The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2018, 02:30 PM   #1
elorenzof

Engine Crossmember help.

I need some advise from someone who has replaced an engine crossmember. sorry for the long post.

I have a 1970 c10 2WD. in the year since i've had it ive cleaned/ rebuilt / replaced ALOT in the engine compartment. I am now getting ready to replace the engine crossmember and get rid of the filthy 48 year old gunk on the existing one. there is now way i would get this clean the way i want it to be. so I purchased an engine crossmember from a local guy and got it all cleaned up and it's ready to go on with a new front disc brake conversion kit from Classic industries that also updates the ball joints and i got dropped spindles to boot. So here goes my question? How difficult is this job? what preperations do i need to accomplish this? as far as i can see, in order to DROP the existing crossmember, I have to remove: front shocks, brake lines and hoses,take off engine mounts. i already have the steering linkage taken off for the new kit coming in. I have new engine mounts, new bump stops for upper and lower control arms etc. Do i have to support the engine somehow? if so, what have you done to support it? what else needs to be removed? I do have access to an engine hoist if need be but i'm limited on space, in my driveway, and i'l have the truck on jack stands on the frame under the cab. please any help and advise to get this project done would be appreciated. Again, sorry for such a long post.
Attached Images

elorenzof is offline   Reply With Quote