The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2011, 11:30 PM   #51
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: Think I finely have the right tire size combo!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Truck looks great. Very similar combo I have planned for mine. Do you know what the backspacing on your wheels is? Most 8's seem to be 4" while the 10's are 4.5". What about the 7's?
The 6-lug 15x8's and 15x7's have a different backspace than the 5-lug ralley wheels.

5-lug:
15x8 has a 4" BS
15x7 has a 3-5/8" BS
15x6.5 has a 4" BS.
(van ralley)

6-lug:
15x8 has a 3-5/8" BS
15x7 has a 4" BS

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:45 PM   #52
GMC"ER

Thanks Lolife99 for the great diagram of what backspacing is, Thanks Robert
GMC"ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:36 AM   #53
VA72C10
VA72C10

Love the stance of the truck!!!
Old 12-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #54
68Stepbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC"ER View Post
Hey CC69Rat the big town of Surgoinsville is the Tri City area of East TN. I am about 45 minutes West of Bristol Motor Speedway next to Kingsport TN. we are so small our City limit sign says thanks for visiting on the back side!! HA! HA! But we have a great cruise in once a month with free hotdogs and a outside movie that is shown on a old store building wall with a great turn out and alot of trucks and hotrods we are small but we have around 30 to 40 cars a month and growing. This is one reason we are building the 69 stepper our 1929 Model A ford is a little slow out on the highway so we thought that a truck would be just the ticket. We love to go to all the local cruses you meet the nicest car and truck people there! Here are a few pictures of our cruise in with a few Chevys that was at one of our cruses. Oh by the way what is GG in May? Forgive me I am don't forget a newbie!! Robert
Hey Robert. My parents are both originally from Rogersville. We try to hit the downtown Fri. night cruise in at least once a year. We might have to check out the Surgoinsville cruise this year. We also used to go to the Memory Lane show at Otis' place. The GG show is short for GoodGuys Rod and Custom show. It will be held in Nashville in May. There will also be a Goodguys show at Charlotte Motor Speedway in Concord, NC at the end of October. Good Guys show info here.

There's also quite a few shows in Pigeon Forge if you ever make it down this way. Some info on TN shows HERE.

The truck looks great! I hope to see it in person this coming year.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:31 AM   #55
Mike C

I'm not trying to hijack his thread with general backspace talk, just find out what his is. I think this is a great combo for a shorty and want to steal. I have a '69 short step Chevy with leafs and am planning on keeping the 6 lug wheels, but I am going to buy the Summit truck rallys and want to see if his backspacing jives with what they sell. Which is 4" for the 8 and 4.25" for the 7. If not, I will look into buying Wheel Vintiques which has different backspacing options and so does US Wheel.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:25 PM   #56
GMC"ER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Stepbed View Post
Hey Robert. My parents are both originally from Rogersville. We try to hit the downtown Fri. night cruise in at least once a year. We might have to check out the Surgoinsville cruise this year. We also used to go to the Memory Lane show at Otis' place. The GG show is short for GoodGuys Rod and Custom show. It will be held in Nashville in May. There will also be a Goodguys show at Charlotte Motor Speedway in Concord, NC at the end of October. Good Guys show info here.

There's also quite a few shows in Pigeon Forge if you ever make it down this way. Some info on TN shows HERE.

The truck looks great! I hope to see it in person this coming year.
Hello Matt I saw your truck on your profile page and I didn't know that was your truck that I have been going wild over as I have seen it posted before! I love the cowl hood! If you get up this year come on by to the cruise in be glad to have you come by, sometimes a bunch of cars and trucks then other nights not so much but we still have fun! I get down to Pigeon Forge often as I said we have a 1929 Model A Ford all original so we only get around to local shows and cruise in's 40 horsepower will only go so fast out on the open road thats why the 69 stepper is being built. I get down that way when I go out to Deans truck farm for parts. I never got to go to Otis's place before he closed up it was said it was great! As far as the Good Guys show I will have to check that out. If it is the same show in Charlotte that they have every year my good buddy that use to build these trucks tried to get me to go this year he no longer goes but he has a reserved spot down in the infield and offered it to me say"s that the infield spots are hard to get? But I don't know if this is the same show or not? Maybe we will get together in Rogersville this coming year and met hope I have the stepper finished if not will be driving old faithful, here we are in our local Christmas parade this year. Robert
Attached Images

GMC"ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #57
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
I'm not trying to hijack his thread with general backspace talk, just find out what his is. I think this is a great combo for a shorty and want to steal. I have a '69 short step Chevy with leafs and am planning on keeping the 6 lug wheels, but I am going to buy the Summit truck rallys and want to see if his backspacing jives with what they sell. Which is 4" for the 8 and 4.25" for the 7. If not, I will look into buying Wheel Vintiques which has different backspacing options and so does US Wheel.
To answer your specific question,... his specs are these:
15x8 (3-5/8" BS)
15x7 (4" BS)

You will have a tough time trying to run any 15" wheel up front with more than a 4" BS. (4" will require grinding on the lower a-arms)

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote