The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2011, 07:52 AM   #1
MacGyver72

Wrecked our baby.

Yep. Coming home on Sunday night, a guy ran a red light and turned left into my right front corner. It's at the shop now needing basically a new doghouse and doors. Due to the custom paint, it'll need the whole thing repainted. The guy's insurance is State Farm. Anyone deal with them before?
MacGyver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
longbed67

Re: Wrecked our baby.

I have state farm right now... you just have to be very firm with them, dont let them tell you the way it is going to be, it is your truck and a custom one at that take charge and make sure it is done right! Let them tell me once when I was a teen when I got hit and run that I had to go to one of their approved body shops, learned the hard way now I know all the ins and outs of that crap. Good company otherwise. Collectors insurance with full coverage is inexpensive through them I pay 57 dollars per year. You will have to itemize every custom/aftermarket/NOS part with the cost to replace because most body shops wont do that they will only replace with the least expensive part they can get their hands on even when they tell you it will be a gm approved part, it usually isnt.

My 1967 C10 - Turbo 250 Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485843

(608) 214-8706
longbed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #3
MacGyver72

We have Haggerty insurance and have never had to use it. Since this was the other guy's fault, State Farm will be paying the bill and I'm already getting ready for, "We're going to give you a check for $500 since the truck will cost more than it's worth to fix it."
Old 10-18-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Any pics of the damage?
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #5
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Get your ducks in a row here, get ads of vehicles as close to identical as yours ( color not important) with their value. also if you have collector car insurance, you should have had an appraisal, if not, hire an appraiser and take him to the body shop to look at it.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
406 Q-ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver72 View Post
We have Haggerty insurance and have never had to use it. Since this was the other guy's fault, State Farm will be paying the bill and I'm already getting ready for, "We're going to give you a check for $500 since the truck will cost more than it's worth to fix it."
Give State Farm one chance, if they drop the ball. Call Haggerty and have them handle the claim, they will get the money from State Farm. Whatever you do, DO NOT let State Farm take the truck their body shop or holding area. You keep the truck till it is ready to go to your approved body shop or a check has been issued. Sign nothing from State Farm till the claim has been handled to your statisfaction, insurance companies job to get out paying as little as possible.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
domeier

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbed67 View Post
you just have to be very firm with them
Embrace the fact that they (all insurance companies,) despise you. They're dishonest, unethical and morally bankrupt. Be prepared for a barrage of bs as regards the value of your truck, and the true cost of repairing/replacing it. Get every promise and commitment in writing, and if you see a quarter on the ground while one of their reps is nearby, DO NOT BEND OVER TO PICK IT UP.
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #8
leddzepp

I had a buddy that had the same thing happen. I would try and locate some used OEM sheetmetal to replace the damaged stuff. They will use repop otherwise.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #9
hugger6933

Sorry that this has happened to you. Very stressful. Hope none was hurt,that is the main thing. For the most part insurance co. are usally as fair as they can be. I own a body shop and have dealt with some really good guys but also some real jerk wads. The most of the time ,a person will walk up to the adjuster and tell him what he has got to do, and nobody likes that. You don't people coming to your job and tell you thy know more about it then you do. That would hack you off and the wrong foot has no only been set forward but also stepped on. Now ,another thing is when you first meet with them [the insurance people] most people say I've got a lawer and am sueing. Before they have even had a chance to do their job. That would tick you off too would'nt it. I know I would have my back up and be defensive. Now, I am not in the pocket of any insurance co. in fact don't care for them I think there half crooked. I don't take any insurance work into my body shop unless it is a customer of mine from a long time and I sold them a car or truck.Just a thought about the happinings. In retrospect would you want somebody jumping on you as soon as you meet. Try to let them do their job first ,then if they are being jerkish then pull out the big guns and go for the jugular. Now the hugger bashing can begin, please go easy and leave my mom out of it.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #10
flashed

I have Hagerty on my classics and I would call them and tell them about the wreck and ask them what you should do .They have an interest in your wreck and would give good advice free. They are very good to deal with and will back you up if needed.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #11
Classic69
Love That '69

Unfortunately, I know all about your kinda hardship...been through it twice!! Hit a deer 3 years ago on a highway offramp, then the year after that, a D.U.I. ran a red light and t-boned my passenger side. Thankfully I had an appraisal done and I made sure insurance restored it back to its orginal state so I didnt get screwed over in any way. I even supplied them with dealers to order replacement parts from and I picked the shop I wanted to do the work.

1969 Chevy C/10 Truck - SBC V8, TH-350, 3.73 Posi, 1000W Rockford Fosgate Stereo System, B&M Megashifter, GT Grant Steering Wheel, Dual Magnaflow Exhaust System, Dynomax Headers, Lowered 1" Front & 3" Rear, Front/Rear Sway Bars, Racing Seats, 6000K HID Headlights

2008 Chevy Colorado LT - 3.7L I5, 4 Speed Automatic, Crew Cab, 4X4, Z71 Off-Road Package, "Ground Effects" Package, K&N Cold Air Intake, Supermod PTB, Magnaflow Exhaust w/ Resonator, 500W Kenwood / Rockford Fosgate Stereo System, Custom LED Lighting, 6000K HID Low's / High's, Blackcat Customs Gauges / Needles, Carbon Fiber Interior Accents, KrFabs 2" Lift Shackles / Torsion Bar Crank with Rancho RS5000 Shocks, Superskids Skid Plates
Classic69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:55 PM   #12
barry h.

I had a lady turn int me in my 1966 c-10 in feb 2009 and she had state farm.they started tring to give me $4500.00 but after and hour of debating whit her she cut me a check for $14,000.00 stay firm if you were not at fault.
barry h. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #13
MacGyver72

Thanks everyone. All good advice. We have an appraised value from Haggerty and they are informed and involved. The body shop I have used and trust for years thinks it may be a toss up. He thinks the frame may have been tweaked and that the work may very well be in XS of the value. We may have some tough decisions ahead in having to buy another truck. Finding a Cheyenne Super close to home was pure luck. Don't know if lightning will strike twice. We'll keep our fingers crossed and will let you all know what happens. And I just put that new carb on too. MAN!!
Old 10-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #14
406 Q-ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver72 View Post
Thanks everyone. All good advice. We have an appraised value from Haggerty and they are informed and involved. The body shop I have used and trust for years thinks it may be a toss up. He thinks the frame may have been tweaked and that the work may very well be in XS of the value. We may have some tough decisions ahead in having to buy another truck. Finding a Cheyenne Super close to home was pure luck. Don't know if lightning will strike twice. We'll keep our fingers crossed and will let you all know what happens. And I just put that new carb on too. MAN!!
Buy it back if it turns out to be a total, then replace the frame if it is needed.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #15
MacGyver72

Thanks and I may buy it back but if I have to replace the frame, I'll buy another truck and part this one out.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:41 AM   #16
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

Sorry to hear about your truck.

I did learn one thing. Glad I don't have State Farm insurance!

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #17
flashed

I hate to ask but do you have any pics of the damage ? Best of luck whatever happens with the insurance company.Lot of folks here would gladly help you find another truck or parts or just inspiration to continue truckin ,me included.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #18
treveiger

Just be firm with them an bring proof of the value of the truck an the price to fix it. State farm is good I have them, but each branch is different I bet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #19
Twist Machine, LLC

Sorry to hear.
Twist Machine, LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:09 PM   #20
Richard H.
Spanked once

You should have called Haggerty first thing and let them worry about State Farm instead of you sweating it. After all you have an agreed value with them. Whatever those two haggle out you will get paid ,very sorry about your truck.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:25 AM   #21
MacGyver72

Thanks again everyone. We have Haggerty involved and we still haven't heard anything from State Farm other than they have provided a rental truck.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #22
flashed

Do you have a link to pics of your truck before the wreck ?I would love to see them if you do.It will take time but things will work out in the end.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:11 AM   #23
MacGyver72

The eye witness puts the fault squarely on the other driver for running a red light. The police report cites him as failing to yield the right-of-way and failure to obey a traffic signal. I don't know if he got ticketed or not. State Farm is dragging their feet. It's been five days and no adjuster has contacted us. If we hadn't called THEM, there would still be no statements taken. GEEZ!!!
Old 10-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #24
MacGyver72

Oh! The body shop thinks the damage is repairable and the indication from Haggerty is that it should be under the appraised value so perhaps we can repair and not replace. Great news!
Old 10-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #25
VA72C10
VA72C10

Good news! So have you asked Haggerty to press them or just waiting since you have the rental?