The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #6176
heathbirkendahl

Re: What did you do to your truck today!

Tinted and installed new back window.

Had to reuse my rubber since the LMC would not work. WAY to big.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #6177
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Looked under her yesterday when I heard a sort-of rattle. The Lummox that did my exhaust has more than one broken weld....
What was I to expect? The guy's a pro. But I'm not saying pro-*what*! I guess a complete re-do of the $350 job I paid him is in order.
And I brought the new Series 40 Flowmasters to the party.

So, for the very short run, today I climbed under and did a garage-fix on the broken pipe-hanger .

While I was down there, I grabbed a couple of 1/2" open-end wrenches and gave the hand-brake another tweek (tightening).
Still not quite enough. Then, I started to re-wire the horn. Turns out I made a bad solder on the buton. Quick fix.

So I detailed (kind-of) the stuff around the tailgate. No real detail...'Cause, like my son-in-law said, "Hey! I thought this was a truck"
when he threw the first pile of about 500 lbs. of yard-stuff in the bed and I winced and bellowed at him.

He was correct. But I still made him throw the rest in a little more gently.
Attached Images

But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 02-28-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #6178
quick60

Painted backingplate on pass side front.
Painted brake parts I had soaked in rust remover.
Found hard fuel line leaking so drained the tank and removed it so I can bend up another.
Fixed license plate light.
Treated rust I found lurking behind driver tail light housing.

Found carb is leaking fuel and radiator is leaking anti freeze. One step forward two steps back. I will be glad when I can drive it.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #6179
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Smile Re: What did you do to your truck today!

I put the new tailgate on today. I am overall happy with it and it has all the correct trim.

All I need to do now is get it the correct color which will come when the weather gets better here in Michigan. It is not 100% perfect but does not have the bow in it like the other gate does.

It was fun being able to go to the storage unit and just work on it for a while. I will get better photos when I get it back out of storage.

Spring is coming.
Attached Images

Last edited by TBONE1964; 03-01-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #6180
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
I put the new tailgate on today. I am overall happy with it and it has all the correct trim.

All I need to do now is get it the correct color which will come when the weather gets better here in Michigan. It is not 100% perfect but does not have the bow in it like the other gate does.

I was fun being able to go to the storage unit and just work on it for a while. I will get better photos when I get it back out of storage.

Spring is coming.
Looks great! I like the trim

Seeing as you just adjusted it so it closes properly, what tips can you give me to get mine to shut better? One side latches in fine, but the other side tends to pop loose.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #6181
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Looks great! I like the trim

Seeing as you just adjusted it so it closes properly, what tips can you give me to get mine to shut better? One side latches in fine, but the other side tends to pop loose.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thank you sir, yes I love the trim.

Is your gate centered in between the box sides? Can you move the gate from side to side with your hands? If you look at the photo from the inside of the bed, you can see the guide through the stake pocket hole. If your guides are knocked out to far it will let the gate move side to side. Make since? If the gate moves to far in one direction it is possible that it can pop out of the latch.

Also if the bed sides have got spread out over the years or the truck ran with no gate for a while, it could be spread a little. That is easy to fix with a come-a-long.

Another thing I have done in the past is to shim the latch on the side that pops open. You have to use flat washers and cut them so they can slide in between the latch and the gate. This is an option if your gate is centered and the gaps are good.

I actually got lucky and did not have to adjust anything.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #6182
TBONE1964
Cluster King

P/S, I cannot wait to get the correct bumper on my truck and rid of that late model thing.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:22 AM   #6183
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Thank you sir, yes I love the trim.

Is your gate centered in between the box sides? Can you move the gate from side to side with your hands? If you look at the photo from the inside of the bed, you can see the guide through the stake pocket hole. If your guides are knocked out to far it will let the gate move side to side. Make since? If the gate moves to far in one direction it is possible that it can pop out of the latch.

Also if the bed sides have got spread out over the years or the truck ran with no gate for a while, it could be spread a little. That is easy to fix with a come-a-long.

Another thing I have done in the past is to shim the latch on the side that pops open. You have to use flat washers and cut them so they can slide in between the latch and the gate. This is an option if your gate is centered and the gaps are good.

I actually got lucky and did not have to adjust anything.
Mine is centered, and it doesn't have any side to side play. Those guides are fine. You know that spring latch on either side? One latches in fine and has plenty of overlap to keep it in place. The other side doesn't overlap enough when it pops through, and so the slightest bump pops it out. This tailgate is not original, although it has probably been on the truck for 30 years.

What do you mean by a come a long?

Thanks for your help!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2013, 01:24 AM   #6184
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
P/S, I cannot wait to get the correct bumper on my truck and rid of that late model thing.
I wasn't gonna say anything lol, but I did notice and I'm glad to hear that. You might try placing a local classified add on your local tv station's web site. Remember my old 1999 chevy wheels I had on my truck? I sold them for $200 yesterday
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2013, 01:35 AM   #6185
woodwright
Enjoying left field

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathbirkendahl View Post
Tinted and installed new back window.

Had to reuse my rubber since the LMC would not work. WAY to big.
What kind of tonneau cover is that?

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD
Old 03-01-2013, 02:08 AM   #6186
woodwright
Enjoying left field

Nevermind.

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD
Old 03-01-2013, 03:20 AM   #6187
ksucatz
Suppose to be workin........

Not able to do much outside the last couple of days

I did try out some electrolysis to remove rust on the rear bumper brackets I got from Randy.
More pics to follow...
I did get caught up on reading what everyone else did too!!
'72 LeMans
"03 Trailblazer
"Stupidity is like a skill, some are born with it and some develop it over a period of time."" Author unknown
Old 03-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #6188
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Mine is centered, and it doesn't have any side to side play. Those guides are fine. You know that spring latch on either side? One latches in fine and has plenty of overlap to keep it in place. The other side doesn't overlap enough when it pops through, and so the slightest bump pops it out. This tailgate is not original, although it has probably been on the truck for 30 years.

What do you mean by a come a long?

Thanks for your help!
Posted via Mobile Device
Sometimes if our trucks run without a gate for a while and get loaded (used for a truck) The sides of the bed will spread out. A come-a-long is a tool that you can use to hook in the stake pockets and pull the bed sides back to there original location. It sometimes is not even noticable to the eye but has an impact on the gate latching.

It does not sound like you have this problem. If your gaps between the bed sides and the gate are good then I would check the latch it self. Is it extending out as far as it can. These are spring loaded and sometimes the springs get weak. That with some natural aging will make them stick. make surte it is coming all the way out. use the good side as a guide.

If the latch is working as it should, you may have to shim it out. I would start with some 3/8 flat washers and stack them to about a 1/4 inch thick and place them in between the latch and the gate. If you have a way to cut a slot in the washers, then you don't have to remove the bolts all the way.

Look at the photos that magwakeenercew2jh posted above. You can either shim the latch in the gate or shim the stricker that is bolted to the bed side.

Last edited by TBONE1964; 03-01-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #6189
Towstrap

made some new stickers today going to put window in soon

truck is orange too
Old 03-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #6190
copmagnet555

Hey guys. Its been almost a year since Ive posted on here... Funds have kept me from doing much on my truck however lately I have used this forum a lot for my new swap. I pulled out my tired wore out 250 straight 6 this past friday and between saturday and sunday for 12 hours each I installed a 400+ horsepower chevy 350 that I actually built myself. I dont have any pictures on the computer yet but I would like to get them on here this weekend sometime. It was a pretty straight shot. A lot of little stupid stuff I had to overcome that I wasnt expecting for example the old starter was wore out and wouldnt crank the new engine but yet cranked the old just fine. As a reminder I have a 67 c20 with a 4 speed that I plan on doing a lot of other things to. Any questions please feel free to ask and pictures will show here soon
Old 03-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #6191
71K20chevy

Beat out a couple dents today on mine
Old 03-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #6192
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Sometimes if our trucks run without a gate for a while and get loaded (used for a truck) The sides of the bed will spread out. A come-a-long is a tool that you can use to hook in the stake pockets and pull the bed sides back to there original location. It sometimes is not even noticable to the eye but has an impact on the gate latching.

It does not sound like you have this problem. If your gaps between the bed sides and the gate are good then I would check the latch it self. Is it extending out as far as it can. These are spring loaded and sometimes the springs get weak. That with some natural aging will make them stick. make surte it is coming all the way out. use the good side as a guide.

If the latch is working as it should, you may have to shim it out. I would start with some 3/8 flat washers and stack them to about a 1/4 inch thick and place them in between the latch and the gate. If you have a way to cut a slot in the washers, then you don't have to remove the bolts all the way.

Look at the photos that magwakeenercew2jh posted above. You can either shim the latch in the gate or shim the stricker that is bolted to the bed side.
Thanks! Sounds like I need some washers
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #6193
midniteblues

picked up some red oak today from the local lumber mill for my stepper
the guy said its was only cut 4 days ago. so after getting it home I "sticked"
it up in the far corner of the garage so it can dry out.
you can see its still really wet.
good deal for $45
hopefully It dont get too bowed or checked

planing/doing my build i hope too too be installing it sometime next spring

here's the kids bed i did with wood from the same mill it sat for a year also. his is wet and dirty
Attached Images

'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #6194
THE BOSS

i mounted 1 of my new 36" Super Swamper Irock on a new black matte finished rim, put one the truck, drank 3 beers looking at it trying to decide if i like the rim color?

i like chrome shinny things!

there's not many options in 15" X 10" wide 8 lug any more.

i bought the new never used tires first from a privet seller super cheap then had to find rims.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #6195
Chris Binnett

I stuck on one 2.5" drop spindle, only to find out my Rally wheels don't fit any more. I have the 8" ones from a truck, so now I have to find a pair from a van

The driver side bottom ball joint is stuck so I'll beat on it some more in the AM. Then off to the local yards on a rim hunt! There are a ton of chevy trucks and vans at the local pick n pull.

C
Old 03-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #6196
buckskins4ever

I got my new Ridler 695 20x8.5 and 20x10 mounted today.....wished I could figure out how to download pics.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #6197
THE BOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckskins4ever View Post
I got my new Ridler 695 20x8.5 and 20x10 mounted today.....wished I could figure out how to download pics.
i use photobucket.com
a free site, upload there, copy paste to here.
first upload at photobucket
with 2 tabs opened, on there one there
find IMG code near the picture you uploaded, click on IMG code and it automatically copies, tab back to here and paste where put your messages/comments.

click enter after paste if you do more than 1 picture, the pasted code must on it's own line. hit enter twice, three times to put space between the pictures if you want.

you can also click on preview here to see what it will look like before you submit it.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #6198
Jarwood

Carpet in and seats mounted.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #6199
Bassman53

Smile Re: What did you do to your truck today!

I stripped the andonizing off the grille of my 72- will be sanding on some this week
Old 03-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #6200
damianbryand

I decorated my air compressor and prepped the dash I got from the junkyard while my truck is being delivered to my house.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Closed Thread