The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2016, 02:03 PM   #1
EagleChief

New member... looking to get a truck.

Hello there. I'm new to the forum. I found this forum a couple of weeks ago and have been looking around, reading a few threads. Well, thought I'd finally say hi!

I've been on the search for a '70-'72 C10 for a few months. Nothing serious, just looking around... I've only looked at 2 in person. Well, low and behold (?), I saw a '72 this last weekend that is very straight and in pretty decent shape. It has 1 spot on the lower driver door that is showing some rust bubbles under the paint. The clear coat is flaking off on most of the truck, but the paint is still good. Engine wise, it has a 350 from an '80's Camero and a 700R transmission... Runs great, shifts smooth. There is a tick at start up on the front passenger side, likely a lifter, but it goes away after a few minutes of idle. The speedo is way off, supposedly due to the transmission swap. And, the gas gauge does not work (supposedly an easy fix by reading a few threads on here). The guy is asking $6k for it, but it is negotiable.

I'm going to go back and look it over again. I'm taking a buddy with me that knows more about vehicles than I do. My knowledge on these trucks does not stretch very far. I had a '70 C10 back in high school, which is why I'm looking for another one. Is there anything I need to really pay attention to and look for? Maybe I've already seen it, and just failed to mention it here.
Attached Images

EagleChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:26 PM   #2
LongBox

Re: New member... looking to get a truck.

Welcome to a great group! And good to see you share the same great taste in old trucks that we do.

With the photos available, I'd be careful with this one. The cab/cowl/doors do not seem to line up properly. Could be a minor assembly issue, or may be a sign of previous serious damage.

Originality is worth money at sale time with these trucks, and there are some original bits not right with the truck, maybe just minor things, but you have to be aware of this. (Wheels, engine, Tranny, paint, and ???)

A good paint job will run around $10G, and add that to the cost of the truck, you might be into it for more than it's worth, or more than you could get a really good survivor for.

Good that you have a knowledgeable buddy helping you out. Keep us posted.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:55 PM   #3
demian5

These trucks are about as simple as you can get for a motor vehicle. Look for rust and avoid it if possible, everything else can be fixed or replaced fairly simply and inexpensively.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:33 PM   #4
EagleChief

I appreciate the quick responses. If it makes a difference, I'm not looking for a show winner, or a show truck for that matter. I want one that I can drive around, take to a local cruise-in or small show, and not care about getting bugs on it while going down the road. Something that I won't be afraid to let the wife drive, if she feels the urge to get it out, if you know what I mean... nothing against the ladies here. My wife has never driven an older vehicle before, so it'll be a learning experience for her.

I don't mind turning a wrench or working on it, I just can't do body work. It'll be something that I can enjoy as a hobby, and something that my wife & I can enjoy with my son once he gets old enough (he's 5 months now).

If it matters, I believe the hood alignment shown in the picture has been fixed. That pic is from when the current owner bought the truck. When I saw it this weekend, that alignment was correct, or did not appear to be as bad as what the picture shows. And, I had the hood opened up a couple of times while looking at it.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:50 PM   #5
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Hi and welcome to the boards This is super website with super people always willing to help with ideas, advice and/or opinions. I'm attaching a link to a thread from the site that gets posts daily.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post7738175

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:52 PM   #6
1968aj

make sure there are no rust bubbles inside cab around the sun visor area. I think that is priced high if it is a long bed for Oklahoma.
1968aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:15 PM   #7
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I just went on Oklahoma City Craig list and there are lots of trucks for sale there.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/s...+%7C+Blazer%29

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

Old 10-10-2016, 04:40 PM   #8
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Welcome to the forum!

Make sure the VIN tag inside drivers door matches the title. Open the glove box door to find the SPID that will show all the factory options. That truck has been repainted at one time and it may or may not be an actual two tone truck.

Look under the truck at the cab mounts for rust, cab corners, inner/outer rockers, floor at kick panels, around the top of windshield and top of firewall around heater boxes etc.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:09 PM   #9
EagleChief

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressbog View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Make sure the VIN tag inside drivers door matches the title. Open the glove box door to find the SPID that will show all the factory options. That truck has been repainted at one time and it may or may not be an actual two tone truck.

Look under the truck at the cab mounts for rust, cab corners, inner/outer rockers, floor at kick panels, around the top of windshield and top of firewall around heater boxes etc.
Thanks! That's some of the info I was looking for. I did check the rockers and cab corners... they are clean and in great shape (from the top side). I did not look underneath at those areas, though. I do need to get on the ground and check it out from the bottom. I'll check the headliner area, and the edges of windows, and the firewall for signs of rust.

So, the light green that is currently on the truck is not a factory color? I know there was a darker green, but I thought this color was factory, too... I don't know. I'll look and see if the SPID is there. I know the current owner has been repainting the interior to match the exterior... the previous owner painted it lime green for some reason. It looked horrible. So, I'm even wondering if the SPID is still there... I hope so.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:34 PM   #10
haycatcher

Cons: Looks like paint has clearcoat delamination , no AC, goofy color in cab, bumper up front looks tight on the driver side. The wheels look good but is he in love with them so much that the price is what it is?

Pros:Has power disc brakes and serpentine setup on engine those are wife friendly options. Sliding rear window at least if you do without AC. Both upper and lower moldings present really transform these trucks into something cool, (they bring the truck's lines out). Ultimately, I would think 6k in OK should get AC and possibly short bed?

Ask yourself what this truck is worth with steel wheels... a no AC long bed with tired drivetrain (unless he has some recent rebuild documentation).

If you have to have it, I would hit them low and research some other trucks if you are too far apart in price.
haycatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:13 AM   #11
EagleChief

I appreciate the responses and the advice. I agree with all of you that $6k is too much. Unfortunately, everything that I've seen that would be "rust free" or is an a/c cab has a price tag that is high. The prices in my area just keep going up. My thoughts were to offer $4,000 or $4,500 to start since I'd have to update/adjust a few things. He said the price was negotiable, I'm just not sure how much. I wouldn't pay more than $5,000 for it, to be honest. What do you guys think?
Old 10-11-2016, 09:28 AM   #12
specialtyretail
So,, what else you got???

Pick a maximum $ you are comfortable with,,, and stick to it.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:16 AM   #13
LongBox

Don't think it's been mentioned in this thread, but these trucks seem to have attracted lots of attention from collectors, and prices have been going up, with some really outstanding examples being advertised around $50k! With any luck, even this truck will not lose value, and most likely will increase.

And, you know, I enjoy my 69, and I can tell from the forum that these trucks bring a lot of pleasure to their owners, so if you are comfortable with the truck, and the price is ok for you, then maybe just do the best deal you can, and start driving, restoring, modding, rodding, or whatever.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:27 PM   #14
EagleChief

OK guys... another question on another truck I found. This is actually the year and color combo that I really want. 1970 Orange/White. I found one about 1.5 hrs from me. I don't have to have this color, or the year, but I had a '70 in high school and I love the color orange. If I don't find one in this color, it will eventually get painted sometime down the road.

Anyway, that's not my main concern... Can you guys tell me what is going on with the pictures underneath the truck? It appears to be some pretty bad rust. He says there needs to be some metal patched over in the floor... I'm guessing that is what he's trying to show? I'm not sure what the white goo looking stuff is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-C-...-/262663629068
Old 10-12-2016, 05:08 PM   #15
LongBox

That is a pretty rusty cab floor, and the door is pretty bad as well. Unless you are a good welder, or have a close friend in the autobody business, then I would pass on this one. I get the gut feeling that you are attracted to it because of the colour. A better one will come along, just have faith.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:12 PM   #16
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I've been looking at that truck on EBay too as I, like you, really like the orange/white combo color. That truck is a 20 footer, which means it looks great from 20 feet away but before you plunk down any cash it would need a thorough inspection. It has the right options with A/C , tilt and buckets and console. If you want to go look at it there are lots of knowledgeable board members in Oklahoma and maybe a board member would go with you to look at the truck. The price point is pretty good on this this truck. Before I even went to see it I'd want to see the spid and ask if the A/C blows cold and does it have anything needing repairs right away. Also ask if it has the wood floor and if yes, is it shot? I'm sure you will get more posts and thoughts ,ideas and advice on this truck.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:16 AM   #17
EagleChief

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBox View Post
That is a pretty rusty cab floor, and the door is pretty bad as well. Unless you are a good welder, or have a close friend in the autobody business, then I would pass on this one. I get the gut feeling that you are attracted to it because of the colour. A better one will come along, just have faith.
You are correct... the color is what is drawing me to the truck. That is my ideal color scheme. But, like I said, it isn't a deciding factor for me. The biggest concern is the rust. I can't tell from the pictures of what I'm really looking at. I know floor pans can be replaced, but I don't know if it's too much to mess with. I was hoping some of the more knowledgeable folks on here could help shed some light on it for me.

I don't have friends in the autobody business, but do have some that can repair stuff like this. And one, that paints vehicles as a side job.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:20 AM   #18
EagleChief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
I've been looking at that truck on EBay too as I, like you, really like the orange/white combo color. That truck is a 20 footer, which means it looks great from 20 feet away but before you plunk down any cash it would need a thorough inspection. It has the right options with A/C , tilt and buckets and console. If you want to go look at it there are lots of knowledgeable board members in Oklahoma and maybe a board member would go with you to look at the truck. The price point is pretty good on this this truck. Before I even went to see it I'd want to see the spid and ask if the A/C blows cold and does it have anything needing repairs right away. Also ask if it has the wood floor and if yes, is it shot? I'm sure you will get more posts and thoughts ,ideas and advice on this truck.
I agree with you about it being a 20 footer... maybe even a 30 or 40 footer. Unfortunately, I won't have the time to go look at it before the auction ends. I appreciate the tips. So, it appears my search will continue. I know, one day, I'll get my Orange/white '70. Meanwhile, I'll keep reading on here and learning as much as I can. That way, I'll amass as much knowledge as possible before I can find my truck.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:11 PM   #19
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

This doesn't look like too bad a truck. A few years ago I was dealing with him when he had it on EBay and was wanting 5/5500 for it then and he wouldn't take my 4500 offer. At his pricing now it looks like he's watched some Barrett-Jackson Auctions. I posted this cause of the colors and it looks like a decent truck. When I think of it these are the same pics he used last time when it was on Ebay a few years ago.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/131961998214?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Old 01-14-2019, 04:09 PM   #20
EagleChief

Well, after a long hiatus due to life and finances and all that "normal" stuff that goes on, I'm finally back in the saddle. During the time I've been gone, we've had a couple of kids (son & daughter), made some job changes, and all of that grown up stuff that people do.

These past few weeks, I got the itch to start my search again. It all started when I ran across another brand of truck that was a '78 model (year I was born). I started negotiating that deal and going back and forth with the guy. It was a nice, clean, no rust, short bed F150. During the negotiations, he took a little longer to respond than he usually had been, so I took the opportunity to look for my Orange/White C10.

Well, what do you know... I found 2 of them. One solid Orange that had been supposedly been rebuilt with a tiny bit of rust under the doors. I couldn't ever get clear answers from the owner and it just felt "off" and I didn't get a good vibe from him. Then, I found an Orange/White 2 tone that an older gentleman had. I've talked to him twice on the phone and had a good conversation with him both times.

I'm making a trek this weekend to check it out in person and, more than likely, going to bring it home. He has a couple of them, actually, and we briefly touched on a package deal for them.

Wish me luck! I'm excited and anxious and ready for the weekend to get here!! Man, it's going to be a long week!
Old 01-14-2019, 04:32 PM   #21
Barnfind46

Glad to see you are back in the chase! Hope the one you look at is just what you want.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:51 PM   #22
oldgold70c10
Who's got steelies?

Be sure to post up some pics!
1970 C20 Suburban 350/700R4 4.10 gearing green & white
1978 Big 10 Silverado 350/th350, working ac, 2 tone blue-My summer daily driver
1983 GMC 1500 Sierra 305/SM465 2.73 rear end

How to add a trip odometer to your 67-72 stock speedometer

How to rebuild your Q-Jet

My Truck Page
My Youtube Channel
oldgold70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:30 PM   #23
Sparky dave

Just getting to the end of restoring mine now and will say if there is any sign of rust don't choose a truck for its colour as all that colour will be coming off to check what's underneath. Maybe if rust was minimal and you had no intention of restoring then maybe. And go by the times by 3 rule. What ever rust you can see times it by 3 and that's what you will find. Better to be a pessimist when buying and an optimist when selling. Good luck and go for it you will love it!
Sparky dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:10 PM   #24
EagleChief

Here's a picture of what I'm going to go look at this weekend...

I've been watching out for rust in my search. So far, for the price, this has been the best example that I've found. A little bit of rust doesn't concern me too much. I have access to a very good body guy that can help me out (wife's cousin).
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2019, 01:03 PM   #25
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

No way you're going to find a "rust free" 67-72 truck, unless the work to cut it all out and replace metal has already been done. Just the way it is. If there is a bit of rust showing in the rockers and the floor... trust me, there is more hidden inside the lower A pillar and the cab supports.

The prices of these rigs with all the rust and problems is just mind boggling to me.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote