The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2019, 08:18 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Add on AC systems.

My friend who is riddled with add is trying to set up a trade for a C20 with no AC for high performance engine parts I have. I don't think it will go through because the guy wants LS power, and I have sbc speed parts.

I am actively looking for the one I just have to have. Which to me is cheap with little to no rust, and a out of state tags. I have a title I can use, and use it as my get around.

The truck is a 80 with no ac, and while that never bugged me before. I have now gone soft, and would like to keep ac in my life. Yes I know I should grow up, and quite acting like a hipster.

So for you guys who have added a aftermarket ac to the square bodies. How did it compare to the factory set up? Did one perform better then the other?
Ziegelsteinfaust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:57 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Add on AC systems.

Its pretty darn hard to beat the factory A/C system for function. If you could locate a donor that would be a much more economical route, and parts are readily available.

With that said, I can attest that the Restomod Air system will keep the cab cold. The system I installed in Elwood, my previously owned 77 Cheyenne did a great job. I have to add that I always upgrade my the thermal barrier in my builds significantly.

I am currently installing a Vintage Air system in Jake, my 84 crewcab. I dont have any personal info as its not completed yet. I did extensive research and was able to determine that shops and individual owners that had used this V/A system were pleased with the results.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:55 PM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

Thanks, I hope you post on the results.

I have seen on other builds they installed them, but never said if the results were better or not
Old 09-25-2019, 02:54 PM   #4
Rich84

I installed VA this spring in my Ls swapped '84. It works very well. It needs to be pieced together with factory vents as the ones that come with the kit are pretty cheesy. Otherwise I cam quite happy with it.
I will be getting the factory air working in my '86 soon. Then I will have something to compare it to.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 02:56 PM   #5
WyattTX

Just order a vintage air kit intended for factory AC, and then gather the OEM AC parts that you don't have. I saw another poster do this on a 78, and it resulted in a factory looking AC with all new major parts. He seemed to like it. You might be able to find the thread here if you look hard enough.
WyattTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:31 PM   #6
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattTX View Post
Just order a vintage air kit intended for factory AC, and then gather the OEM AC parts that you don't have. I saw another poster do this on a 78, and it resulted in a factory looking AC with all new major parts. He seemed to like it. You might be able to find the thread here if you look hard enough.
The truck does not have factory AC. So it would need a full kit.

My concern was you see people swapping in complete aftermarket kits, but how do they compare?

The cost of fixing a factory system, and a completely new system is not far off. Especially at the price I want to pay for a project. Since I want a 450hp small block, 4R70 trans, 14 bolt SF with 4.86 gears, stepwise bed, and all on a C20 chassis. I am a fan of the factory big brake option. So I don't want to pay a premium for a finished truck, and I will end up getting what I get at some point.

So I want to be careful when parts/money exchange hands.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:52 PM   #7
WyattTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
The truck does not have factory AC. So it would need a full kit.

My concern was you see people swapping in complete aftermarket kits, but how do they compare?

The cost of fixing a factory system, and a completely new system is not far off. Especially at the price I want to pay for a project. Since I want a 450hp small block, 4R70 trans, 14 bolt SF with 4.86 gears, stepwise bed, and all on a C20 chassis. I am a fan of the factory big brake option. So I don't want to pay a premium for a finished truck, and I will end up getting what I get at some point.

So I want to be careful when parts/money exchange hands.
I know the truck doesn't have factory AC, I was implying that you should modify it to factory AC specifications for best looks and functions (it's better to buy a kit made for a factory AC, rather than to get the retrofit kit, in my opinion). The poster I was referring to in an earlier post used an aftermarket vintage air kit. He seemed happy with it. One good advantage of the new kits, is that they run on cheap and abundant r134. If you set up your truck with a 100% OEM set up, you'll either have to convert to r134, or pay a high price for some r12.
WyattTX is offline   Reply With Quote