles!!
Keep us updated!

Kool Guyz CC
Old 06-07-2015, 11:43 AM   #734
oldman3

Jim, congrats on being able to drive your beautiful truck. I know I'll see you around soon...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:59 AM   #735
Oldtruckwelder

Jim, NICE PROJECT !!
You and I have had some conversations on another forum about the old trucks, but just ran across your build thread and I have to say I spent the evening going though it. Great Skills , Great Craftsmanship and your attention to detail is off the Charts. Truck turned out amazing.
JT From SC
Oldtruckwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:48 AM   #736
Stepside Jim

Oldtruckwelder, yes I remember very well the couple of conversations and thanks for the kind words on my project.

I'm still slowly working through odds and ends, the nice thing about these odds and ends are that they all have a feeling of finalization, not just a step closer to the next step of progress.

This next week I'll be focusing on the tailgate and the rear bumper filler panel.

Some of this past week has been about focusing on the bed floor. Fortunately Dad had already invested in much of the stainless rails many years ago and were in great shape. I did order through Mar-k , the side 90 degree edge rails.

The wood was in very good shape but for some reason the mounting holes do not match how I see many 57 trucks are done. Yet, with a little fabrication I got it all to come together in the end.

I went ahead and sanded down the coating that was on the bed wood.

I used the Minwax Helmsman coating, like any product, once I started paying attention to how it self leveled after each brush stroke I was able to get a nice smooth finish. The gloss is as I expected, not as pure gloss as a paint clear coat, but has a very nice reflection, I'm very pleased with it.

With close to 60 carriage bolts and only one person, tapr does a good job of holding the bolts in place while starting the nuts from the bottom side.

I like how the side panel above is a reflection of the refection of the front panel.

One with all the shine in the bed area finished.

Just curious, am I the only one who pulls up a chair and just stares at the vehicle once in a while?

Last edited by Stepside Jim; 06-15-2015 at 12:54 AM.
Stepside Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:32 AM   #737
oldman3

Jim, bed looks great, nice job. Will you have your truck at the Licking show in July??...Jim
Old 06-15-2015, 08:41 AM   #738
Stepside Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
Jim, bed looks great, nice job. Will you have your truck at the Licking show in July??...Jim
Thanks oldman3, I'm working on the Salem show this coming Saturday.

I wasn't familiar with the Licking show but was bound to hear about it soon. I only get one Saturday off a month, do you know which Saturday in July that the Licking show will be?
Old 06-15-2015, 10:03 AM   #739
Kim57

Bed looks great.
Kim
Old 06-15-2015, 05:20 PM   #740
RockinKees

Yep, great looking bed!!

Kool Guyz CC
Old 06-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #741
Hblee

I've spent the last 2 days reading this thread, wow..., as many others have stated you have very impressive workmanship and fabricating skills. I've done a couple of body-off restorations but haven't built a hot rod yet, it's a whole different skill set.

I have a 57 stepside that I've recently started on. It belonged to my brother and he and my dad were restoring it. They got quite a bit done and my brother became ill and passed and my dad stopped working on it. Dad passed away in January so my goal now is to finish this truck up.

I have known this truck my whole life, it came from the Panhandle and was bought new by my grandma's neighbor, it was purchased at Steve Johnston Chevrolet in Dumas, TX. It finally made it's way to the Houston area in 1997 when my brother bought it from my uncle who had been using it for his lawn care business, so my family is the 3rd owner. It is very straight with only a couple of rust issues. I found a couple of pinholes in the floor and the cab corners have some small holes in a few places. The frame was blasted by my dad and I sprayed it with Eastwood frame paint back in 1998 and it still looks great, it is the nicest, slickest frame I think I've ever seen on a older vehicle, absolutely no issues.

The plans are for a 427 BBC w/alum heads, 700R4, MII IFS, and a 12 bolt rear diff. Your thread has given me many ideas on how to proceed. I don't even have a welding machine but hope to get one soon. I'll have to fix the cab corners and the floor plus the firewall and I want to close up some holes in the bed sides like I've seen done. I just need to start practicing, I've welded a couple of small items using a friends flux core mig in the past but that's about it. I have a good friend who's a circle track racer and quite the welder and fabricator who hopefully can teach me a few things. I'll probably have to farm out the paint work or find another place to do bodywork. I only have a 2 car garage and have a 67 Corvette (newly restored) occupying half of that so I can't really don't want to be spraying and making a mess.

I'm a new guy around here and have spent the last couple of weeks following different builds and seeing how guys do many of the things I want to do. There is obviously a lot of talent around here, I'm jealous of a lot of you guys.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:47 PM   #742
Stepside Jim

Welcome Hblee. Sounds like you certainly have some sentimental value in this truck of yours, I'm terribly sorry to hear about the loss of family members, those can be tough hurdles to get over and move forward.

I keep seeing posts and members from Texas, I believe my Dad bought mine from the south of Dallas area sometime back in the mid to late 1980's. I have found some pictures of it when he bought it, I'm gonna copy and post them and perhaps someone may remember my truck from back then.

You have struck up a good point I have a difficult time trying to get non-auto enthusiast to realize, the original type restoration vs. a Hot Rod restoration. I also have a '65 Corvette in need of a fairly original restoration, when I mention this people who ask what's my next project they imagine years and countless hours again. It's the personalization of the Hot Rod for me that makes me stop at every point and wonder what I can do now that I'm at this part of the project. With the Corvette, I grab the catalog, the credit card and install when the part shows up, done.

I have to agree, this forum has many great builds and information for anybody looking for ideas or just seeing an after market product that you need but didn't know it existed. I know I've learned a lot from seeing other's projects being built.

Frame is the foundation for any build, it's good you have that as a stepping stone. I can't say how much easier life will be if you get a Mig welder. I know there are many different opinions on gas or flux welding wire. I started with gas and never used the flux core so I have no opinion either way.

I will say, for every skill you learn, welding, grinding, body work, mechanical, ect, it is a leaping board for your skills and capabilities to keep growing.

Hblee, good luck with your truck and I as well as everyone else will be looking to see you moving along and perhaps having your own build thread. Jim
Old 06-17-2015, 09:27 AM   #743
Hblee

Thanks for the kind words. I've read all of your build thread, Ogre's and blue57's plus parts of others and have a general idea of where I want to go. I do have a question about where your big block mounts. Typically #1 cylinder is lined up with the front spindle, give or take. I see that you have plenty of firewall clearance but I've seen other big block transplants where they've had to modify or put in a different firewall to clear the valve covers. Any advice or suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepside Jim View Post
Welcome Hblee. Sounds like you certainly have some sentimental value in this truck of yours, I'm terribly sorry to hear about the loss of family members, those can be tough hurdles to get over and move forward.

I keep seeing posts and members from Texas, I believe my Dad bought mine from the south of Dallas area sometime back in the mid to late 1980's. I have found some pictures of it when he bought it, I'm gonna copy and post them and perhaps someone may remember my truck from back then.

You have struck up a good point I have a difficult time trying to get non-auto enthusiast to realize, the original type restoration vs. a Hot Rod restoration. I also have a '65 Corvette in need of a fairly original restoration, when I mention this people who ask what's my next project they imagine years and countless hours again. It's the personalization of the Hot Rod for me that makes me stop at every point and wonder what I can do now that I'm at this part of the project. With the Corvette, I grab the catalog, the credit card and install when the part shows up, done.

I have to agree, this forum has many great builds and information for anybody looking for ideas or just seeing an after market product that you need but didn't know it existed. I know I've learned a lot from seeing other's projects being built.

Frame is the foundation for any build, it's good you have that as a stepping stone. I can't say how much easier life will be if you get a Mig welder. I know there are many different opinions on gas or flux welding wire. I started with gas and never used the flux core so I have no opinion either way.

I will say, for every skill you learn, welding, grinding, body work, mechanical, ect, it is a leaping board for your skills and capabilities to keep growing.

Hblee, good luck with your truck and I as well as everyone else will be looking to see you moving along and perhaps having your own build thread. Jim
Old 06-17-2015, 12:26 PM   #744
Stepside Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblee View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I've read all of your build thread, Ogre's and blue57's plus parts of others and have a general idea of where I want to go. I do have a question about where your big block mounts. Typically #1 cylinder is lined up with the front spindle, give or take. I see that you have plenty of firewall clearance but I've seen other big block transplants where they've had to modify or put in a different firewall to clear the valve covers. Any advice or suggestions?
Yes, the clearance between the firewall and valve covers was very important, also important to me was not altering the firewall. I simply hate messing with interior work, well, mainly stuff having to do with fabrics, this includes messing with carpet, so I know if I changed the firewall in any way I may have to mess with the carpet. This way I ordered the carpet, and it fit.

Of course, not messing with the firewall meant the engine did have to sit forward slightly. I went with the dual electric fan set-up, this allowed the water pump hub to fit between the two electric motors of the fan set-up.

My only issue was finding the right set of front springs to support the front of the truck, it took a couple of springs but by using the Moog spring specification online catalog I found a set that is keeping the truck right where I want it to be.

On the other hand, no matter where the engine was located the correct springs was going to be a challenge.

Hope this helps, with the 427 you'll be right in the thick of it soon. When your frame was done, was it kept original or was it altered for a different front suspension?
Old 06-17-2015, 06:15 PM   #745
Hblee

It is untouched. I'm planning on using the short BB water pump like is on my Corvette and electric fans but I have a feeling that it's gonna be a tight fit. I need to get a bare block with heads and mock it up before I do the motor mounts. I just need to make sure it's not mounted too low.

Just bought a new Millermatic 211, it has great reviews and allegedly even a beginner like me can make some pretty welds. Can't wait to get started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepside Jim View Post
Yes, the clearance between the firewall and valve covers was very important, also important to me was not altering the firewall. I simply hate messing with interior work, well, mainly stuff having to do with fabrics, this includes messing with carpet, so I know if I changed the firewall in any way I may have to mess with the carpet. This way I ordered the carpet, and it fit.

Of course, not messing with the firewall meant the engine did have to sit forward slightly. I went with the dual electric fan set-up, this allowed the water pump hub to fit between the two electric motors of the fan set-up.

My only issue was finding the right set of front springs to support the front of the truck, it took a couple of springs but by using the Moog spring specification online catalog I found a set that is keeping the truck right where I want it to be.

On the other hand, no matter where the engine was located the correct springs was going to be a challenge.

Hope this helps, with the 427 you'll be right in the thick of it soon. When your frame was done, was it kept original or was it altered for a different front suspension?
Old 06-19-2015, 12:51 AM   #746
Stepside Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblee View Post
It is untouched. I'm planning on using the short BB water pump like is on my Corvette and electric fans but I have a feeling that it's gonna be a tight fit. I need to get a bare block with heads and mock it up before I do the motor mounts. I just need to make sure it's not mounted too low.

Just bought a new Millermatic 211, it has great reviews and allegedly even a beginner like me can make some pretty welds. Can't wait to get started.
I didn't have the original frame when I started my build, it had already been changed to a Camaro clip. I ponder the steering fitment with yours, with the original steering box I think there may be issues with exhaust on that side. On the other hand, I think there is a kit to relocate the steering box.

On the Miller 211, I have the old version #210, when mine ever quits working I'll be on the hunt for a 211, good choice.

Progress wise, I've been working on the rear of the truck, tailgate and license area.

There are many different ways of painting the tailgate, there is a couple of rectangular designs pressed into it.

Having the taillights in place for the last week has given me a chance to get a feel for the size and dimensional fit of those tail lights. To me, the tail lights look just a little small in proportion to the rest of the back of the truck.

With this in mind, I chose to use only the smaller rectangle to add some silver and the red pinstripes.

Now that the color decision was made I could move forward and paint. At the same time I was able to paint the filler panel black.

A look at the original bumper fit with original brackets. I remember this day, I said "no way".

Then came time to hack up those brackets.

With some welding and grinding, just what I wanted.

Then taking a 90 degree piece of 16 gauge sheet metal and making it contour fit to the rear bumper.

Then cutting lengthwise a piece of 3/4" tube. Then taper the end to look like a spear.

Finally all the pieces assembled together.

I still need to cut and buff the tailgate, once done I have the black stickers that go on to the CHEVROLET name. Once those are in place, they will break up the silver just right.

Well.... I had all the pictures in Photobucket, I hope you all enjoy a little past and present photo usage. Jim
Old 06-19-2015, 09:39 AM   #747
Kim57

Looks great.
Kim
Old 06-19-2015, 12:04 PM   #748
oldman3

Looks sweet, nice job...Jim
Old 06-19-2015, 10:45 PM   #749
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Awesome!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:10 AM   #750
Canadian_Trev

I have just finished reading this entire thread over the course of the last few night shifts. I am completely amazed at your attention to detail. No matter how small the difference may be to the untrained eye, it is these touches that make your truck stand out. Your fabricating and problem solving skills are something I will be striving for when I start(re-start) my '55 build. I would like to thank you for the time you took to explain in detail how you completed various steps as well as the liberal use of pictures. I for one have found it invaluable.

One thing that I think many would find useful would be a rundown of the tools you used, especially in the fabrication department(don't forget the pictures LOL). I know you have covered the Torchmate, but what did you specifically use to get all those welds grinded down so smooth? I have a solid collection of tools but would like to make sure I have the best tools for the job before I start cutting and welding patch panels, brackets, etc.

Once again, thanks for the time you dedicated to write this all up. I could see the countless hours here (on dial-up for the majority to boot!), let alone the hundreds of hours spend on your truck!
Canadian_Trev is offline   Reply With Quote