The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

Angry Restoration world -Buyers beware, back orders and shipping charges!

I'm writing this to warn of a lousy trick Restoration world just pulled on me. I placed and order with them and some parts were on back order. They sent what they had right away and charged me the full quoted shipping cost of $26.35 but when the other parts came in and were shipped, they charged me another $27.22 dollars for shipping!

Because they are too cheap to keep enough of their advertised items in stock, I had to fork out this outragious ship cost for the few other items. Remember, the shipping was to be $26.35 for ALL the parts, not half of them! By the way, I never authorized this extra cost, they just took it upon themselves to put it on my card.

I wrote them about this but as I expected, no reply. It's the last order they get from me.

I've been buying parts since I was 14 from so many companies I couldn't name half of them and this is the first one to ever to do this.

I strongly recommend anyone that orders parts from ANY company to make sure they aren't going to charge another shipping fee for back orders. If they don't have the parts, they shouldn't let you buy especially if they are going to double dip on the ship charges. If so, cancel and find a better company to deal with. Maybe they'll get the message when enough people do this.

Thanks for reading,,

Bob

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
bigguy69
dazed and confused

Re: Buyers beware, back orders and shipping charges!

Wow. I have had stuff on backorder, but never had that happen
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
truckster

If you paid with a credit card, you can dispute the additional charges.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
If you paid with a credit card, you can dispute the additional charges.
I would do this for sure.... don't let 'em get away with it.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #5
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Another reason to stay away from the impersonal "shipping" companies where all they do is man the phones and try to make money.

Use the local vendors on this site whenever possible. Might cost you a bit more but most of them are fair, more knowledgeable and will answer your questions.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:09 PM   #6
dan42

I hear ya and am gonna move this thread over to the review section - we have a place for everything and that's where this needs to be.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #7
70cst

Bummer

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:04 PM   #8
lilpoindexter

LMC does the same ****.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #9
DesertCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
Another reason to stay away from the impersonal "shipping" companies where all they do is man the phones and try to make money.
Well now wait a minute, aren't we all guilty of being impersonal when we send an email (I wrote them about this but as I expected, no reply. -OP) and expect something?

If my boss had me do something and I told him "Oh, I sent an email"... I would get fried in a heartbeat.

This isn't the first thread I've seen where nobody bothered to call (as in call, on a telephone) to deal with something. No, we send an email and if it doesn't get answered... off to fry them on the internet.

Now I don't know the motivation behind this vendor, maybe they did intentionally screw you... but I kind of doubt it.

If you call and they tell you they are screwing you, at least you get the satisfaction of knowing that and respond however you will.

An unanswered email means nothing, but hey... it's YOUR $$$
Old 06-04-2011, 12:08 AM   #10
7T2

Restoration World is local to me, and they seem like good, decent people. A lot of this mail-ordering is computerized and drop-shipped from other locations. It's possible their system sent the stuff out to you as it became available and mistakenly charged your card? Things like that do happen. An automated system can't think rationally, it just does what it is told to do. I would call and get to the bottom of it, I'll bet it's just a mistake and they take care of it for you.
1969 Chevy C10 Short Bed
1972 Chevy C10 Long Bed *SOLD*
1996 C3500 Dually *SOLD*
7T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #11
mbgmike

Just for info

It was probably a mistake. Back orders are a pain for all of us in business. call them and ask why they charged again.

Drop shipping is not a bad thing like some people think. If i have a part in stock in Texas and the customer is in ,say Califonia or New mexico. Would it make sense to ship it from Texas when the part is made or the wholesaler is local? Companies TRY to get the parts to the customer the fastest way in stock or not. Parts are sold on a dailey basis. Customers call to see if in stock and it is, customers wait a few days to think or compare pricing and then order and the part is gone. Many companies have retail stores and parts can go fast.
Todays Technology things change fast. Companies are required to upgrade their online sales sites to comply with all the latest. It is hard to keep up with stuff.For example, Our site did not charge a customer automatically, we had to do it manually. We were required by the credit card companies to upgrade to the latest security changes. We did and we noticed later that when customers purchased on line, the charges were processed automatically. We did not know that until some customers mentioned it. All we did was upgrade to comply with the rules.
This only applies to on line sales and not faxed or called in orders. How can companies keep up with all the changes? (inhancements?)

You should not have been charged twice for shipping. I know that most companies are honest and are not out to cheat a customer. I am sure it was a mistake.
Just to mention we purchase parts from Large Mfg's, Whd's ,small companies etc, do you think that they do everything perfect? Remember their are people involved and some times brain cells aren't activated. I am sure if a phone call to the company with the issue it can be resolved. Another complaint we have is people say they called us 4 or 5 times and we did not return the calls. If you look at the time they did the calls its within 3 minutes. Many don't even leave a message and we don't even know why they called. Some just say "call me"
Some unhappy customers only will post or state partial statements from the vendor and not always the full statement, just what may benefit them.
My point is that NO company is perfect. Call them and I am sure the issue can be resolved.
If they do not have a phone number on their website to contact them
I would be concerned if they do not list a phone number. I don't deal with any company that makes it hard to contact them.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #12
DesertCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike View Post
Many don't even leave a message and we don't even know why they called. Some just say "call me"
... or my personal favorite - leaving a message with the phone number spoken sooooo freakin fast that an auctioneer couldn't catch it.

Good post Mike!
Old 09-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #13
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

Exclamation Re: Buyers beware, back orders and shipping charges!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike View Post
Just for info

It was probably a mistake. Back orders are a pain for all of us in business. call them and ask why they charged again.
It was no mistake. After sending them a letter about how I felt on this, they finally responded about a week later. (and gave me an excuse about why it took so long too) I got a phone call from the guy in charge and he was surprised by my being miffed about this. Said everyone charges this way. I of course corrected him on that!

He said there was no way he could ship the second part of orders for free and still stay in business. I told him to contact ANY other vendor and ask them if they charge for the second ship. I've never had it happen before. Classic parts sure doesn't do it, they broke my last order up into 3 shippments and I only paid the original cost.

I told him he should at least let the buyer know of this, not just charge their card like they did. If I knew they were going to double dip for the shipping, I would have either told them to wait and ship all at once or possibly skipped the parts they didn't have. ANYTHING but paying an extra $27 dollars or whatever it was.

I won't do business with them again, lesson learned!

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:15 PM   #14
truckdude239

Re: Restoration world -Buyers beware, back orders and shipping charges!

call and dispute the charge with your card company

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote