The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #1
bigblock73
yeller

Pretty ticked right now...Rally wheels

So the tires on my "new" '75 are pretty old, dry rotted, and one has developed a slow leak now. I decided to pick up some Rally wheels, I had 2, found 2 more locally. Brought them to the powdercoating shop and had them coated. Brought the newly coated wheels, along with four used (but virtually new) tires to the tire shop...told them what to do, and I would pick up the truck tomorrow on its new wheels and tires. Just got a call from the tire shop...3 of the 4 wheels will not fit the truck, the hub center is too small to slide over the spindle and drum center...about 3/16" too small.

What the hell?! I thought these wheels were identical from 73 all the way up to the end. Now I have to find a machine shop to hog out the centers, without damaging the powdercoting...and will obviously have to touch up the machined surface with a primer and/or paint.

Has anyone else heard of this, regarding the Rally wheel difference?

Also, any feedback on the machining process...what would be my best option?

So irritated right now, I don't have a bottomless checkbook, and the last thing I needed was this.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote