The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2019, 11:14 AM   #1
Peanut74

Fuel tank relocation questions

Ok, I have a '71 frame that I will be relocating the fuel tank to the rear of the truck. I am in the process of test fitting the tank after removing the tire carrier and its support. In reviewing everything I have a couple of questions:

- Should the tank flange go below the frame rail or on top of it?

- How big of a notch would be advisable for the filler neck and should I reinforce it

- What is the extra line on the fuel filler side for? (Fuel return line??)
Attached Images

Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:10 AM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Fuel tank relocation questions

The items you have as fuel lines are likely return lines. The fuel line comes out of the sender.

Hog the frame out big enough but stay about a 1/2 inch away from the corner at least.

As far as Camaro or Mustang tanks I have done. I have set the tank to the top of the frame for its height.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
Peanut74

Thanks for the info Z. I'm running a mechanical fuel pump so that is why I marked the one line as a fuel line. I just could not figure out why the extra tank connection on the fuel filler side. My other big question was on fuel tank mounting. Thanks for the help.
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:55 PM   #4
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

I bought the poly tank from GMC pauls and posted in my thread that I was just going to block them off. GMC Pauls responded and said he recommended to install a vent on them to allow the tank to fill faster without backsplash. Those fittings on my tank are threaded so it made it easy for me and I used the ones in the picture. I would think it would be easy enough to find some to connect to hose as well

"Our experience has been that they should all be vented, for each vent plugged you'll increase time needed to fill the tank and risk it puking gas out the side. Dad used 1 way vents on moms Burb and the 67 Panel.
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls"
Attached Images

Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:43 AM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut74 View Post
Thanks for the info Z. I'm running a mechanical fuel pump so that is why I marked the one line as a fuel line. I just could not figure out why the extra tank connection on the fuel filler side. My other big question was on fuel tank mounting. Thanks for the help.

No matter what fuel pump you are using you will want to use the fuel line connection off of the sending unit. That will put the fuel pickup tube close to the bottom of the tank and it will also have the sock filter on the bottom of the pickup tube.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote