The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2018, 12:07 PM   #1
demian5

Lessons learned

My son has been driving the C10 around a week or so because his truck needs a few items addressed.

He says the starter is hanging up after starting for just a second, and when you rev the motor is grinds too.

He pulled the starter, looks fine, puts it back in and says now it hangs up, makes a whine when starting and grind when revving.

We get another starter and before installing, take a look at the truck.

I pulled the plastic TC cover off a while ago because it was shot, ring gear looks great.

Sure enough when he and his friend pulled the starter off, since there was no nut on the starter bracket at the front (yes it still has it), the starter was put on straight up (did it at night - didn't see bracket). So it was tweaked towards the ring gear. Loosened the starter and bracket and put through the bracket hole, voila! No more whine, but still sounds like its hanging up and when revving.

Popped the hood, listen to the noises, sounds like the motor... the damn upper alternator bolt threads let go and the alternator was up against the valve cover. Luckily the belt was still fairly tight!

So lesson learned for the kid about diagnosis.

No more grind and all is well with the world. Now to fix his truck.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:24 PM   #2
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Re: Lessons learned

Glad you found it and it was an easy fix.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:31 PM   #3
AussieinNC

Be ever so thankful he said something...and was interested enough in assisting with the fix...

So many young people, both genders, are not interested in our art...sad to live in a disposable world...

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:39 AM   #4
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by demian5 View Post
My son has been driving the C10 around a week or so because his truck needs a few items addressed.

He says the starter is hanging up after starting for just a second, and when you rev the motor is grinds too.

He pulled the starter, looks fine, puts it back in and says now it hangs up, makes a whine when starting and grind when revving.

We get another starter and before installing, take a look at the truck.

I pulled the plastic TC cover off a while ago because it was shot, ring gear looks great.

Sure enough when he and his friend pulled the starter off, since there was no nut on the starter bracket at the front (yes it still has it), the starter was put on straight up (did it at night - didn't see bracket). So it was tweaked towards the ring gear. Loosened the starter and bracket and put through the bracket hole, voila! No more whine, but still sounds like its hanging up and when revving.

Popped the hood, listen to the noises, sounds like the motor... the damn upper alternator bolt threads let go and the alternator was up against the valve cover. Luckily the belt was still fairly tight!

So lesson learned for the kid about diagnosis.

No more grind and all is well with the world. Now to fix his truck.

I always drill out that silly threaded aluminum thingy and put a nut and bolt through there with a couple of thick washers.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:20 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

It's when there are two unrelated things making what appears to be one problem that we have the hardest time diagnosing. When I had a alternator bracket bolt let go in the head it was real obvious. Gauge went to hot, so I drifted into a parking lot. One bolt had sheared, the other pulled the threads out, alternator/bracket was laying there. No brainer

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:06 AM   #6
68ihscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
Be ever so thankful he said something...and was interested enough in assisting with the fix...

So many young people, both genders, are not interested in our art...sad to live in a disposable world...

careful what you wish for ,my son wanted a truck to work on so we bought one 70c20 and well this thing has much much to be fixed (and money to do it) but over all he has accepted it and we are working on it together ,its nice when you just sit back tell them what to do and watch as they learn ..
Posted via Mobile Device
68ihscout is offline   Reply With Quote