The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2017, 09:43 AM   #1
MalibuSSwagon

CPP Trailing Arm Conversion - Spring Selection

Alright guys, I'm getting setup to start installing the CPP Trailing Arm kit on my 86 C10. Having trouble with spring selection. I wanted to get the rear fenders even with the tops of the tires. I understand it's kinda subjective. CPP was not much help with this. Was thinking of buying their 4" rear drop coils and then using drop blocks if not low enough.

So I am asking if anyone here has done the swap, would you mind posting pictures of your truck and the rear springs you are using, tire size, and if any drop blocks are involved. I would appreciate it. Thank you!
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:30 AM   #2
bluex

Re: CPP Trailing Arm Conversion - Spring Selection

I doubt you get many answers on this as it seems anyone that does this swap has never seen the internet. For what it's worth most 67-72 guys will say get the first inch from a block so you don't have to run as much of a drop spring. My arms have the 1" drop built in, I don't remember if CPPs do or not. I can't help on the spring but from what I remember the truck they based their instructions on used a 4" spring an no blocks. I'm pretty sure it listed them in the install article in their tech section.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:43 AM   #3
MalibuSSwagon

Yea the install article on their site was from Hot Rod magazine. I was thinking the same route, go with a 4" spring and then add a drop block if needed. That way I still have a good amount of spring travel. I'm actually using a set of stock arms I got from California, I'm too cheap for the fancy tube arms.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:08 AM   #4
MalibuSSwagon

Did some more googling and came up with these conclusions (at least I'm good at something).

CPP sells 3", 4", and 5" rear drop coils for 60-72. They also have an HD 4" drop coil. Hmmm. I do still need this to function as a truck after all. So more searching to see if the HD coil rides good, harsh, whatnot. I didn't want the buckboard ride like I have with the 3/4 ton rear leaf springs now. Seems with the 5" drop coils the truck is unusable besides cruising. Put anything in the back and you're riding on the bumpstops. Likely the same with the LD 4" coils. Too little spring can be bad too. From the little I could find, seems HD 4' drop coils are the ticket.

http://c10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17219
Old 02-02-2017, 12:23 PM   #5
SCOTI

Run a set of bags. Dial in the height you want & then get more capacity if needed by simply adding a little more pressure. Air supply can be as simple or complex as your budget allows (Schrader valves or elect valves & height sensors).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:29 PM   #6
bluex

He has a good point, you could put rear bags on it with Schrader valves for probably not a whole lot more than the drop springs.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:55 PM   #7
MalibuSSwagon

Results are in! CPP 4" HD coils on a squarebody with the CPP trailing arm kit. Front right now is still stock springs with 2.5 drop spindles. Not unreasonable, I was able to fit 3" over axle exhaust. Handling is good, it's stiff but not harsh, just smooth.
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2019, 11:50 PM   #8
Loco83

Lets see some pics of your setup.
Loco83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:51 AM   #9
Mattchu60

I really want to see pictures of the spring setup you have. I installed a CPP trailing arm kit last summer and had terrible trouble with it regarding the angle of the coil spring mounts that they provided. I ended up cutting and re-welding everything.

I have not been able to drive mine yet as its still all under construction, but glad to hear you like it. I did 4" drop springs and a 1 1/2" block on mine.
Mattchu60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:52 PM   #10
MalibuSSwagon

I did have trouble as well bolting up the springs. Took me and a buddy considerable effort to get them all lined up and bolted.