The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2019, 10:05 PM   #26
TKCR

Re: Pitterpat's 84 C20 mild build

If you clean those rust spots up a little and then spray some of this. I have used it, works pretty good. https://www.summitracing.com/oh/part...2002/overview/

On the seat, I can keep an eye out for you. But the only way to get just the seat bottom, is to find a used one. I come across seats occasionally, that the seat covers are still decent.

Last edited by TKCR; 04-08-2019 at 07:37 AM.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:29 PM   #27
pitterpat

No picture.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=783971
pitterpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:31 PM   #28
pitterpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
Here’s what it is:
https://www.classicparts.com/1973-87...xoC_cwQAvD_BwE

It was installed from the factory. Most of the time, it falls apart with age. But yes, it was/is under the padding. There was more up front, but it’s already covered up with the padding.
Mine is different than your. The padding is attached to the masonite and there is no sign or smell of tar.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:41 PM   #29
pitterpat

Quote:
If you clean those rust spots up a little and then spray some of this. I have used it, works pretty good.
On the seat, I can keep an eye out for you. But the only way to get just the seat bottom, is to find a used one. I come across seats occasionally, that the seat covers are still decent.
What are the best places you've found to get new vinyl? I could just make the seat cover, I have an industrial / heavy duty sewing machine. My dad made 2 sets of seat covers for my 69 Rambler. He would take the seat covers off and use them as the pattern. I'm pretty good with a sewing machine.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:27 AM   #30
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitterpat View Post
Mine is different than your. The padding is attached to the masonite and there is no sign or smell of tar.
There won’t be any smell of tar. And the term “Tar”, is not literally. It’s more of a deadner material. Sometimes the padding gets stuck to the mat, mine was like that up front. Once something wet, like 30 yr old spilled pop that bakes in the sun, the padding will get stuck to it. I had to try and clean some of it off, that’s when it started crumbling, so so some of it got thrown away.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:38 AM   #31
TKCR

Quote:
No picture.
I updated the post. I forgot to add the link for the Rust Transformer
Old 04-08-2019, 07:52 AM   #32
pitterpat

Quote:
There won’t be any smell of tar. And the term “Tar”, is not literally. It’s more of a deadner material. Sometimes the padding gets stuck to the mat, mine was like that up front. Once something wet, like 30 yr old spilled pop that bakes in the sun, the padding will get stuck to it. I had to try and clean some of it off, that’s when it started crumbling, so so some of it got thrown away.
The masonite, can that be bought anywhere? Or is it best to just go with a sound dead er then put the pad over it. I don't have carpet, I've salvaged a pretty good rubber mat from another truck.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:09 AM   #33
TKCR

Quote:
The masonite, can that be bought anywhere? Or is it best to just go with a sound dead er then put the pad over it. I don't have carpet, I've salvaged a pretty good rubber mat from another truck.
I posted a link back on Post #24. Classic Parts $40
Old 04-08-2019, 08:13 AM   #34
TKCR

When I did my truck, I went overboard. I did the Peel & Stick sound mat, Fat Mat. And then I reused the “Deadner Mat” from the factory. Then I put down a foil backed padding, got it from Home Depot. And then the new carpet had jute padding already attached to the back of the carpet.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:11 AM   #35
LT7A

I'm glad that you decided to keep this truck, and welcome!

I have a similarly outfitted truck and am keeping both the CB and the canopy. You may consider some options for a radio that don't require cutting the dash -- it's always nice to keep that intact if it has survived this long. There are options if you want input.

TKCR is very well qualified to help with the interior questions you are asking. I also think you are referring to the bituminous sound dampening that was installed at the factory when you say masonite. It may not be in every truck if it was installed as part of an option package -- I don't know. You can leave it in place or remove it and replace it with other products. If it's in your way, there are some products that can be lighter and still be effective, just ask.

Good luck and do what you need to do to save the truck. Some times the simple fixes are the best because many vehicles have perished while the owners waited to have enough money and/or time to fix it with nice or new parts. Thanks for telling us about your process. We'd be up for hearing whatever history of it that you care to tell. We pretty much all like to hear when someone saves their dad's truck.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:00 PM   #36
pitterpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
I'm glad that you decided to keep this truck, and welcome!

I have a similarly outfitted truck and am keeping both the CB and the canopy. You may consider some options for a radio that don't require cutting the dash -- it's always nice to keep that intact if it has survived this long. There are options if you want input.

TKCR is very well qualified to help with the interior questions you are asking. I also think you are referring to the bituminous sound dampening that was installed at the factory when you say masonite. It may not be in every truck if it was installed as part of an option package -- I don't know. You can leave it in place or remove it and replace it with other products. If it's in your way, there are some products that can be lighter and still be effective, just ask.

Good luck and do what you need to do to save the truck. Some times the simple fixes are the best because many vehicles have perished while the owners waited to have enough money and/or time to fix it with nice or new parts. Thanks for telling us about your process. We'd be up for hearing whatever history of it that you care to tell. We pretty much all like to hear when someone saves their dad's truck.
LT7A, thanks for reading and responding. Our weather here in Indianapolis has been much like the Pacific NW, lots of rain. The weather has impacted my opportunities to work on the truck, it sits out side and I'm just trying to do some basic stuff but it's been raining so much I can't get a lot done...hopefully better in July.

I don't have much history on this truck. I know my dad bought it used in May of 1995. He had rockers put in like in 2002 and had the motor and transmission rebuilt in the summer of 2010 (for like $2500). He died in the November of 2010, sudden death, he just fell over dead at 85. He lived a good life, was retired with no job for 23 years. Man of the depression.

I hope the rain stops in July. I'm trying to get the inside clean (too much humidity to clean and get it to dry). Then put some floor padding down, old cleaner oem pad and a new to me rubber floor covering. This truck was the model without carpet. It has a manual transmission. I'll put the CB back in, I have a used oem GM radio, new speakers and an amp setup to run my smart phone from (like the setup in Sweet Pea). I'm not concerned about it looking bad on the outside but want it to be good on the inside as best I can.

Thanks again.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:12 PM   #37
pitterpat

Finally got cab cleaned

Tonight I finally had the time and correct weather to get the cab cleaned up. I
used some stuff called Awesome (diluted of course) a small detail brush, sponge couple of small buckets of water and a lot of elbow grease. Is it perfect clean, NO, but it is clean enough. Much cleaner than it was.

1st 2 are b4.
Last 3 are after.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2019, 09:45 PM   #38
TKCR

Lookin good Pat!
Old 07-30-2019, 06:41 PM   #39
pitterpat

Quote:
Lookin good Pat!
Thanks.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:50 PM   #40
pitterpat

Re: Pitterpat's 84 C20 flooring options

I'm looking to put this felt under the padding of my truck on the floor boards. It's really extra, extra thick landscaping felt. Since I'm not going to put sound deadening because I don't want to peal it off in a year I thought this felt would do the trick, it's about 1/8" thick? Thoughts...
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2019, 03:34 PM   #41
Tsoptich83

Looks like you are making some decent progress. Were you able to get the seat bottom fixed? You seem to have a good project truck on your hands. Good Luck.

My Project: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=771429
Tsoptich83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:41 PM   #42
pitterpat

One big problem. When taking the seats out broke off a bolt, need to get it out. What is the best way? It is the front drivers side bolt, hard to access on the backside.
Pics, bolt readily accessible from in the cab, not so easy on the backside. That is the broken off part on the cab side.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2019, 07:54 PM   #43
TKCR

Drill it out. Use a smaller drill bit, smaller than the bolt and threads of the weld nut. Once you get most of the bolt drilled out, you might be able to knock the rest out. Then you can tap the hole and it’s ready for a new bolt. Had this happen in my truck. I had 3 out of the 4, break on me. And the 4th, the whole weld nut broke off!
Old 09-09-2019, 08:13 PM   #44
pitterpat

Quote:
Drill it out. Use a smaller drill bit, smaller than the bolt and threads of the weld nut. Once you get most of the bolt drilled out, you might be able to knock the rest out. Then you can tap the hole and it’s ready for a new bolt. Had this happen in my truck. I had 3 out of the 4, break on me. And the 4th, the whole weld nut broke off!
Thanks, I started that but I think the drill bit was too small. I don't care if the weld nut comes off, actually I hope it does. Probably will, it's rusty enough.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:30 PM   #45
TKCR

Quote:
Thanks, I started that but I think the drill bit was too small. I don't care if the weld nut comes off, actually I hope it does. Probably will, it's rusty enough.
Yeah, I did the drill bits in stages. Started small and worked up to a bigger size. Just never got bigger than the bolt itself, so the threads didn’t get damaged. It took awhile just to do one broken bolt.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:13 PM   #46
LT7A

Is the rest of the bolt accessible underneath? Soak it with penetrating oil above and below and put vice grips on the part that sticks out below and twist it on through? I might have it wrong but I think most of the cab floor bolts go through the floor a fair amount.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:02 PM   #47
pitterpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Is the rest of the bolt accessible underneath? Soak it with penetrating oil above and below and put vice grips on the part that sticks out below and twist it on through? I might have it wrong but I think most of the cab floor bolts go through the floor a fair amount.
It is sort of accessible. I've tried to get it from the side (lazy). I have to crawl under the truck through the middle under the engine, to get to it. Going out to look at it now.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:43 AM   #48
dmack91

Another option is climb under the truck and break the weld nut off, and the broken bolt with it. Then replace with a conventional bolt and nut.
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:24 AM   #49
pitterpat

Quote:
It is sort of accessible. I've tried to get it from the side (lazy). I have to crawl under the truck through the middle under the engine, to get to it. Going out to look at it now.
Not as accessible as I thought, will have to drill out.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:27 AM   #50
pitterpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmack91 View Post
Another option is climb under the truck and break the weld nut off, and the broken bolt with it. Then replace with a conventional bolt and nut.
Not as accessible as I thought, breaking off the weld not may induce a bigger hole. I'll just drill it out and take my chances pf not creating a big hole.