The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2018, 12:11 PM   #1
Chilly178

Trying to replace body mounts.

Hi I'm trying to replace my body mounts on 72 C20. I started on the passenger rear and the nut came off easily enough. Then I realized that I can't really jack the cab up enough to get the top spacer to come out. So then I took off the nut to the passenger side front cab mount and that came right off but now I cant get the bolt to come out. I can spin the whole bolt from the top and I noticed that the bushing is spinning with it. I'm thinking that the bushing is rusted to the bolt and is not letting it come out? I've been pounding on the bottom of the bolt trying to get it to come out but its not doing anything? Any ideas? I was thinking possibly trying to cut the top rubber mount off and getting it off then try heating it up. My plan was to take off both from the passenger side then i was hoping I would have enough room to jack the side up and have enough room for the rear one. I'm also wondering if I have to take my whole radiator out to change the core support mounts or maybe I can take the mounts off and try to move it enough for the carriage bolt and square washer to clear.
Chilly178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:02 PM   #2
68bowtie

Re: Trying to replace body mounts.

I happened to be doing my cab bushings this morning. I am not sure about the radiator. But for the cab mounts, mine had a good amount of rust on the bolt where it went through the spacer tubes, so it's possible it's wedged in there. You might have luck hammering the bolt up with a punch to free it from the upper bushing spacer. Check that your steering column, ground wires, and other parts are loose to allow the cab to come up high enough. It should come up high enough off the frame to get all the bushings out.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:29 PM   #3
Chilly178

I got this kit from GMC Paul and the front upper cushion doesn't fit in the front mounting hole. I didn't read anywhere anyone having this problem. Part number 132061. I want to know for sure this is the right cushion before continuing to dremel out the hole to accept this bushing. Is this normal? Seems like the new cushion has a metal piece encased in the bottom around the hole as well. Pic if you don't know what i'm talking about.
Attached Images

Last edited by Chilly178; 08-25-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Chilly178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:11 AM   #4
In The Ten Ring

Ttt.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote