The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2019, 10:12 PM   #1
Isaiah92260

Turn single cable problem

I have a 1961, My turn signal never worked in the rear for the passenger side, so I decided to try and figure out the cable and switch on the column. I realized that the cable was not giving it a full throw into position to fully engage the signal for the left side. I know because I can operate the switch by Hand and everything works.
I took it apart and now I can’t get the cable to function and I believed it popped off the lever in the steering wheel
Attached Images

Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 03:18 PM   #2
Chris Baker

Re: Turn single cable problem

I'm working on a 62, same setup. Same problem. I had no rear signals no brake lights and occasionally the licence plate light would blink like a signal light. Someone had replaced the turn signal with one of those aftermarket clamp on switches. Guess they didn't want to deal with the original mechanism. I ordered the switch replacement, the signal mechanism inside the steering wheel, and replaced the stretch of wire from the firewall to the rear harness. I am now waiting on the rear harness itself as the plastic was so brittle and hard it has to go too.

These pics might help.
Attached Images

Chris Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:27 PM   #3
bhap

Make sure the hub on the steering column that holds the lever and cancel cam is centered and tight. On my 62 the hub would rotate and not allow the cancel cam to hold the signal on and occasionally would not turn off the right signal until I pulled down hard on the lever and rotated the hub a little. Tightening the three screws that hold the hub on has fixed that problem. Good luck!
bhap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:14 PM   #4
Isaiah92260

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhap View Post
Make sure the hub on the steering column that holds the lever and cancel cam is centered and tight. On my 62 the hub would rotate and not allow the cancel cam to hold the signal on and occasionally would not turn off the right signal until I pulled down hard on the lever and rotated the hub a little. Tightening the three screws that hold the hub on has fixed that problem. Good luck!
Thank you! Maybe you might know this part. When I tightened down the switch and started operating the signal, the cable pulls all the way for the right signal. But when I go down, the cable binds up and the whole cable moves but doesn’t push the switch forward.
So frustrating. I’m not sure what it’s binding up on cuz everything looked fine under the wheel and around the column.

My cable was a little kinked in a couple of areas which I tried fixing but didn’t do much. I’m assuming it’s because of the bad cable?
Old 05-02-2019, 07:17 AM   #5
Chris Baker

One problem I had with the new signal switch was that when I pushed the connector onto it the pins would push in binding the switch. Sounds like what you have going on. I solved the problem by epoxying the pins in place so they can't move. The switch is super poorly made IMO.
Attached Images

Chris Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:08 AM   #6
bhap

Take a few cable ties to the bowden cable and secure it to the steering column in a few places. This keeps the cable from flexing when trying to turn left / push down.. The cable end is "self adjusting", meaning that once you thread it through the loops on the switch, it will adjust itself. Also, I think the end of the outer cable needs to be secured on end of switch.

I was able to pry my original switch open and the clean and lubricate it. There are very few moving parts inside and is easy to understand once opened.

Last edited by bhap; 05-02-2019 at 08:15 AM.
bhap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:50 PM   #7
Isaiah92260

Hey Fellas I appreciate your replies. I read them all and you guys had some good information to point out!
Today I fixed the problem and this is how!

1. I bought a new cable from Classic Parts.

2 I took off the steering wheel, and turn signal mechanism.

3. Took off the switch and disconnected the cable.

4. Took out the bracket for the cable and the cable it’s self.

5. Re attached the new cable with bracket. Then re installed the signal mechanism.

6. I then set the switch in the center/neutral position and slipped on the wire/cable on the spring loaded clip on the switch

7. Since this new cable is s couple inches longer than the original, I positioned the switch where it needed to be along the cable so that the brackets on the switch aligned with the screw holes on the column.

8. Tested the switched and everything worked perfectly!

9. Slapped on the steering wheel, tested the cancel cam whitch worked too!
And done!
Attached Images