The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2007, 07:53 PM   #26
shifty
Questionable

Re: T56 into a 67......

I can't seem to find anything to extend my master cylinder rod farther on my WilWood master cylinder. It's kicking my ass. And I guess that's not a clevix, but .. bleh.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:36 AM   #27
slowtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR65 View Post
Hey SlowTruck,

Don't know what you plan for a shifter. I just received a do-it-yourself kit from Keisler Engineering to put the shifter in the forward inspection cover location. I haven't installed it yet but it looks good. (I am using a bench and have to do it but your location looks pretty far back)

TR
I plan on making a shifter lever that moves the knob forward and up a bit and I'm going to use the BMW seats that are in the truck now, just going to have them recovered in black. Then I'm going to build a low profile center console.

On your Keisler Engineering shifter relocation kit, is it for a T56 or another trans? because if it is that would put my shifter wright where I want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
I can't seem to find anything to extend my master cylinder rod farther on my WilWood master cylinder. It's kicking my ass. And I guess that's not a clevix, but .. bleh.

Post a pic to show what you are working with and maybe we can help.
slowtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:18 AM   #28
SchreinerM

Quote:
I just received a do-it-yourself kit from Keisler Engineering to put the shifter in the forward inspection cover location
What did the kit cost?
SchreinerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:04 PM   #29
TR65

SlowTruck,

The kit is for a T56 (from a 2005 SSR), going in my 65 short fleet.

The kit was $211 delivered from Knoxville.

Here is a picture. You have to cut and remove a section of the shifter rail and insert the new shifting lug. The reverse lockout is preserved. The new shifter locates on the forward inspection port. Instructions are included.

Here is a pic of the kit.

TR
Attached Images

LS2 Swap Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413880
TR65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:24 PM   #30
slowtruck

I wish I had seen that before I cut my floor pan so far back.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:33 AM   #31
shifty
Questionable

I didn't expect the kit to be quite that easy. I guess I have yet another expense to look into.

Is it necessary to remove the tranny to install this kit?

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:22 AM   #32
meathead95
computer illiterate

good info subscribing to thread as i am going to do this to my 2wd blazer
Old 12-19-2007, 05:15 PM   #33
TR65

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
I didn't expect the kit to be quite that easy. I guess I have yet another expense to look into.

Is it necessary to remove the tranny to install this kit?
Shifty,

I have spent a lot of time following your build thread on LS1tech, I have really enjoyed it and I learned a lot.

Yep, You have to remove the shifter rail and modify it. You follow the service manual instructions to remove it (available on the Tremec site).

Keisler was selling the kit with a modified rail but couldn't get new ones from Tremec so they came up with a do it yourself kit. They said that they would also modify your rail if you sent it to them (don't know the price).

I will post the process when I do it but I am working on the fuel system and bed replacement right now.

TR65

Old 12-19-2007, 05:22 PM   #34
slowtruck

TR65- let me know when you install and what you think of the kit.

I would be willing to do that if I had someones opinion on it.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:39 PM   #35
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowtruck View Post
Post a pic to show what you are working with and maybe we can help.
This is where i'm at ... i can't find a damned 5/16-24 (fine thread) rod extender ANYWHERE locally, you'd figure in Atlanta it would be easy, but it ain't....

so...

bored out a hole in a good location (for my Wilwood integrated resevoir MC)

took a piece of 3/16" steel and bored hole for master cylinder and the two bolts that hold the MC in, then i drilled and bolted the mount plate onto the firewall. (i will clean up the edges and maybe weld it in later). i took and ground out the inside of the firewall to give access to the allenhead bolts i used to bolt the MC into place. inside of firewall still needs some cleanup, i know. (more info in next post)
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2008, 07:41 PM   #36
shifty
Questionable

i mounted the MC then drove to Summit Racing and picked up a 5/166-24 female rod end for the MC pushrod, but it unfortunately is about 3.5" shorter than I need it to be to connect to the pedal.

so i really, really, really need a pushrod extender (5/16-24 fine male one end, female other end) to extend my post. i can't find one - can anyone help? once i get it, i can wrap this baby up!

here is the rod end i got from Summit (i think it's part# SUM-MSF5):
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2008, 09:42 PM   #37
TravisH

You should be able to get a hex coupler in that size. I haven't seen them at hardware stores but then again I don't look for them there, I've always gone to the bolt supply house.

Then you'll need some allthread, 5/16 fine is an odd size but your supply house should have it. If not pick up a length of 3/8 round stock and thread it with a die. Bevel the end so it starts easier. Sorry I can't be more help
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:33 AM   #38
shifty
Questionable

if i have a "bolt supply house" near my place, i surely can't find it. i wish i knew of one (especially one that was open on Sunday), but i haven't found it in the couple of years i've had the truck and have been doing custom stuff to it.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:59 AM   #39
smbrouss70

Shifty, I don't know where you live in Atlanta, but I went to whitepages.com and typed in "bolt" & Atlanta, GA and found 31 places. I'm sure they aren't all real close to you, and I know how bad it is trying to get around in Atlanta, but they're out there.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:07 AM   #40
shifty
Questionable

all of them are closed today, it's sunday. earlier, i tried calling the dozen or so i missed yesterday after re-hitting the chain hardware stores this morning looking for a solution.

i tried calling about 10 of them yesterday and asked for a 'rod extension' and explained the application - "i'm trying to extend my master cylinder rod which is threaded to 5/16-24". all of them carried 5/16-18 only (coarse thread) and i need 5/16-24 (fine thread). all of them have couplers, but none of them are more than 1" in length and won't give the distance i need. i could use a threaded sleeve, but good luck finding one, none of the stores i called had 5/16-24 threaded sleeves either, and - again - with a threaded sleeve, I gotta either drive to Summit Racing again and buy a male rod end, OR find a threaded rod @ 5/16-24, which, again, none of the local chain stores carry

long story short, i'm screwed, this was the only weekend i had to work on the truck for the next few weeks, so ... i'm doing other houshold projects today.

i'll just order a couple of standoffs online, or maybe if i can find exactly what i'm looking for, i'll pick that up. i'll hafta put the project on hold for another 4-5 weeks. this pretty much has been the story of my life the past year and a half. i'll never get this **** done, but i'm accustomed to that

it just kind hit me the wrong way when i went to Summit to return stuff and get the rod end yesterday. i bought the fuel line for the truck back in October '06. that was over 14 months ago. truck has been running for damn near 6-7 months now. but ... i can't drive it because of this stupid ass clutch situation. i want to do it right, and do it in a manner that is really easy for anyone here to follow using non-custom/non-special parts and do it in a way that people who don't necessarily have access to fancy equipment like band saws and welders could get away with.

i'll get there. it's just frustrating (this is the dozenth time i've run into a snag not being able to find hardware i need)

Last edited by shifty; 01-08-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:38 AM   #41
TravisH

Theres Atlanta Fasteners and Metro Bolt and Supply for starters, wouldn't know about the being open on Sunday though. I also found these lists:

http://www.thecityofatlanta.com/fastener/index.html
http://magicyellow.com/category/Bolt...tlanta_GA.html

And theres also a couple online places that popped up:

http://www.nutty.com/cgi-bin/
Shopper.exe?preadd=action&key=0010-RC5162478

http://www.imperialinc.com/grp099.shtml
Old 01-08-2008, 09:44 AM   #42
TravisH

Wow I took long enough posting that. I'm not surprised they aren't open on a Sunday but order it now and you'll have it for the next time you can work on your truck.

The threaded rod is for the connection from the coupler to the rod end, cut 1/4" short and use two nuts to lock it in place. The nutty.com place I linked above has a 3' length of 5/16-24 for around $7 I think, and $3 gets you a pack of ten couplers.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:01 AM   #43
TR65

Hey Shifty,

You can always go with McMaster Carr. I think their warehouse is in Atlanta. Anyway I get 1 day delivery here in Greenville, SC.

They have the fine thread rod and fine thread coupling nuts.

TR65

Old 01-08-2008, 06:14 PM   #44
shifty
Questionable

Thanks, guys.

I apologize, I was having a freakout moment earlier. Got a little pissed off that I hit a wall (AGAIN).

I did manage to make some progress earlier, and found a way to use the stock clutch assembly to pedal-stop after just 1.05", which is precisely (scary) what I needed to get proper engagement of salve cylinder!! And the best part is, it just took a bolt and nut I had on hand in the shop

I measured out, and I need exactly 4.25" more length in order to put the MC rod end directly bolted to the pedal. So, this week, I will be on the hunt for what I need. I would prefer to find a rod extension (female-to-male coupler/extender), but I'm still having a heck of a time. I'm going to call some more places on monday and see what I can find.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:45 AM   #45
shifty
Questionable

EDIT: I just got over my issues and ordered a 3' long 5/16-24 threaded rod and 3-4 coupling nuts. I'll just make my own standoff out of these and custom cut the threaded rod to fit. I should have enough rods and couplers to get me where I need to be.

TR56 - I checked with McMaster Carr today - what I am looking for is a "Standoff". If you do a search for standoffs in their catalog, you'll see they only sell one threaded to 5/16-18, but not 5/16-24 (same thing I've been getting from everyone).

Sad part is, two 2" standoffs with 1 or 2 1/4" standoffs like this would be ideal for my situation (or maybe 5 or 6 of the 0.75" standoffs?)

Still on the hunt today.

Man, this is tough I could couple it and use threaded rod, but looks a bit tacky IMHO.

Last edited by shifty; 01-09-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:40 PM   #46
6speed1972

Hey whats up??? I am really excited to see that other people are putting in the 6speed in their trucks too. I Put an LT1 and 6speed (Borg-warner T56) in my truck in 1998-1999. It is a 1972 chevy c10 short-bed. I will try to get some pictures on here. One of my high school friends turned me on to this website and I was really excited to see that other people out there are as crazy about these awesome trucks as I am. I love the t-56 in my truck. I wish I would have went with 373gears instead of 410gears, but one of these days I will change it. 410gears are not bad, because it is about 2070 RPM at 75mph. I believe I have 275 70 15s on for rear tires. (Its been so long since I have done any work on it that I am not 100% sure on the tire size). This is much better than the 308gears that came factory. I have the flu, but here when I get the energy I will pull my truck out of the garage and take some photos and get them posted on here or my profile. Is it difficult to post a picture on here? What is the easiest way to do it? thanks and I look forward to learning this site.

Last edited by 6speed1972; 01-31-2008 at 12:43 PM. Reason: ? left stuff out
6speed1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:18 PM   #47
kyull67

Welcome to the board! To post pics click on the paperclip icon in the reply window and another window will pop up where you can then add pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed1972 View Post
Hey whats up??? I am really excited to see that other people are putting in the 6speed in their trucks too. I Put an LT1 and 6speed (Borg-warner T56) in my truck in 1998-1999. It is a 1972 chevy c10 short-bed. I will try to get some pictures on here. One of my high school friends turned me on to this website and I was really excited to see that other people out there are as crazy about these awesome trucks as I am. I love the t-56 in my truck. I wish I would have went with 373gears instead of 410gears, but one of these days I will change it. 410gears are not bad, because it is about 2070 RPM at 75mph. I believe I have 275 70 15s on for rear tires. (Its been so long since I have done any work on it that I am not 100% sure on the tire size). This is much better than the 308gears that came factory. I have the flu, but here when I get the energy I will pull my truck out of the garage and take some photos and get them posted on here or my profile. Is it difficult to post a picture on here? What is the easiest way to do it? thanks and I look forward to learning this site.
kyull67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:30 AM   #48
shifty
Questionable

Be sure to show all the pictures of your linkage

This seems to be the thing that kills everyone. I'll show you mine if you show me yours

Old 02-01-2008, 02:11 AM   #49
6speed1972

Just to make sure I am hearing you right.... You want the linkage to the clutch master cylinder right? I used a master cylinder out of a 92 chevy truck since the vette M.cylinder was "at a terrible angle" I don't believe I added anything to the linkage. I think I just attached it to the factory clutch petal or if I remember right I welded a small bracket onto the clutch petal and attached it to that. I did this 9 years/30,000 miles ago so my memory is a little foggy. When I get over the flu, I will get some pics on here.
6speed1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:21 AM   #50
Mt Man Chad

This is some great reference info for future mod's for me!