The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2003, 01:54 PM   #1
>X<
registered IWATA user

brake problems on the 71

was going to work yesterday and truck wouldnt stop. made it home, filled up on fluid, and it stops after a couple pumps. so today i ws gonna bleed the brakes, discovered that the rubber line right before the caliper is ruptured. how do i get it off? the nut looks stripped. also the fittings that you loosen to bleed them are stripped. argh, i have things to do today and dont need to be working on this truck!

Take off that Von Dutch hat before i stab you with a 000 Mack.
>X< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 02:30 PM   #2
racedvl
Account Suspended

Hate to say it, but sounds like your gonna need to do a brake rebuild. . .
racedvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 02:35 PM   #3
racedvl
Account Suspended

Also, I had the same problem with my 69. Had to kinda "pump it" to get her to stop. So I installed a new master. Well, after getting that installed, I was pumping the brakes in the driveway (thank God), and On the 3rd pump, the pedal went striaght to the floor. The pressure that the old master couldn't do and the new one could, blew the rear brake hose!!! Long story short, new rear wheel cylinders, steel lines going to them, new rubber hose, and new steel line from the hose to the front of the cab.

Replace anything that does not look good. It's a PITA, but it worth it for your safty, and the safty of others.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:15 PM   #4
>X<
registered IWATA user

do the calibers from a 72 3/4 ton up to a half ton?????auto zone cant get them till wednesday,. argh!!!

Old 03-30-2003, 06:35 PM   #5
racedvl
Account Suspended

No calipers from a 3/4 are diffrent from a half.
Old 03-30-2003, 08:57 PM   #6
>X<
registered IWATA user

well this day sucked. my truck is taken apart under the carport and auto-zone-crap wont have the caliper in till wednesday. i hate bumming rides. but hey, while is up i might get around to putting on the swaybar. i also took out my crappy inner fenders today, its gonna finally be easy to change the back sparkplugs.

Old 03-30-2003, 10:51 PM   #7
krue
Designated A-hole!

Sorry about your troubles man. It just proves that for every silver lining there is a black cloud.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 11:08 PM   #8
>X<
registered IWATA user

oh well, while the calipers are off i will blast them and paint them in pontiac blue. might look cool

Old 03-31-2003, 12:12 AM   #9
Blue Beard

That's why you need a backup ride.
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 05:56 PM   #10
>X<
registered IWATA user

yeah, thinking about a Honda Rebel, parents would never let me, but who cares. i'm scared to death of the little cheerleader whose dad bought her a new tahoe 4x4 with winch bumper. "daddy i think i dented my tahoe on a guy on a motorcycle, am i gonna be punished from going out this weekend?"

Old 03-31-2003, 08:19 PM   #11
>X<
registered IWATA user

ok, the rubber lines that go from frame bracket to the brakes are crap. the nut that is on the wheel side is striped. my dad wanted to rip the bracket of and get the line out then weld the bracket back on, i dont like this idea. how do i get the line off to get a new one?

Old 03-31-2003, 09:30 PM   #12
>X<
registered IWATA user

can i jsut grind off the whole nut assembly, leaving the bracket, and will a new one come with all that stuff new? thanks, sean

Old 03-31-2003, 11:28 PM   #13
sam's 72

Seanh71,
I hope I got to you soon! I just read your post, there is not a nut holding the rubber line to the braket, it is a clip, ( it might be too dirty to tell that it is a clip ) but get a screw driver and tap the clip off with a hammer and the screw driver, once you have the clip out, the line will be sitting in the bracket loose, take some wire cutters ( Dikes ) and just cut the steel line, you are going to have to replace it any ways, Cut the line as close to the bracket as you can get, then just pull the hose out the bracket. Then get a new steel brake line, it runs on top of the A frame and is clamped in the A frame, just cut it as close to that clap as you can get on front and back side, ( the bolt is almost impossible to get too ) the brake line runs over to the drive side under the truck where it tee's into a brass block, take it off there, replace steel line, when you get your new caliper, it will come with a new hose, and good bleeder, install it, run the hose back into the bracket, and reclip it, then finish it up from there. I just got finished doing this on mine, the front is the easest to do. GOOD LUCK! If you need any thing else let us know.
Sam
Old 04-01-2003, 11:40 PM   #14
>X<
registered IWATA user

i was looking at it closer and after cleanign noticed a clip thing. thanks for the help though. there was a nut o the motor side that i undid that undid the steel brake line. do i still need to replace it?

Old 04-02-2003, 01:18 PM   #15
sam's 72

If it is not striped out then no, you don't have to replace it, as long as it is not leaking or has a hole in it, and you can get a wrench on the fitting it will be fine. I thought you had said that the fitting on the steal line was striped, I took it that you could not get a wrench on it, that is why I said replace the steal line, but if every thing looks goods, just get the news parts and go at it.
Sam
Old 04-02-2003, 06:58 PM   #16
>X<
registered IWATA user

sorry, i meant that the nut on the wheel side was stripped. Auto Zone doesnt carry the rubber line. crap. but i got the caliper i today so thats some progress