The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #26
leddzepp

Re: What heater core did you buy??

I used an aluminum. Works great, no leaks, no complaints.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #27
406 Q-ship

Not for my truck, but I just bought a core for my Chevelle from Napa and it is brass. I think the price was 45.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:14 AM   #28
mustardjimmy71
toys'r'us

I finished my heater core install today.

I used duct seal for making my gaskets. Its a mouldable, waxy clay bar, that you can get from an electrical wholesaler. it says it can be used for constant use up to 190F. I just rolled it in my hands like playdough and made 3/8'' ropes of it. I normaly use it on power wires and refrigerant lines where they enter buildings. I sealed the core to the box and the box to the firewall. Then I sealed where the pipes stick out the box. I want every available btu in the cab.

I filed off the sharp points of the bracket screws so if they did hit the heater core they would dent it but not pierce it but they cleared. No worries there they cleared.

I used 2 hammers to thin out the bracket where it didnt fit under the pipe. I layed it across the face of a 4lb and hit it with the top edge of a ball peen. 3 second fix.

Lots of crud inside the box. Cleaned everything on the firewall realy good with some gojo hand towels and hosed it all off. I think i might clean the whole engine bay now that theres a shiny spot.

I fires the jimmy and it made way more heat and more flow than ever before
Sorry i didnt take any pics i was in a hurry.
Any questions just ask.
mustardjimmy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:22 AM   #29
slikside

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardjimmy71 View Post
I finished my heater core install today.

I used duct seal for making my gaskets. Its a mouldable, waxy clay bar, that you can get from an electrical wholesaler. it says it can be used for constant use up to 190F. I just rolled it in my hands like playdough and made 3/8'' ropes of it. I normaly use it on power wires and refrigerant lines where they enter buildings. I sealed the core to the box and the box to the firewall. Then I sealed where the pipes stick out the box. I want every available btu in the cab.

I filed off the sharp points of the bracket screws so if they did hit the heater core they would dent it but not pierce it but they cleared. No worries there they cleared.

I used 2 hammers to thin out the bracket where it didnt fit under the pipe. I layed it across the face of a 4lb and hit it with the top edge of a ball peen. 3 second fix.

Lots of crud inside the box. Cleaned everything on the firewall realy good with some gojo hand towels and hosed it all off. I think i might clean the whole engine bay now that theres a shiny spot.

I fires the jimmy and it made way more heat and more flow than ever before
Sorry i didnt take any pics i was in a hurry.
Any questions just ask.
Exactly! One project always leads to another, doesn't it?
slikside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #30
MusicMan70

I used an Autozone "Spectra" I think? I appreciated that it was a Canadian-made brand. My truck 1970 has a/c and I believe it was the original brass/copper type. The replacement was Aluminum and was a bit thinner diameter-wise, but I was able to still use the factory brackets that retain it in the housing. It went back in with ease. No leaks to report. This was done very recently.