The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-13-2019, 12:47 AM   #1
Mayor West

Question Needing advice on vapor lock problem.

Greetings,

The truck:
1983 K5 350 HEI with Holley SA 670cfm , TH350 trans, and 4WD

I get good pressure (at initial idle) and good vacuum.

I am looking to put an end to the vapor lock problem I have been running up against all summer and would like some friendly advice on some Ideas I have. Generally leading with the less invasive cost effective measures first.

One main thing is what are people’s thoughts on wrapping stainless headers? I did not wrap mine because I understood it to be unnecessary. However, they create an immense amount of heat! So if wrapping would help and lessen my vapor lock woes, I am all for it. Advice?

Secondly, I am installing a Holley Mighty Mite (12-427) electrical fuel pump to slightly pressurize the fuel before the mechanical. Also, as a potential fix is to fill up with non-ethanol gas. By adding slight pressure to non-ethanol fuel I may be able keep the fuel from vaporizing altogether. One can hope.

What makes for a good fuel line (or fuel line wrap) to battle heat transfer? Any recommendations? If headder wrap can be recommended, which is the right one to go with?

A much later project will be adding an in-tank EFP. I would like to upgrade to a 31 gallon tank and may as well do it at the same time.

Let me know if I left out any pertinent info, and thanks for all the help!
Mayor West is offline   Reply With Quote