The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2005, 11:20 AM   #1
87_Blazer
Getcha' Pull!!!

Hi/Lo Beam Switch

On my 87 my switch on my left hand column won't engage and "click" to switch between the hi and lo beams?? Plus it is as loose as a Vegas hooker. So my question is if I have to take the whole column apart or what?? My wipers work just fine it is just the hi and lo beams. Someone told me that on the bottom of the column there are 2 bolts or screws that I can adjust but I canot find them. Is there any truth to that?? In the meantime I just disconnected my Hi beams (yeah they're stuck on "Hi"). So if anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it!!
87_Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 12:39 PM   #2
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

tear the column down, and tighten up the tilt bolts, i'd almost bet it fixes your hi/low beam problem, it did mine. whatever you do FIX THE COLUMN, i had my tilt bolts back all the way out on me, and it locked the steering column in the middle of a turn and killed the engine. NO steering, and no power brake assist. it was FUN to stop it without hitting anything.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 01:21 PM   #3
87_Blazer
Getcha' Pull!!!

I will try to find the bolts I guess. Only thing is the steering column isn't tilt; it is fixed.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:51 PM   #4
jermasaurus

I think two screws on the left side of the column hold the dimmer switch and the ignition switch in place. Thats how I have seen alot of GMs at least. But it moves freely like you said when it is loose.

Last edited by jermasaurus; 03-12-2005 at 07:01 PM.
jermasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 07:24 PM   #5
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

hmmm, cant say i've ever seen a fixed column get loose. i've abused GM steering columns in more ways than most people can think of, and the only failures i've ever had, were ignition rack and ignition cylinder problems, and the tilt assembly bolts.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 10:10 PM   #6
87_Blazer
Getcha' Pull!!!

it's not actually the column itself; but the wiper/hi-lo beam/cruise control switch. The column itels is solid. Just the lever is all sloppy. I can pull the lever back; but I don't get the "click" and engagement for the lights. Like I said the wipers are fine; (cruise control never worked). It has me stumped that's for sure!!