The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2020, 12:58 PM   #1
demian5

Straighten the end of a dock bumper

Hey everyone - I was rear ended and am getting the truck repaired. My dock bumper had previous damage, but id like to get the bed fixed and straighten the OG bumper. Any suggestions on doing it myself? Heat? Hammer?Gas anyone done this themselves?
Attached Images

1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:09 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Straighten the end of a dock bumper

Your better off taking it to a bumper repair place. Then have jigs, and presses to move that thing. Unless you already have or have access to that stuff, and just want to try.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:38 PM   #3
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
Your better off taking it to a bumper repair place. Then have jigs, and presses to move that thing. Unless you already have or have access to that stuff, and just want to try.
Thanks man!
Old 08-03-2020, 08:31 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Dock bumper, ey? That's the first I ever heard that before. I picture the bumpers you see on loading docks. I think you found your answer

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:41 PM   #5
firedemon

torch with a rosebud tip and a BFH and some patience will fix that
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:44 AM   #6
saxart

If you want it perfect, take it to a bodyshop. If you want to do it yourself and are happy with making it 95% better, I've used this technique multiple times with success.

Wrap a chain around a tree that's at least 8" across. You want the center of the chain around the tree so the two end hooks can attach to your bumper. Hook the chain ends on the bottom edge of the bumper. For that bend you're going to want to position the truck so the tree is at the very corner of the bumper, and have the chain wrapped on the tree just below waist level so it pulls UP and OUT on the bumper.

Put the truck in neutral, have about 12" of slack in the chain, and roll the truck away from the tree so that the chain tightens and pulls the bumper up and away from the truck as you roll the truck. (You obviously need to be on level ground for this to work and may need a helper to help push the truck). Each time you do this, watch the bumper as the chain tightens and you'll see if it's pulling at the correct angle and adjust as necessary. By pushing the truck (and not driving it against the chain) you can see what's going on, and have very good control over how much "pull" you're applying with each roll. It will take multiple pulls, and you'll probably be surprised at how much force it takes to pull that bumper back out, but it does work. The key is placement of the hooks on the bumper, placement of the tree, and height of the chain on the tree.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:19 AM   #7
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Dock bumper, ey? That's the first I ever heard that before. I picture the bumpers you see on loading docks. I think you found your answer
Me too. Not to change the subject of the OP's thread. But I always like to hear the different things truck parts are called by different people.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:41 AM   #8
71gmcC15

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxart View Post
If you want it perfect, take it to a bodyshop. If you want to do it yourself and are happy with making it 95% better, I've used this technique multiple times with success.

Wrap a chain around a tree that's at least 8" across. You want the center of the chain around the tree so the two end hooks can attach to your bumper. Hook the chain ends on the bottom edge of the bumper. For that bend you're going to want to position the truck so the tree is at the very corner of the bumper, and have the chain wrapped on the tree just below waist level so it pulls UP and OUT on the bumper.

Put the truck in neutral, have about 12" of slack in the chain, and roll the truck away from the tree so that the chain tightens and pulls the bumper up and away from the truck as you roll the truck. (You obviously need to be on level ground for this to work and may need a helper to help push the truck). Each time you do this, watch the bumper as the chain tightens and you'll see if it's pulling at the correct angle and adjust as necessary. By pushing the truck (and not driving it against the chain) you can see what's going on, and have very good control over how much "pull" you're applying with each roll. It will take multiple pulls, and you'll probably be surprised at how much force it takes to pull that bumper back out, but it does work. The key is placement of the hooks on the bumper, placement of the tree, and height of the chain on the tree.
Definitely dont drive it. The hooks can do more damage then good. My old bumper was straightened in a similar fation along with angle grinder cuts. It was destroyed.
04 chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab 5.3 4l60e.
81 chevy Scottsdale k10 muncie sm465 Np208 10 bolt 8.2 ( Old Green)
71gmcC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:04 AM   #9
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxart View Post

Yes I'm in the same predicament with one of the fenders on my old boat trailer...
Old 08-05-2020, 12:59 AM   #10
'68OrangeSunshine

Are the struts underneath straight? On my step bumper, from repeated hitting of unseen rear objects in reverse, there was a ''V'' kinked into the drivers side strut.
We took it off the truck, heated the metal and ''corrected it'' with a BFH. Also some sections at the ends had separated, so we welded seams back in. Some silver spraypaint over the welds and it looked great.
When we put it back together, we added a Class III trailer hitch.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote