The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2018, 06:44 PM   #1
GMCJOE

Engine Stands

Little back story. 69 GMC swb that left factory with a 307. When I bought my truck many years ago it had a 454. So, I’m assuming that the PO put in BB stands. After that, I swapped in a carbureted LT1 and reused the stands that was in it. About 2 years ago, while I had my truck stored with a friend I had him put in a 350 crate engine pulled out of a 90’s Chevrolet pickup. Now that I am running a fan, the engine sits too far forward putting the fan too deep into the shroud. I’m running a 4 core radiator. The current stands are in the two forward holes on the frame. The driver’s side stand was definitely cut for the bb headers. From several threads, it seems that the stands are in the correct position.

I’d like to push the engine and transmission back to gain this needed inches. It seems that if it was sitting on the inline 6 stands, the 2 1/2 inches on the rear bolt holes of the frame would put the fan in the position I am needing.

Current setup: 350 w/ serpentine belt drive, 4 core radiator

My question is... Do the big block stands sit the 350 more forward than it should be?

Needs a little love under the hood. Just getting everything correct (mechanics and wiring) before it goes off to body and paint.
Attached Images

1969 GMC SWB-350 SBC 700R4
2013 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Longhorn Edition-6.7 PPEI EFI Live CSP5 5” ProFlo Exhaust
GMCJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:20 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Engine Stands

-
I'm not sure about the engine being farther forward with the BB stands without going out and checking but here is a thread I posted a couple of years ago that shows the differences in all of the brackets.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=732393

I can tell you that the BB shroud is different than the SB. Read through this thread.....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=429475

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 12-30-2018 at 09:26 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:41 PM   #3
randy500
Account Suspended

You have small block stands in the correct small block location.
Your fan problem is from the long water pump and accessories on your engine. The chassis and fan shroud was designed for short water pump.
That serpentine belt setup looks like it sits further forward on the engine than regular long water pump stuff too.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:54 PM   #4
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
You have small block stands in the correct small block location.
Your fan problem is from the long water pump and accessories on your engine. The chassis and fan shroud was designed for short water pump.
That serpentine belt setup looks like it sits further forward on the engine than regular long water pump stuff too.

All of this ^^^... Those are hacked up small block stands, but If you put in big block stands, the engine will be pushed back about 1-1/2''. Then you can use a big block shroud and everything will fit perfect. BUT this requires moving the trans back also and having the drive shaft and the exhaust redone amongst a few misc items relocated, shortened or stretched.

OR, just install a big block shroud and see where the blade sits
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:58 PM   #5
GMCJOE

Thanks for the replies. LockDoc, I actually had read your post before posting a thread. The shroud is a SB non AC 2wd shroud, I ordered it myself but didn’t use it with my old electric fan setup.

All in all, looks like I’ll be looking for a set of inline 6 perch’s or a set of tubulars.

2013 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Longhorn Edition-6.7 PPEI EFI Live CSP5 5” ProFlo Exhaust
Old 12-30-2018, 10:03 PM   #6
GMCJOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
All of this ^^^... Those are hacked up small block stands, but If you put in big block stands, the engine will be pushed back about 1-1/2''. Then you can use a big block shroud and everything will fit perfect. BUT this requires moving the trans back also and having the drive shaft and the exhaust redone amongst a few misc items relocated, shortened or stretched.

OR, just install a big block shroud and see where the blade sits
Thanks for the insight. I would prefer to stick with a larger shroud, I’m running a built 700r4 and would prefer to keep plenty of airflow being pulled threw.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:17 PM   #7
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCJOE View Post
Thanks for the insight. I would prefer to stick with a larger shroud, I’m running a built 700r4 and would prefer to keep plenty of airflow being pulled threw.
It will actually increase air flow if you use the big block shroud (some), but the fan may still be too deep because of engine placement. I have actually done that swap personally myself years ago in my flat bed. I used big block stands with a built 400sb and the small block serpentine brackets. I know all the measurements and where they will locate everything.

Right now with the depth of your fan it could actually be cavitating some of the air flow instead of a clean draw through (if that makes sense)
Old 12-31-2018, 07:34 PM   #8
kwmech

pic
Attached Images