The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-07-2019, 04:46 PM   #426
scoot_mcgrute

Re: 1966 C10 Project Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockhoundII View Post
Wow, awesome truck. One of my favorites on here.

On a side note, I used to go to PRE quite often for work. Didn't know they did any tuning on LS stuff.
It's a fairly new service that we offer, been doing it for a few years now and then a lot more in the last year since PSI closed down. Erich is getting good at them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns 66 View Post
Nice truck!!!!!!...If you don't mind...what size wheels and tires are you running.....Im looking at 5 spoke but definitely like the way yours sits. I appreciate it a lot...John
Thanks! I'm on 275/40-18 tires and 18x9 Rev 107 wheels with 0 offset. Definitely tight in the rear but a great fitment for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
I saw a photo of your truck on the Hot Rod Network website "HUGE Holley LS Fest West Preview Gallery From Las Vegas!"

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/huge...1D61F4A7AE3B4E
Thanks for sharing! I actually saw him take the picture, I was talking with Rob with the C10R and looked over. I just hoped that my truck didn't break his camera

I will get an LS Fest recap post here in a day or 2, but the clif notes are the truck broke a bit and I fixed it each time and finished all of the Grand Champion events. Very fun time!
Old 05-08-2019, 12:07 PM   #427
scoot_mcgrute

LS Fest West 2019 recap, it's going to be a long one!

I headed to LS Fest again this year as a Truck Grand Champion competitor, I would be racing the truck on 2 autocross courses, the road course, down the drag strip and in the 3S challenge (speed stop). I had a lot of prep that needed to be done to the truck to make it pass tech and I feel that I was working on the truck right up until we left, I guess that's because I was .

Day 1 was the road course and autocross course 1. I was nervous about the road course just because I know I need more brakes but it's something that I've wanted to do with the truck so I needed to start at some point. It was going really well, brakes were hot on lap one and my buddy passed me almost immediately in his awesome LS powered 56 Chevy. I was getting the hang of the track and was catching another new friend in his S10 Blazer and was getting ready to shift into 3rd on the back straight and heard a snap and my clutch pedal fell to the floor halfway through the 4th lap. I was bummed but I knew it was an easy fix and I didn't need to be towed off the track! I got back to the trailer and started fixing the linkage, Robbie Unser and Team Speedway had the tools I needed and I was back together in no time! Autocross course 1 was a pretty fun zig-zag down and back with the potential to carry a lot of speed, I was able to pilot the truck pretty well while still fighting a few issues with the rear suspension but I was having a blast so I just rolled with it. I ended up coming in 8th out of 12 in the truck class, not too shabby but I know I can do better next year! Friday night, we went to go to dinner with some friends and we made it about a mile from the trailer when the truck just died, no warning, just died. Got a tow back to the trailer and found that I had blown the PCM fuse, swapped it out and all seemed well. We took off again to go to the hotel for the night, the clutch pedal was feeling weird and the truck died again, same fuse. I replaced that and we headed back to the trailer to get the tow rig and head to the hotel.

Day 2 started with diagnosing what was going on the night before, I found that my driver side O2 sensor was touching the aluminum case on my Dakota Digital signal converter so we got that fixed and moved on to the not so easy fix, the clutch master cylinder. Rob from PCHRODS saw the hood up and came over to see what was going on and he said he might have a clutch master in the trailer that would work, he did! I swapped it out, bled the clutch and headed to autocross course 2! Without him, I have a feeling my weekend would have ended on day 1. Autocross course 2 was similar to course 1 but a little tighter and a little more technical. My fastest run was my 2nd, it heated up and I started making poor choices and hitting cones. I was in 8th in the truck class here as well, mind you I'm still on factory suspension and an unboxed frame, I was very happy with the results! One event that we got to take part in was the vendor poker run, we walked around to the vendors to chat with them and if they participated in the poker run, we got to draw a card. The last card was offsite so we all headed out for that, on the way back, the truck started running pretty terribly and acted like it was running out of fuel but we made it back to the main gate and got towed in the rest of the way. A few minutes of sitting and the truck ran as if nothing had happened. Likely the fuel pump got a little warm and couldn't keep up anymore. I headed to the drag strip that night and got 2 runs in, the first run was a 15.7 with a 2.67 60 foot time, terrible but it was also my first time running it on the strip. My 2nd run was slower at a 16.0 but my 60 foot time got a little better at a 2.58, the truck was just heat soaked so it was pulling timing. I was happy with how it did for sure but I will be working on getting better and faster this summer!

Day 3 coming soon!
Old 05-09-2019, 05:20 PM   #428
scoot_mcgrute

Day 3 was pretty relaxed actually, the truck wasn't broken and I only had 1 event left, the 3S challenge. The course was a mirrored left and right that was a drag race into a sweeping u-turn, through a slalom and then stop in the box. Any cones hit today would result in a DNF. First run to the left was strong, I did well but struggled a bit with holding speed through the corner; I think I can fix that with some trailing arm mods. The right course, that was a different story. I was lined up next to a Gen5 Camaro and apparently beat him off the line, braked late, locked up the tires, went into a push, the push transitioned into a burnout through the slalom and I locked up the tires into the stop box. Sloppy sloppy sloppy. I got back into grid and a fellow 60-66 owner I had met earlier came over with a huge grin on his face, apparently I stomped that Camaro! We chatted a bit and then I lined up for my second run, I cleaned both sides and was happy with the results so my fiance and I walked around and picked up some swag before loading up and heading home. Such a fun weekend and I'm looking forward to some winter mods for next year! Gotta be more competitive in the Truck Grand Champion next year

G_Driven got some awesome shots of the old girl all weekend too, check em out below!

Samantha and I cruising around after fixing the short and replacing the clutch master Saturday morning!
Old 05-12-2019, 12:26 AM   #429
hank scorpio

I heard you had to be towed by a Volvo though...

Love this build. It's my favorite stepside by far.
Simpsons Nerd
hank scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #430
scoot_mcgrute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank scorpio View Post

Tis true, I was pulled back to the pits by a Volvo. I wouldn't have any other Volvo put the work in though! Thanks for the kind words, they keep me going for sure!
Old 05-13-2019, 11:42 AM   #431
scoot_mcgrute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank scorpio View Post

Just looked through Sean's thread and saw the picture

Old 05-13-2019, 11:44 AM   #432
outfield

Looks to me like the Chevy is pushing the Volvo!
outfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:06 AM   #433
hank scorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot_mcgrute View Post
Just looked through Sean's thread and saw the picture
LOL yep. I saw Sean’s car in person a couple weeks ago (the show before ls fest) and it’s just superbly well done.
Simpsons Nerd
hank scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:23 PM   #434
scoot_mcgrute

One of the really awesome things that happened down at LS Fest was meeting Ronnie Wetch from C10 Talk and having him interview me for the podcast. I don't think I did too bad, definitely there are more things I would have talked about if I had a couple minutes to prepare but oh well. Give it a listen, my part starts a little after 41:30 on the 2019 LS Fest West podcast

https://www.c10nation.com/listen-here.html
Old 07-12-2019, 07:53 PM   #435
scoot_mcgrute

Since we got back from LS Fest, the truck has kind of been on the back burner for other projects to get done around the house. I had been noticing the clutch pedal not feeling super awesome down in Vegas and during a couple trips to coffee with my fiance, I just didn't want to drive it much. I looked at it and noticed that the linkage had quite a bit of slop to it and I believe that is the reason why it broke on the road course. I sent a message to CaptainFab to see if he had experienced this before and to my surprise, a new kit was sent out the next day. I was not expecting that at all, he has been super great helping me out with this. I got the new linkage on and have been driving the truck all week and the clutch is feeling great still! The clutch has always been an issue for me but I feel like I'm ironing out all the details finally and can enjoy the truck more and more.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:24 AM   #436
scoot_mcgrute

I drove up to Olympia on Saturday for a truck show called C10s on the Capital, it was about a 250 mile round trip for me. I was nervous about the truck making the drive but it performed flawlessly and managed to pull 18MPG at speeds between 75 and 80 so I'm not complaining at all! This show was brand new and I think they had about 100-150 trucks show up of all different years and styles but everyone was super awesome. Here are a few pictures of the day

My fiance and I drove up with John and his wife, super awesome people with a really cool truck!

Some others that were going to a show as well

Pit stop

Made it! I had a great time, a couple friends of mine were there that I don't get to see at all so it was really cool checking out their trucks and catching up with them. Truck people are awesome!

This was my favorite truck there, I have been following him online so getting to see it and talking to him was really cool

His tow rig. I have an unreasonable amount of want for both of his trucks...

Clean 65

Immaculate Cheyenne Super

I also got to see Kelvin's truck too, I didn't get a picture of it but looking at his truck got me thinking about what my truck may have looked like when it was new, he did a really great job with his.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:55 AM   #437
Vincenthdfan

I was at the C10's on the Capital as well.

Had my 62 SWB there....I'm local to Olympia so pretty short trip for me.

There was a good turn out, lotta nice trucks and weather was just right.

Hope it turns into an annual event.
Vincenthdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:28 PM   #438
jweb

Why do I always find out about shows like this after they're over. It would have been cool to tag along.

I guess I will just have to wait until next weekend, we go to McMinnville every year for their show and downtown cruise afterwards. Here's the info if you're interested: https://www.cruisingmcminnville.com/
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:17 PM   #439
scoot_mcgrute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb View Post
Why do I always find out about shows like this after they're over. It would have been cool to tag along.

I guess I will just have to wait until next weekend, we go to McMinnville every year for their show and downtown cruise afterwards. Here's the info if you're interested: https://www.cruisingmcminnville.com/
I will have to check that out, thanks for sharing!

I am hosting a little cruise through Northwest C10s this Saturday, we will be heading to TMK Creamery in Canby for a little cruise in meeting at Clackamette Park at 10am and then driving together to TMK
Old 08-13-2019, 04:17 PM   #440
scoot_mcgrute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenthdfan View Post
I was at the C10's on the Capital as well.

Had my 62 SWB there....I'm local to Olympia so pretty short trip for me.

There was a good turn out, lotta nice trucks and weather was just right.

Hope it turns into an annual event.
That's awesome, what were you driving?
Old 08-13-2019, 05:03 PM   #441
jweb

Quote:
I will have to check that out, thanks for sharing!

I am hosting a little cruise through Northwest C10s this Saturday, we will be heading to TMK Creamery in Canby for a little cruise in meeting at Clackamette Park at 10am and then driving together to TMK
Sounds like fun, I will send you a PM for more details if you don't mind.
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #442
scoot_mcgrute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb View Post
Sounds like fun, I will send you a PM for more details if you don't mind.
Sounds good to me
Old 08-13-2019, 06:22 PM   #443
Vincenthdfan

Quote:
That's awesome, what were you driving?
My 62 SWB
Attached Images

Vincenthdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:29 AM   #444
scoot_mcgrute

Well, after some thought and consideration, I have decided to post the old girl for sale. She's been an awesome truck and I know that the next owner will enjoy it as much as I have!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2025948905592/
Old 10-21-2019, 03:52 PM   #445
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Quote:
Well, after some thought and consideration, I have decided to post the old girl for sale. She's been an awesome truck and I know that the next owner will enjoy it as much as I have!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2025948905592/
Do you have any plans for your next project?

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:32 PM   #446
The Rocknrod

I'm not allowed in the house:
Attached Images

The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:34 PM   #447
forestb

I always thought Texas was another country.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:13 PM   #448
The Rocknrod

I'm in Iowa right now working.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:23 PM   #449
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
I'm in Iowa right now working.
Sorry I should have put a after that. I meant no offense.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:16 PM   #450
The Rocknrod

No problem. I know it's not easy not being a Texan.